At what point does the NCAA try to regain control?

El Paso Eagle

The transfer portal is a mess. Schools/ boosters are openly paying under the cover of NIL. Uncontrolled amount of "of-the field" staffing. Keep telling yourself P5 and G5 are in the same division

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-reportedly-working-to-hire-david-cutcliffe-arch-manning

image.png.bffabc48a6f53f80bc683ff28892fb14.png

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

They should try and hopefully can get some relief before college sports are completely ruined. 

The actually dynamic of the NCAA is much more like a league commissioner (hired by the owners) than an actual governing body.  As soon as the major interest holders (the big money programs) see the NCAA as a liability, they'll just start something more aligned with their interests. For this reason, the NCAA acting in its own self preservation, will just go along with whatever.

• Upvote 2

I think it's basically up to the University presidents. But to be honest, the money is too great and they don't seem to care about the "student" athletes as long as the money is being deposited. Does anyone associated with the Universities even care about their (athletes) education anymore?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I still cannot help thinking that the P5 is a bubble just waiting to burst. I don't begrudge players demanding the transfer portal & NIL and the financial rewards that come from it. I also can't gripe about coaches trying to make as much as they can. But, the end result is that for the P5, the connection between players & coaches with their schools is getting weaker and weaker. If the allegiance of players and coaches is only driven by who pays top-dollar & the schools do nothing to create the same educational experience for players that it does for regular students, that means that alums of P5 schools share no connection to the coaches & players from their schools and are doing nothing more than rooting for laundry. I realize that this has always been somewhat the case, but today it is much more explicit. That's why it gets harder and harder for me to care as much as I once did about my own school.

This is where I think the G5 has the opportunity to be an alternative where someone playing for your school has actual meaning.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This is a good read, thanks for link sharing, but how many more threads are gonna tell me to stop telling myself P5 and G5 are in the same division? Is this some high-level intel that only a small investigative faction of GMG.com know about?

Sure they are in the same division in a type of symbiotic relationship that really benefits both parties. 

The P5's have most of the prestige and money, but want some easy home wins that pad their record.  Also they want to avoid any anti-competition issues that would quickly arrive if they excluded the G5's from their organization. 

The G5's get both money and attention by playing the P5's.  

Some should recognize that P and G only refers to the conferences teams are in.  It is not an official term.

P5's have had a monopoly on the best bowl games and all the national championship games.   Cincinnati broke that up last year and made the terms less meaningful. 

The G5's are not the same as the FCS (division 1aa) classification.

If you were around in NT's FCS days, you should know how little attention that level of football gets.  

• Upvote 2

The monster the Big boys are creating will come back and eat their own. The fact that Kiffin in the SEC is voicing concerns is great. It means those low level programs even in the big conferences realize they are about to get purged.

That big pool that sits below most SEC programs half the Big 10 and a few programs west of the state of Arkansas is who we need to be aligning with in our future league.  It will be competitive fan friendly and interesting for the followers.

I could see us in a league with Houston Oklahoma state Texas Tech Kansas Kansas state Mississippi Mississippi state Memphis Missouri Colorado Arizona Arizona State. Not necessarily these exact programs but this tier. 

In the interim let’s launch into the American and get to know our new conference mates. Kick some tail and win on exit from CUSA. 

Way to go Mean Green Hoops! 
GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The NCAA is not gonna try this until the congress gives it legal cover to actually do so. Court cases recently have shown that trying to do so without such cover would be futile. Now when (and whether it will do so at all) congress is gonna give succeed is another question. Last year i would argue it didn't even really give it the college try.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, NM Green said:

The monster the Big boys are creating will come back and eat their own. The fact that Kiffin in the SEC is voicing concerns is great. It means those low level programs even in the big conferences realize they are about to get purged.

That big pool that sits below most SEC programs half the Big 10 and a few programs west of the state of Arkansas is who we need to be aligning with in our future league.  It will be competitive fan friendly and interesting for the followers.

I could see us in a league with Houston Oklahoma state Texas Tech Kansas Kansas state Mississippi Mississippi state Memphis Missouri Colorado Arizona Arizona State. Not necessarily these exact programs but this tier. 

In the interim let’s launch into the American and get to know our new conference mates. Kick some tail and win on exit from CUSA. 

Way to go Mean Green Hoops! 
GMG

Umm, with Seth?

• Upvote 2

On 2/8/2022 at 1:43 AM, NM Green said:

Exactly…

(Not sure this Jeannie can be put back in its bottle, though)

At some point lower tier universities in FBS will find a legal remedy requiring athletes to sign some type of contract that enable them to recover monies spent on scholarships etc from those who hit the portal and a share of NIL. 

Pandora's Box was open and it's going to be hard to close.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

At some point lower tier universities in FBS will find a legal remedy requiring athletes to sign some type of contract that enable them to recover monies spent on scholarships etc from those who hit the portal and a share of NIL. 

Pandora's Box was open and it's going to be hard to close.

Not sure where this ends up, bit I agree with your premise. This was a ready, fire, aim implementation. The schools will at some point find ways to try and control. So far the biggest hit seems to be taken by HS players. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Wait until the “how much did he get vs how much I got” locker room talk begins.  
That will destroy some teams.  

This, or probably when someone gets a little to arrogant; Let's say a young not proven QB. There is liable to be a "lookout" block or two.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

The transfer portal is a mess. Schools/ boosters are openly paying under the cover of NIL. Uncontrolled amount of "of-the field" staffing. Keep telling yourself P5 and G5 are in the same division

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-reportedly-working-to-hire-david-cutcliffe-arch-manning

image.png.bffabc48a6f53f80bc683ff28892fb14.png

Wonder how Ewers feels about this? If Texas signs Manning there is no doubt he will start rom day one

• Skeptical Eagle 1