emmitt01

46 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Do you guys guess it will be more or less on Monday? More people are off on the weekend, but more students will be around for a weekday game. 

It’ll be probably the same, in my opinion. Monday is weird, but students would be more on campus. Hit or miss overall wise, should be a nice turnout student wise.

And I know this isn’t related, but if I hear one more complaint about the maniacs name or whatever, I’m gonna lose my shit.

Anyway, hopefully the next home stand, and maybe Rice in Houston, we bring good crowds!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Still trying to get used to the name Mean Green Maniacs.  Like the Pit Crew better.

47B87EE8-B12E-4EE5-A8D4-BB6CCC5430DC.gif
All jokes, I do too but as long as there are butts in the seats making noise, I don’t care.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

If I just spent however much money on arena renovations, I would be losing my shit too if the student section, who I went out of my way to create special concourse tunnel signage for, decided to change their name a couple of years later.

True story. The Maniacs had to hang a banner over the tunnel that says Pit Crew. You can still see the Crew.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

And I know this isn’t related, but if I hear one more complaint about the maniacs name or whatever, I’m gonna lose my shit.

Just because it’s completely asinine that the Pit Crew name wasn’t kept does not mean we don’t want the maniacs to succeed. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

The Maniacs are trying to revive a tradition and I don't really care what they're called.  I think you're putting too much weight on the name in this case.

With all due respect - typical UNT fan justifying why we have so few traditions at UNT. Constantly changing seems to be accepted here more than most places.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With all due respect - typical UNT fan justifying why we have so few traditions at UNT. Constantly changing seems to be accepted here more than most places.  

With an equal amount of due respect, was the Pit Crew really a “tradition”?  Sure it was a thing for a few years, but a tradition?

It’s not exactly the spirit bell, bonfire, or the eagle claw hand sign.   I was a Talon for 4 years and never once taught incoming members about the tradition of the pit crew.  

Let’s not become Aggies and say anything we’ve done twice is now part of school lore.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

With an equal amount of due respect, was the Pit Crew really a “tradition”?  Sure it was a thing for a few years, but a tradition?

It’s not exactly the spirit bell, bonfire, or the eagle claw hand sign.   I was a Talon for 4 years and never once taught incoming members about the tradition of the pit crew.  

Let’s not become Aggies and say anything we’ve done twice is now part of school lore.  

This is a revisionist minimization of what the pit crew was and did. No, it wasn’t the Spirit Bell, but it was the most significant organized student support for the basketball team since probably the Men’s Gym era. It had a lifespan of around a decade. And despite less basketball success, and a smaller student body, it blows away what the maniacs are currently doing. Will the maniacs surpass it? I sure hope so. But saying “let’s not get carried away, that really successful thing wasn’t as old as the Spirit Bell” is unnecessarily dismissive. We don’t have traditions because we do stuff like this. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree, but forbid UNT try to keep any traditions going

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

God forbid we sit down with them and ask.  Maybe the Maniac leaders are open to change.

I can be grumpy about traditions and also fluid about change.  I like the upside of this current group.  I'm okay with Maniacs or Pit Crew.

I'll stick to Uni changes, multiple shades of green, and North Texas State lol.

• Upvote 3

1968 The Men's Gym aka The Snake Pit.  At any game, among the 4,500 - 5,000 packed into "The Pit" you probably would see Joe Greene, Phyllis George, Bill Schmidt, Meatloaf, Tom "Bone Malone, Steve Ramsey, Don Henley, Ron Shanklin, Peter Weller, Cedric Hardman, Glenn Holloway,,,,

Scan 1968_20220206 (3).jpg

Edited by Eagle71
  • Upvote 4