Southern Mississippi (2/24/2022)

MCMLXXX

13 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I just left a large accident on I-35.   The highways are still a bit slick, but they are improving over time as they are driven on and get treated.   

I still plan to go, but I am coming from Argyle.   This is 100% a personal decision.  

I’m coming from Argyle too.  Was bringing my neighbor and his kids, and my kids, but now looks like it’s just going to be me sans kids.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

Don’t you have some spam downvotes to throw my way?

Only when you make dumbass assumptions about people you don't know.

Since spam is defined as inappropriate or irrelevant, I would say my down vote of your flame throwing comments doesn't qualify as spam.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Armchair experts: What's less likely to send our car to the crusher? Preston or DNT from Plano to 380 and then west on 380 towards Denton or our normal route of Bush to 35 north towards Denton?

Weighing the risk of roads full of lifted 2WD BroDozers on crappy mud terrains through Frisco/Prosper on 380 or the normal narrow I-35 straight but not really straight chaos lanes through Lewisville.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Only when you make dumbass assumptions about people you don't know.

Since spam is defined as inappropriate or irrelevant, I would say my down vote of your flame throwing comments doesn't qualify as spam.

No matter how many connections you have, and insights you own, I can't get past the fact that you've been living in West Texas for a long time now.

This back and forth about today's icy roads seems like such a weird place for you to stand up and stand firm about.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

No matter how many connections you have, and insights you own, I can't get past the fact that you've been living in West Texas for a long time now.

This back and forth about today's icy roads seems like such a weird place for you to stand up and stand firm about.

You are right, but I also remember how excited the local media would get at the threat of winter weather.  They would station every available reporter out somewhere on a 635 bridge almost hoping for precipitation.

I am not trying to argue if the road conditions there are safe or not, that is for each person to decide.  I was just replying to the comment about me be the guy in the lifted Ram speeding across icy bridges.  Emmitt would probably be a good source or the TxDot website.

The crazy thing about our weather in this part of the state is that ice will evaporate even when the temperature is in the 20's.  Five or six years ago I was trying to determine if our facility should close early.  At 2:30pm with our parking lot basically resembling a skating rink, I decided to close at 5:30pm.  This would allow folks to drive home safely before dark.  Sent out the notice to everyone and by 4:30pm our parking lot was clear due to the wind and low humidity.  Craziest thing I have ever seen.  Now I just wait until the last minute.

Hope everyone stays safe and GMG!

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

For those in the Denton area, what are roads like? Is it just highways that are bad or is it everything?

I just made the drive solo to check the roads out, guys I drove from Lewisville to Denton and there isn’t a bad spot 1 not bridges not side roads not highways.  There is hardly even water on the ground.  Please get out and be safe but no reason to not drive to the game tonight.  I’m bringing my family of 4.  GMG 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

I just made the drive solo to check the roads out, guys I drove from Lewisville to Denton and there isn’t a bad spot 1 not bridges not side roads not highways.  There is hardly even water on the ground.  Please get out and be safe but no reason to not drive to the game tonight.  I’m bringing my family of 4.  GMG 

Getting everybody ready. We're leaving around 4:30 to take it slow. If we get to town early, we'll find somewhere to eat. If we don't have any time to eat before the game, what culinary delicacies are the Super Pit chefs whipping up these days? Frito pies and hot dogs?

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Getting everybody ready. We're leaving around 4:30 to take it slow. If we get to town early, we'll find somewhere to eat. If we don't have any time to eat before the game, what culinary delicacies are the Super Pit chefs whipping up these days? Frito pies and hot dogs?

You’ll make it with time to spare.  I’d eat before hand.  My experiences haven’t been too hot with the booths that have been open for games.  Luke warm hot dogs cold hamburger and sub par pretzel.  They’ve only had 2/3 concession booths opened most of the year so I’m assuming predicted numbers drives that for AD

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I usually get pretty engrossed in games and watch them on TV but for some reason this one just does not move the needle for me.  It seems like they should just give the Mean Green the win they want and be over with it.  Seems silly to have people play for two hours when most of the residents want UNT to win.  I am open to other thoughts on this. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You’ll make it with time to spare.  I’d eat before hand.  My experiences haven’t been too hot with the booths that have been open for games.  Luke warm hot dogs cold hamburger and sub par pretzel.  They’ve only had 2/3 concession booths opened most of the year so I’m assuming predicted numbers drives that for AD

Thanks. This must be why they can't "pack the pit." 🤣

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Quoner said:

I usually get pretty engrossed in games and watch them on TV but for some reason this one just does not move the needle for me.  It seems like they should just give the Mean Green the win they want and be over with it.  Seems silly to have people play for two hours when most of the residents want UNT to win.  I am open to other thoughts on this. 

TBell back on track, Rubin get more chances to run the point/attack the rim, Abou gets more reps down low, and see if the Human Victory Torch gets some decent minutes. 

Also…this is the best UNT team I’ve experienced and I don’t want to miss a chance to watch them play. GMG!

• Upvote 6