Reserved Tickets Sold Out for La Tech

Talon90

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

That $78m would probably be 100m now.

I have never understood why NT has the number of fans they do that want a new basketball arena.  You build new facilities usually because they are ether absolutely necessary because of deterioration or there is a need for a bigger venue.

Unless there is a massive donation to build another area, I don't see any big advantage in replacing the SPit any time soon. 

I guess it depends on the cost to update the Super Pit. It would be nice to have a dedicated basketball arena but is it necessary and at what cost? I am afraid that Coach Mac will move on to greener pastures because of poor attendance. For example, our future AAC Wichita State averaged 10,000 per game and 8,500 since the Covid with a middling team. They have a young cracker jack coach so as their record improves so will their attendance. SMU is playing well and drawing good crows. At some point when you win the regular season title , CUSA championship, go to the NCAA's and still average only 4,000 attendance it's time to pack your bag and move on because as a coach you have done all you can do.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

I guess it depends on the cost to update the Super Pit. It would be nice to have a dedicated basketball arena but is it necessary and at what cost? I am afraid that Coach Mac will move on to greener pastures because of poor attendance. For example, our future AAC Wichita State averaged 10,000 per game and 8,500 since the Covid with a middling team. They have a young cracker jack coach so as their record improves so will their attendance. SMU is playing well and drawing good crows. At some point when you win the regular season title , CUSA championship, go to the NCAA's and still average only 4,000 attendance it's time to pack your bag and move on because as a coach you have done all you can do.

I have stated on here, that I fear McCasland will leave not because of money but poor attendance.  

Unless, SMU has a different system of counting attendance for basketball than football, their numbers don't mean much.

Comparing attendance with Wichita state who not only has a very rich history in basketball, but doesn't have anywhere close to the competition for the entertainment dollar as teams in the DFW area is futile.  

Back to McCasland, Coaches mostly move up the coaching ladder in terms of money and conference, when the opportunity is there.  So enjoy him till that point, and forego the usual NT mindset; any success is short-lived. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, wardly said:

The coach might have done all he could do but did the AD really do all he could do? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

Isn’t getting a new arena all about the luxury suites?  ADs all want them if they don’t have them.  When you look at our average attendance it’s hard to argue that chopping the top third off the super pit and replacing with box suites would be a bad investment.  Would anyone here oppose that?  Where the trouble starts is when you start saying all new arena and leaving the super pit behind.  Forget cost, people here still love that place.  Myself included.

• Upvote 3

I have had this discussion over and over again on this board. It’s cheaper (and more feasible) for the university to build a new arena then to try and renovate the pit. Studies were done and the cost to renovate the pit to add what is needed and to stay in compliance is just too high to the point where it makes sense to build new.  They will keep the pit to use for graduations and events and NT will get a smaller, nicely upgraded basketball/volleyball arena on the other side of the highway. This will also align to have all athletic facilities on that side of campus. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I have had this discussion over and over again on this board. It’s cheaper (and more feasible) for the university to build a new arena then to try and renovate the pit.

Agreed.  Let's use Fouts as a comparison.  The electricity was so jacked up towards the end that they would use generators to power the old girl because it would have been so expensive to rewire everything and whatnot.   I would say that the Pit was a better built facility but there are going to be some things there that will always hamper UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Did one of the AD’s from a true P5 Big Time basketball schools who started all this say with an impish  grin:

”Hey! Lets  build a mini-gym with 5,000 less seats than our coliseum; have gold-plated plumbing fixtures in an endless number of restrooms (especially 4X’s the Lady’s restrooms); put a 4 star restaurant at the main entrance, etc. & see how many of these suckas’ try to copy us?  He continued: “I’ll bet most of those copycats will be from Texas & the Deep South!” 🙄

Seriously now: How is UNT’s expansion of the Athletic Center/Apogee End Zone Facility coming along?😳🙃

️ Moral of all this?  The NCAA D1 Venues Arms Race is with us to stay.

❇️🦅❇️ 

BEST USM!       
BEAT LA TECH! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I have had this discussion over and over again on this board. It’s cheaper (and more feasible) for the university to build a new arena then to try and renovate the pit. Studies were done and the cost to renovate the pit to add what is needed and to stay in compliance is just too high to the point where it makes sense to build new.  They will keep the pit to use for graduations and events and NT will get a smaller, nicely upgraded basketball/volleyball arena on the other side of the highway. This will also align to have all athletic facilities on that side of campus. 

Same thing happen with the Ball Park in Arlington. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Bringing the SP up to current ADA standards would be very expensive. The bottom level is completely ADA non-compliant.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have stated on here, that I fear McCasland will leave not because of money but poor attendance.  

Unless, SMU has a different system of counting attendance for basketball than football, their numbers don't mean much.

Comparing attendance with Wichita state who not only has a very rich history in basketball, but doesn't have anywhere close to the competition for the entertainment dollar as teams in the DFW area is futile.  

Back to McCasland, Coaches mostly move up the coaching ladder in terms of money and conference, when the opportunity is there.  So enjoy him till that point, and forego the usual NT mindset; any success is short-lived. 

Agreed that its hard to compare programs when targeting attendance. Houston is averaging 7,000 in a highly competitive sports market but has the rich history that we lack. However at some point you need to have comparisons as a way of determining how effective your marketing efforts are. We we have a great product but fans are not buying into it. Why?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

There is no way I will ever believe any renovation to the Coliseum would be more expensive than the cost to build a newer and SMALLER arena.  Some will disagree.  The only part of Fouts Field that was usable was the platform for the playing surface.  Comparing the Coliseum to Fouts is a wild stretch.  I think someone needs to remember where money comes from in Texas for athletics.  We banter $78 mil, or more, around like we’re talking about lunch.  Just because it’s new doesn’t make it better.  Or necessary. 

GO MEAN GREEN

A couple years ago someone laid out the actual numbers.  You believe what you want to believe, though.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

The Super Pit is fine for now. Keep on winning, actually market the team/sport, and find a way, I hate to have to say this, buy into UNT also being a basketball school. 

In the distant past we had both good football and good basketball teams we can do it again. 

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Hard eye roll...

He would leave because of a bigger and possibly better opportunity, not because our attendance isn't great. He loves what the maniacs are doing and loves this university too much to leave for such a SILLY reason.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

52 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

McCasland’s dream school is Baylor.  Even at #1 they almost never fill their arena and averaged 7700 in 2019…the last year before covid.  UNT was averaging 4500 playing in the suck belt back with JJ.  We are a fairly liberal school, and covid response has been more severe with liberals.  I think attendance will pick up once fear of covid dies down. We’re already starting to show signs that it is. All that to say, I don’t think attendance will be what lures Mac away.

👍👍

I grew up around people like GMac as a kid & teen. He’s a PK (preachers kid). I was a DK (deacon’s kid). There are quite a few of that group in Texas & they’re not just Baptist, either.  It’s Texas—not New York or Jersey.  In Texas many parents made you go to church Sunday AM & Sunday PM & (of course) Mid-Week Services every Wednesday or Thursday.  Like it or not, it’s just part of the Lone Star State culture. 

To try for the impossible & shorten this some, it’s such a background that may help North Texas keep Coach GMc longer than most here will expect—albeit some still won’t stop with their “we’re never going to be able to keep him” comments to a level of ad nauseam.  

Grant McCasland needs to be making $1,000,000 plus percs very soon, though. What does he make now—about half of that?  
$1,000,000 plus per year is an insult to that man especially where he’s at now at his production level; that is at 100 wins in year 5.  (What does Coach Jank’ make at SMU? I’d  guess at least $2-$3,000,000 a year plus some impressive percs). 

One of our best alums told me Coach Grant seems to want to build a legacy in Denton so with that he’s not just about the money, but it’s a 2-way street inasmuch that Mean Green support will need to increase right along with Mac’s trip to his eventual legacy in Denton. Who said it, but sometimes the journey is as exciting as the destination.

🦅

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1