Is anyone else concerned

emmitt01

I've said this before, but I think Mac likes getting kids who are under the radar and aren't "stars."  It fits his system.  He wants guys who will run through walls for him -- not someone who is a diva and wants to score 20 a game.

I'm not sure we'd be as good if we had WKU's talent for instance.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I've said this before, but i think Mac likes getting kids who are under the radar and aren't "stars."  It fits his system.  He wants guys who will run through walls for him -- not someone who is a diva and wants to score 20 a game.

I agree. That and it seems he likes going the Juco route. He wants guys with something to prove and who were slept on coming out of high school. Hamlet, McBride, and Perry type guys. I love getting those guys who feel like the world is against them. They play with a different type of fire.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

You should just enjoy the ride and stop worrying about other people worrying about Grant leaving. 

I am.  They should enjoy the ride and stop worrying about Grant leaving.

We need to lose the mentality that every time we have success, that coach is on his way out.  Let's make it tough to leave and make North Texas a spot coaches want to stay and make a career.  Twenty years ago I might understand this sentiment, but not near as much today.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

McCasland is definitely a defense first coach, but I disagree that he prefers lighter recruited players.

There is apparently a standard script for announcers at NT games: Ousmane comes from a big family, and most of NT players were not heavily recruited out of high school.  

I suspect Perry the mvp of the juco championship tournament had plenty of offers as did Wright who started at Washington.   Stone was offered by Ok State, and Jones and Scott were heavily recruited out of high school. 

It is true that McCasland's game is not going to appeal to a large number of players.  Players that want to play the "run and gun" style are not going to be happy at NT.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, CMJ said:

I've said this before, but I think Mac likes getting kids who are under the radar and aren't "stars."  It fits his system.  He wants guys who will run through walls for him -- not someone who is a diva and wants to score 20 a game.

I do love the story of our top players on this roster. So there is some truth to it… whether Grant is targeting those kind or not I don’t know. But whatever it is, his formula works. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Except Perry is at his dream school.  Been that way every since his cousin Jeffery Simpson invited him to campus when he was 8.

Yes I know that. It was a tease at everybody saying McCasland is leaving and always finding a way to be negative when our teams are successful. Guess y'all aren't the happy drunk type.  🙄

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, CMJ said:

Shaka Smart made his name at VCU by running a high tempo full court defense and he recruited guys that fit that style.  When he got to Texas the top recruits did not want to play that style because it wasn't NBA basketball.  Therefore he had to use a system other than what got him hired at Texas in the first place.  That's not the full reason why he didn't succeed at Texas but it's a part of it.  

I think this example is why Grant should be very choosy about leaving North Texas for another school.  He may get a bigger paycheck but may struggle with players who don't fit what he wants to do or have to coach a different type of game. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Shaka Smart made his name at VCU by running a high tempo full court defense and he recruited guys that fit that style.  When he got to Texas the top recruits did not want to play that style because it wasn't NBA basketball.  Therefore he had to use a system other than what got him hired at Texas in the first place.  That's not the full reason why he didn't succeed at Texas but it's a part of it.  

I think this example is why Grant should be very choosy about leaving North Texas for another school.  He may get a bigger paycheck but may struggle with players who don't fit what he wants to do or have to coach a different type of game. 

The other reason he failed at Texas is because athletes (football and basketball) are coddled and treated like they’ve accomplished something just by putting on burnt orange…and they become soft.  

48 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I feel like Ben Howland's early UCLA's squads were lightly recruited (comparatively speaking - they are UCLA after all).  But after his First Final Four team they got filled with stars.  Obviously he made it back to the F4 two more times immediately after that, but watching them a lot over those years, the toughness of those squads was the older (not as highly recruited initially) teams.  Sure Russel Westbrook and Kevin Love were the talented guys, but the grit on defense (and the reason they beat practically everyone but Florida and Memphis) during the era came from elsewhere.  He still recruited high end talent after that, but his tough early classes were all gone and Howland's tenure at UCLA was never the same.

Edited by CMJ