Brett does not project UNT to return to a bowl game in ‘22?

meangreen11

Camellia Bowl
Projection: Middle Tennessee vs. Liberty

Hawaii Bowl
Projection: BYU vs. Western Kentucky

Gasparilla Bowl
Projection: South Carolina vs. Boston College

Armed Forces Bowl
Projection: West Virginia vs. SMU

Frisco Bowl
Projection: Utah State vs. Troy

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Projection: Miami (OH) vs. San Jose State

Myrtle Beach Bowl
Projection: Coastal Carolina vs. East Carolina

New Orleans Bowl
Projection: UAB vs. Appalachian State

Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl
Projection: Arizona State vs. Air Force

Independence Bowl
Projection: Army vs. Tulane

LendingTree Bowl
Projection: Western Michigan vs. Marshall

New Mexico Bowl
Projection: San Diego State vs. Oregon State

Boca Raton Bowl
Projection: Memphis vs. Boise State

Cure Bowl
Projection: Florida Atlantic vs. Eastern Michigan

Bahamas Bowl
Projection: Louisiana Tech vs. Northern Illinois

TBA Bowl**
Projection: Louisiana vs. UTSA

Link:  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/brett-mcmurphy-releases-his-early-2022-college-football-bowl-projections/amp/

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I don't see UTSA getting back because they lose a lot of starters.  I am not surprised to see us not get picked based on our offense and the defections we have had to the portal.

UTSA coach got a massive extension/raise.  If he's as good as UTSA hopes, he will reload.  If not, then Birds will learn the hard way not to get overly excited about success at the G5 level.   It can cost ya.

• Upvote 5

Our pass rush is gone, we lost our anchor on the right side of the OL. Torrey is gone, (but I do expect others to pick up the slack), and we don't have competent qb play. I imagine we beat our FCS foe and a couple of the bottom dwellers of C-USA again. We will either be 5-7 or 4-8. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, jtm0097 said:

Our pass rush is gone, we lost our anchor on the right side of the OL. Torrey is gone, (but I do expect others to pick up the slack), and we don't have competent qb play. I imagine we beat our FCS foe and a couple of the bottom dwellers of C-USA again. We will either be 5-7 or 4-8. 

I expect much of the same. Hopefully, this will finally be the straw to break the camel's back on Littrell. I don't even see this team beating SMU like many on here expect. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

36 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

yet our hc returns for another season.   So we start from scratch when we join the AAC.  This next season should have been a rebuilding year not more of the same.

I don't think it would have been a "rebuild".    There's so much talent here, it would have just been a shift in focus & leadership the players benefit from.  The benefit would be that the new culture would have a year to percolate/strengthen before jumping to the AAC.

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Brett is wrong, with over 50% of teams getting bowls.  I expect NT to not only get a bowl but be in the CUSA championship race. 

spit-out-drink-spit-take.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Don't worry.   
We moved one of the best OL coaches in the country (at least at the G5 level) over to coach these guys, because, of course, his OL coaching acumen will certainly translate to coaching QBs!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Nah, this schedule is soft...unbelievably soft, actually. SL is the luckiest SOB to coach at UNT in the past 40 years to get this cupcake schedule. Last year's was brutal for what we had on the roster and he managed 6 wins. This year, that schedule is an easy indicator of whether he gets extended or fired. 7+ wins at a minimum, even with Aune at QB...now, we won't beat any teams with superior talent, as usual. SMU, Memphis, UAB, and anyone else like UAB that we get in the East will pound us into the ground. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, keith said:

2022 bowl predictions in February?  This is getting ridiculous.  Anyone know where I can get the 2023 and 2024 predictions?  Trying to make some travel plans.

Then again, we will be on Covid Variant Omega and will have to attend in hazmat suits.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Nah, this schedule is soft...unbelievably soft, actually. SL is the luckiest SOB to coach at UNT in the past 40 years to get this cupcake schedule. Last year's was brutal for what we had on the roster and he managed 6 wins. This year, that schedule is an easy indicator of whether he gets extended or fired. 7+ wins at a minimum, even with Aune at QB...now, we won't beat any teams with superior talent, as usual. SMU, Memphis, UAB, and anyone else like UAB that we get in the East will pound us into the ground. 

UNLV only won 2 games last year, but they lost several games by 1 score. This will not be an easy game.

Eastern Washington 35 UNLV 33

Fresno St 38 UNLV 30

UTSA 24 UNLV 17

Utah St 28 UNLV 24

San Jose St 27 UNLV 20

San Diego St 28 UNLV 20

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

UNLV only won 2 games last year, but they lost several games by 1 score. This will not be an easy game.

Fresno St 38 UNLV 30

UTSA 24 UNLV 17

Utah St 28 UNLV 24

San Jose St 27 UNLV 20

San Diego St 28 UNLV 20

I agree, but they aren't more talented than we are by a lot, like the ones I mentioned. I suspect we will go 1-3 in OOC, like we always do, then we will get crushed by UAB, then lose another game somewhere else along the way, someone like La Tech, who is usually a physical team that we can't compete with. UNLV, anyone in CUSA East (except FAU), and anyone in CUSA West (except UAB) are opponents we aren't overwhelmed by, talent-wise. 

If Marshall, USM, and ODU are gone, that leaves possible CUSA East opponents in FAU, FIU, Charlotte, MUTS, and WKU.  I'm assuming FIU will stay on our schedule, then we will add two of the other 4, so that we play 3 teams over there and then these 5 in the CUSA West (UTEP, UTSA, Rice, LT, and UAB).

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Fresno St 38 UNLV 30

UTSA 24 UNLV 17

Utah St 28 UNLV 24

San Jose St 27 UNLV 20

San Diego St 28 UNLV 20

We beat NutsaCK by 22, so UNLV must really suck.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, NM Green said:

You’re missing the obvious. No bowl game predict by BV means we are headed to New Years Six! 

GMG

I mean, it's a nice and clearly intentional click-bait thread title, but one should be able to see from the link that the author is Brett McMurphy and not Vito. Vito posts his stuff here directly, anyway.

• Upvote 3

On 2/15/2022 at 8:48 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think it would have been a "rebuild".    There's so much talent here, it would have just been a shift in focus & leadership the players benefit from.  The benefit would be that the new culture would have a year to percolate/strengthen before jumping to the AAC.

spit-out-drink-spit-take.gif

I just don't see the talent that you are referring too. Looks to me like another 7 loss season.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1