Is anyone else concerned

emmitt01

38 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I know it depends on what our roster looks like next season, but I wonder if Perry will continue to come off the bench?

If he does, it's intentional by Macasland and maybe even by choice on Perry's part. Some guys love that role and thrive in it. Think Manu Ginobili and Jason Terry in the NBA. I hope he continues in this role. He's an X-Factor just like they were for the Spurs and Mavs.

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

I feel like Ben Howland's early UCLA's squads were lightly recruited (comparatively speaking - they are UCLA after all).  But after his First Final Four team they got filled with stars.  Obviously he made it back to the F4 two more times immediately after that, but watching them a lot over those years, the toughness of those squads was the older (not as highly recruited initially) teams.  Sure Russel Westbrook and Kevin Love were the talented guys, but the grit on defense (and the reason they beat practically everyone but Florida and Memphis) during the era came from elsewhere.  He still recruited high end talent after that, but his tough early classes were all gone and Howland's tenure at UCLA was never the same.

Farmar and Afflalo were 5 star recruits and Josh Shipp was a high 4 star (43rd overall in the country) all signed in the 04 recruiting class. Those were the top scorers on those mid 2000s UCLA Final Four teams.

On the flip side, Russell Westbrook was a 3 star signed after that first Howland Final Four run.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Farmar and Afflalo were 5 star recruits and Josh Shipp was a high 4 star (43rd overall in the country) all signed in the 04 recruiting class. Those were the top scorers on those mid 2000s UCLA Final Four teams.

On the flip side, Russell Westbrook was a 3 star signed after that first Howland Final Four run.

I always thought what made those teams tick was Collison and he definitely wasn't a 5 star that I recall.  And they got their grit from guys like Mbah a Moute.  I'm not saying they didn't have stars (though I am surprised some of those guys you mentioned were as rated highly as they were), but it felt like once Howland got the F4 and only chased stars, his teams lost something they had previous.