Season Tickets

southsideguy

Well, I told the ticket office I would not be renewing my season tickets.   It was not a good feeling but I cant sit through another season with our current HC.   I had to do the same a few years after Benford drove us into the ground.   I bought season tickets when Grant was hired and I am glad I did.   I will buy season tickets when we hire a new HC for football.  

• Upvote 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

On 2/21/2022 at 4:44 PM, southsideguy said:

Well, I told the ticket office I would not be renewing my season tickets.   It was not a good feeling but I cant sit through another season with our current HC.   I had to do the same a few years after Benford drove us into the ground.   I bought season tickets when Grant was hired and I am glad I did.   I will buy season tickets when we hire a new HC for football.  

While I am listening to the new SMU coach get 30 minutes on drive time sports radio, it makes me all the more upset Seth was retained.  If this 2022 season isn’t a total waste of time in regards to the program’s long term goals it will be a miracle. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

While I am listening to the new SMU coach get 30 minutes on drive time sports radio, it makes me all the more upset Seth was retained.  If this isn’t a total waste of time in regards to the program’s long term goals it will be a miracle. 

Mike my bro I give you all due respect as a very informative poster and fan but my Dude wtf do you want?  The man won 5 straight games got us to a bowl shat his pants in the bowl game granted and yet still you can’t take away how many times we’ve gone bowling underneath him (hint 5!).  He has the next best record of a head coach here since fing Hayden Fry for goodness sakes and beat a top 25 ranked and UNDEFEATED  nUTSAck team at home.  I do not think you have pulled the trigger either so please get off your high horse!

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 10
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

I'm sorry, but with over half of the teams in FBS going to a bowl every year, that's really not a good metric any longer.  Back in the 70s when there were 15 bowl games, sure.  These days, when the powers that be literally created the "Participation Ribbon Bowl" for us and didn't even bother to repaint the football field, bowl games mean little.  How about winning records and conference championships?

I agree here. Two of our bowl games have been with losing records. And we need to actually win one of them some day. I would argue, however, that last year’s bowl selection was well-earned. It wasn’t created to get the last teams a game: it was created to fill a previous bowl that didn’t end up happening. But point taken that there are too many bowls for them to be meaningful. For us, they get us needed practice time and media exposure. Need to win them to build on that. 

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 3

I am still giving to the MGSF and buying basketball tickets, just not buying season football tickets this year.  SL suckered me into buying bowl tickets and the first games of the season came rushing back to me.    The five game run was not against good teams with the exception of UTSA.  I will not give the excuse we beat them because of the weather, we played in the same conditions.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I understand y'alls frustration with the coach and the on field product. I also understand that a message can be sent to those in charge that mediocrity is not acceptable anymore by "boycotting" football games.  There is an argument to be made that strategy only works at schools that historically have a high attendance rate, which UNT sadly does not.

However, I disagree with your methodology for coaching change.  By not attending games and providing UNT with much needed money, the program will suffer even more.  It is not advantageous in the recruiting race when a prospect sees 1/4 full stadium during an average year. It strengthens the notion of apathy surrounding our athletics program, which has been a massive struggle for UNT to overcome and change.

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, CarmanSandiego said:

I understand y'alls frustration with the coach and the on field product. I also understand that a message can be sent to those in charge that mediocrity is not acceptable anymore by "boycotting" football games.  There is an argument to be made that strategy only works at schools that historically have a high attendance rate, which UNT sadly does not.

However, I disagree with your methodology for coaching change.  By not attending games and providing UNT with much needed money, the program will suffer even more.  It is not advantageous in the recruiting race when a prospect sees 1/4 full stadium during an average year. It strengthens the notion of apathy surrounding our athletics program, which has been a massive struggle for UNT to overcome and change.

So what are you proposing we do?  Should stand by and accept mediocrity?  I think the concept of blindly putting our trust and support behind a clearly losing proposition makes very little sense.  I also see your point that at UNT it is required due to our past indiscretions.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

14 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

So what are you proposing we do?  Should stand by and accept mediocrity?  I think the concept of blindly putting our trust and support behind a clearly losing proposition makes very little sense.  I also see your point that at UNT it is required due to our past indiscretions.

I do not advise we sit idly by, bite down hard, and take it.  I just think there are avenues for change that would have less negative impact on the program as a whole. If I had the answers, I would be a very wealthy man.  But simple steps that would be more productive in my opinion are:

1. attending public events that Wren is at and address your position directly or
  2. attending forums that allow public comments
  3. show up to games with brown bag masks and signs that reflect how you feel. If TV's pick that up, it is a terrible look for AD.

Bottom line is that lack of funds and attendance will have a direct negative impact on recruiting and thus the product on the field. Lack of attendance has never been a major factor in any decision UNT has made in athletics because we routinely suffer from poor attendance. So the ticket boycott would be ineffective/unnoticed and harm the program more than it helped.

Edited by CarmanSandiego
  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, CarmanSandiego said:

I do not advise we sit idly by, bite down hard, and take it.  I just think there are avenues for change that would have less negative impact on the program as a whole. If I had the answers, I would be a very wealthy man.  But simple steps that would be more productive in my opinion are:

1. attending public events that Wren is at and address your position directly or
  2. attending forums that allow public comments
  3. show up to games with brown bag masks and signs that reflect how you feel. If TV's pick that up, it is a terrible look for AD.

Bottom line is that lack of funds and attendance will have a direct negative impact on recruiting and thus the product on the field. Lack of attendance has never been a major factor in any decision UNT has made in athletics because we routinely suffer from poor attendance. So the ticket boycott would be ineffective/unnoticed and harm the program more than it helped.

Ya because players would much rather play at brown bag university then half empty university! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

18 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Ya because players would much rather play at brown bag university then half empty university! 

As someone who played college football and participated in the recruiting process, yes. Butts in seats and people upset with coaching means there is a fan base that actually cares. Empty stands reflects apathy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, CarmanSandiego said:

Half empty stadiums send a message the brass need to see. I'm not worried about the recruiting part of it. Most schools see a solid bump in recruiting when a new coach is brought in and with the transfer portal now, there will be plenty of players for the right coach to choose from. Look at what schools like SMU have done with the transfer portal. You can still give money to the MGSF, athletic department directly, etc. so other programs do not suffer. You can also support those programs by showing up and buying season tickets like many have for programs like basketball. Enough is enough and the athletic department forced fans hands by keeping Littrell past his sell by date. Many of us have seen what we needed to see and 7 years is way too long to change that. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 2/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Mike my bro I give you all due respect as a very informative poster and fan but my Dude wtf do you want?  The man won 5 straight games got us to a bowl shat his pants in the bowl game granted and yet still you can’t take away how many times we’ve gone bowling underneath him (hint 5!).  He has the next best record of a head coach here since fing Hayden Fry for goodness sakes and beat a top 25 ranked and UNDEFEATED  nUTSAck team at home.  I do not think you have pulled the trigger either so please get off your high horse!

Other people have answered better than me.   Therefore I will ask you some questions.  

1.  Are you content with the HIGHLIGHT of a Mean Green Football season beating an undefeated TODDLER program?
  * When it comes to experience having a Football program UTSA is toddler program barely out of its infancy.  This UTSA team regardless of us beating them this year achieved more than ANY Mean Green football team in over 100 years.  That victory was heavily aided by bad weather limiting a dome team that likes to throw the ball.  That UTSA team also won CUSA Championship something this 2022 Mean Green team, barring an unforeseen miracle season, won’t do before we leave for an even tougher AAC conference.

2. Are you content with 3 straight losing seasons?  
*our best players from that 5 game run you are waxing poetic about are leaving.  BTW those are the only FBS teams we beat this year.  (Victories over FCS teams shouldn’t count towards bowl eligibility imo). 

3.  Are you content with other young football programs who pay their coaches less than we do kicking our ass more times than vice versa during Seth’s tenure?

4. Do you realize with 39 bowl games (78 teams) that getting to a bowl game only means your team isn’t one of the worst in college football?   Well over half of FBS 131 teams go to a bowl.  The current bowl landscape pales in comparison to landscape when really good WINNING  Hayden Fry teams couldn’t get a bowl invitation. 

I never would have guessed that being one game below mediocre and  playing spoiler to UTSA, a school that was 3 years away from even having  team when this Old Man graduated in 2008 would have some Mean Green fans content.  Wow.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2

On 2/23/2022 at 2:54 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought Baker would do the right thing and cut his losses to reset the program and start moving back in the right direction again.   He did not.   We got exposed in the made-up, bowl game in our own backyard with a heavily-pro-UNT crowd.   So stupid.

This. 

Wren to UNT fans:  "The beatings will continue until fan morale improves!"

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

For those that elect to withdraw support for the team/program until the current head coach is gone, what are you going to do if the team stays healthy, the previous two recruiting classes come into their own, we get above average QB play, the ball bounces our way more than not and we are able to put together a great (magical?) season next year, possibly win a championship or a bowl game and enter into the AAC on a high note with said head coach and experience similar success in our new home that lasts multiple seasons with that same head coach?  

I suppose you feel the possibility of that happening is so low that you would be comfortable pledging that you will separate yourself from all things UNT football until and only if the head coach is no longer part of the program.  In other words, under no circumstances would you jump back on the band wagon other than the departure of the head coach.  No attending games, no watching them on TV, etc.  Seems like a low-risk proposition, right?  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3