A message from Dr. Neal Smatresk

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Who is YCT and why would they be reprimanded?

YCT is called Young Conservatives of Texas, and they have been in some controversy with the liberal UNT students on things like masks, in person classes, COVID, abortion, transgender laws etc.

They want them gone for hate speech and such, but like most millennials, they started a petition and are trying to protest YCT UNT so the university can do something about it/shut them down.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

YCT is called Young Conservatives of Texas, and they have been in some controversy with the liberal UNT students on things like masks, in person classes, COVID, abortion, transgender laws etc.

They want them gone for hate speech and such, but like most millennials, they started a petition and are trying to protest YCT UNT so the university can do something about it/shut them down.

Thank you.  I shall remain silent.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

22 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

To be fair to the students who want YCT gone...it's an absolute garbage organization that gives conservatives a bad name. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

49 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If one group doesn't agree with another group, why don't they say "why" they're wrong, state their case and convince people to see their side?

Seems that some groups (from both sides) believe in their causes so blindly that they feel it is beneath them to need to discuss and explain "why" because those that oppose their points of view are not enlightened enough to understand anyway, or they just prefer to accuse the opposing person or group of being some type of phobic in hopes it will stir up public backlash. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If one group doesn't agree with another group, why don't they say "why" they're wrong, state their case and convince people to see their side?

Had a long typed out reply that rambled too much for my taste.

I'm not going to debate someone who's racist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, and/or ignorant (not referring to you, saying in general). I'm sure there are ways of changing some peoples' minds on those types of things, and props to the people who have that level of patience...I'm just not one of them.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

So.. as I understand it.. a speaker who had a position that 5 years ago 95% of people would have agreed with (and I would guess a strong majority still do), that minors shouldn't be getting sex change surgeries, is deemed as having an intolerant view by UNT's President?  Am I understanding his statement correctly?

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

YCT has a lawsuit against the school and is being guided by various conservative organizations on how to work the system to their advantage. The schools legal team can’t boot them because they are intentionally instigating things while pushing boundaries between free speech and hate speech.

Just wanted to give some background so people understand the school isn’t backing YCT at all it’s just attempting to follow legal guidance in what amounts to a lose/lose situation where both sides are drawing attention with no rational conversation occurring.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This response from ColoradoEagle is everything you need to know about why we can't have civilized discussions. People like that believe anybody who disagrees with them is racist, classist, homophobic, etc... because of differences in opinion and feels like those who disagree with them are beneath them.

So you felt compelled to lash out in a superior, uncivilized way because you perceived my statement about not engaging with hateful people as applying to you? Might be time for some soul searching. 

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Is there anyone you disagree with that’s not racist, homophobic, transphobic, classist and/or ignorant? Is that our only option? What about those people?

Plenty. Again, if you took this to apply to you personally, maybe you should look inward. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

15 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Plenty. Again, if you took this to apply to you personally, maybe you should look inward. 

Why would you assume I applied it to me personally? Didn’t think my question led to that. In no way did I take that as applying to me. 

I’m glad to see that you WOULD discuss with someone I just don’t know how you can decide who is racist, transphobic, etc and who is not. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 7

On 3/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, untbowler said:

so they want them gone because of "speech that they hate" not "hate speech" 

Honestly they should let them speak and let the campus and world make their own decisions on how nutty they truly are, that's the reason I do not want to censor CNN or MSNBC or even FOX.

Yeah I don’t know why that’s so difficult.