AP Poll

Clinetort

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Would be a tall order to get ranked. Michigan State (58) has the most votes without being ranked.

Overall there are 14 schools with more votes; among them 4 mid-majors with better overall records: Wyoming, Davidson, South Dakota State, and Colorado State.

What is a mid-major?

Just a derogatory made up term to tell most teams they are second rate. 

Never seen any teams referred to as high majors or low-majors. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

What is a mid-major?

Just a derogatory made up term to tell most teams they are second rate. 

Never seen any teams referred to as high majors or low-majors. 

I've definitely seen both the terms high major and low major before.  Not as often, but I have.

Here's a article from USA Today a few years back that lists all three terms.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/02/09/low-major-programs-faced-with-slim-margin-for-error/110257976/ 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I scanned through the record book.  Maybe it's there, but I couldn't find it.  Have we ever been ranked in the top 25 in basketball?  What about "others receiving votes?"  When was the last time we received votes and what's the most we've ever received?

5 minutes ago, keith said:

I scanned through the record book.  Maybe it's there, but I couldn't find it.  Have we ever been ranked in the top 25 in basketball?  What about "others receiving votes?"  When was the last time we received votes and what's the most we've ever received?

We were ranked for two weeks in like 1977.

Not sure when the last time we received votes was.

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I've definitely seen both the terms high major and low major before.  Not as often, but I have.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/02/09/low-major-programs-faced-with-slim-margin-for-error/110257976/ 

Thanks, even gives kind of definitions.

What I believe they mean when they use mid-majors is not a typically good basketball conference.   

The major conferences are basically the ones referred to as P5 in football plus the Big East and whatever Gonzaga is in. 

• Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Thanks, even gives kind of definitions.

What I believe they mean when they use mid-majors is not a typically good basketball conference.   

The major conferences are basically the ones referred to as P5 in football plus the Big East and whatever Gonzaga is in. 

I’m pretty sure only Gonzaga is actually considered high major not their entire conference. That being said the WCC is up there with the AAC as far as conference respect outside of the big 6 in basketball. 

• Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, CMJ said:

This is the "I have the receipts" of this conversation

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think this is the exception that proves the rule.

Have to search very hard to come up with high and low major references. 

They aren't that common, but I also didn't have to search particularly hard.  I found and read that article within five minutes of reading your post.