Are you optimistic about the future of UNT Athletics?

Jonnyeagle

Are you optimistic about the future of UNT Athletics?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you optimistic about the future of UNT Athletics?

• Yes. The future is so bright I have to wear 🕶
    • No. We have some very difficult days ahead. 😢

I would say Yes overall, with some question marks

Wren has really shined in some of his hires. McCasland and DeLong being the two best.

Jalie has been okay, and we don't know about volleyball yet.

Hedlund is Hedlund. As long as he's here I trust women's soccer will be a powerhouse. Sheffield has also been solid on the Track and Field front, and the golf teams are always competitive. Can't say much on swimming and diving.

Littrell is completely uninspiring and is not a good coach. Football is the gateway to the university, and if we don't fix it, we're doomed to fail as an athletics program.

That being said, we're certainly in a much better position going forward than we were 5 years ago

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We have different definitions of powerhouse. 

I get that. He's been medicore in the NCAA tournament, but never having a losing season and winning a title (regular season or tournament) almost every year is insane. 

I wish his style was little more offense focused to better compete with teams in the NCAA tournament, but as far as all time coaches at UNT? Hedlund is easily the best and most consistent.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Athletics overall, yes. Football, absolutely not. With some of the losses we had this offseason and bad track record with QB's under Littrell, I don't even know if this team finishes with a winning record next year in what was supposed to be "their easiest schedule in years."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Depends on the goal. I doubt we’ll ever break into the top echelon of college football.  This is in large part because of the current state of college football.  The top of college football, and college sports in general, are running away from everyone else and leaving little hope for anyone to catch up..  Our entire athletics is about as good as it’s going to get right now.

Footbal may be able to put together a few top 20 seasons but not consistently and it wont be enough to move us up to a top conference.  

• Upvote 3

So the reality is that the future success of football and basketball are what truly matters here.

1.) Football appears to be stuck in a quagmire. Best thing that could happen is a bad year in 2022 and SL gets fired, but a super soft schedule probably buys him an extension for another 3+ season after this. This program is not looking bright at all.

2.) Mens hoops is in the best shape of any revenue program in our history--except for attendance. That last part is kind of a big deal. But Grant has elderly parents who live close by and he needs to be close to them. That helps us alot...until or unless a big job opens up nearby, like TCU, SMU, or his alma mater, Baylor. Well, Scott Drew ain't leaving anytime soon, Jankovich is having a great year for SMU, and then there's Jamie Dixon, head coach at his alma mater, TCU. He's losing his welcome down in FW as they continue to be average (at best) in the country's best league for hoops.  Would TCU fire Dixon and hire McCasland after this season? If no, I don't see GM leaving here now. But when his parents are no longer here, he's gonna have so many options, it won't even be funny. And it will be at places that get more than a third of the Super Pit full for games.

3.) Womens hoops has Jalie Mitchell and she bleeds green. Just hopeful she continues to build relationships here in TX with the HS coaches and can build us up into a Tournament team in the years to come.

So I'd say its mostly cloudy--and rain is in the forecast if SL comes back after next year, with severe weather possible if Grant leaves.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

2.) Mens hoops is in the best shape of any revenue program in our history--except for attendance.

A valid point but you at least have to grant that there have been restrictions tied to the pandemic which have hindered the normal attendance we would have seen.  I mean you have to at least acknowledge that is an issue for some of our more elderly season ticket holders.  My thinking is if Grant keeps winning we will see a big uptick as the virus minimizes over time.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1