Florida Atlantic (2/17/22)

CMJ

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

1-1 would be a good week.

For sure.
Not the best week, but acceptable with keeping the goal of a C-USA regular season championship & top tournament seed in clear reach.

If NT comes home 2-0 this week, we would need to shift (ramp up) expectations of this team... probably to get closer to what the expectations are inside the lockerroom.  I bet McCasland and the guys expect 2-0 this week.  Heck, they probably expect 9-0 to finish out the conference slate.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

This is one of, if not, the most pivotal stretch in North Texas basketball history. If you can lose maybe 1 game heading into the tournament, 16-2 conference record is insane, the possibility of being an 11 seed is real and they would be on fire heading into the tournament.

Just need to have everything clicking early, especially against this FAU team that is really good at home. UAB is the same way. Stopping FAU early and draining the shot clock each possession will win the game. UAB is to stop Jelly Walker. Period.

2-0 would be a major success, but let’s focus on beating FAU first. Tall task.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This is one of, if not, the most pivotal stretch in North Texas basketball history. If you can lose maybe 1 game heading into the tournament, 16-2 conference record is insane, the possibility of being an 11 seed is real and they would be on fire heading into the tournament.

Just need to have everything clicking early, especially against this FAU team that is really good at home. UAB is the same way. Stopping FAU early and draining the shot clock each possession will win the game. UAB is to stop Jelly Walker. Period.

2-0 would be a major success, but let’s focus on beating FAU first. Tall task.

Agreed.  And I know I will pay dearly for this prediction, but I just don't see us winning the FAU game.  This has all the signs of a trapper.  We have been on such an unbelievable run that it will have to come crashing down at sometime.  It won't take away from what we have accomplished.  I cannot wait to see the battles that await us in the AAC.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Agreed.  And I know I will pay dearly for this prediction, but I just don't see us winning the FAU game.  This has all the signs of a trapper.  We have been on such an unbelievable run that it will have to come crashing down at sometime.  It won't take away from what we have accomplished.  I cannot wait to see the battles that await us in the AAC.

I can see is winning at FAU way more than at UAB. UAB is a different monster, mainly at home. They are below average on the road, but being on home court will be a huge boost. It should be a huge crowd too so that won’t help our chances.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This guy….

Why can’t we just enjoy winning for once that we don’t have to bring up trap games? 

We are playing some good basketball right now and I have never seen a UNT team play defense like this ever since I’ve graduated back in 2009. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Big Z said:

This guy….

Why can’t we just enjoy winning for once that we don’t have to bring up trap games? 

We are playing some good basketball right now and I have never seen a UNT team play defense like this ever since I’ve graduated back in 2009. 

This is a fan message board.   
He brings up a good point.   The guys could hyper-focus on the upcoming showdown with UAB, and fall at a good FAU team, the stereotypical "trap game".    I doubt they do this, but something to consider when bantering about the team & their schedule.

You know what's great about bringing FAU up as a "trap" game?   You have to be winning at an impressive clip in order for a loss to a top 5 C-USA team to qualify as a "trap".

I'm pretty sure we're all enjoying the winning!

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Seems I've heard of several other games "having all the signs of a trap game" this season.   

Stare Staring GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

How did we miss out on playing FIU this year?

Also, how many games the past couple of months have people on this board called "trap games"? I'm pretty sure we've gone undefeated in those games so far.

This will be a tough two-game stretch for sure, but this team has answered nearly every call since the Florida tournament. Unlike a Benford-coached basketball team, or Mac/Littrell-coached football team, I don't feel hopeless about a road conference game.

• Upvote 2