Let's talk about this...

Mo Green

Looking at the future... the American AC and the current CUSA.

Your one of the top players (BB) in the current conference and being left behind in CUSA with most of the better BB teams moving on to another conference.

You are from TX and just showed when UNT beat you at your place that you REALLY LIKE THE UNT COACH for UNT.

You want to be able to play highly ranked teams because of your future (i.e. think about what we are going through in the portal in FB).

Do you get to the portal after the season.  YOU communicate with our coach you want to go to UNT?

K Lofton is the player. Do you think Grant sees him in his system

Just thinking...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Your one of the top players (BB) in the current conference and being left behind in CUSA with most of the better BB teams moving on to another conference.

You are from TX and just showed when UNT beat you at your place that you REALLY LIKE THE UNT COACH for UNT.

You want to be able to play highly ranked teams because of your future (i.e. think about what we are going through in the portal in FB).

Do you get to the portal after the season.  YOU communicate with our coach you want to go to UNT?

Just thinking...

26 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Just thinking...

He wanted to go to UNT out of HS but we went with Abou. Grant would have to change his philosophy quite a bit for it to work. Lofton isn't very strong on the defensive end and he wouldn't be on the floor at the same time as Abou. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

He could not play this type of defense for the entire game. He is a beast in the O-board and gets his points…but just don’t think it is a fit. 

We shouldn't ignore top talent if he wants to come here. Lofton was team USA's leading scorer at the most recent U-19 FIBA world cup ahead of other NBA prospects. They won gold, by the way. leading scorer on a gold winning Team USA. I'm sure we could use his ability on offense and the boards and I would hope we wouldn't refuse a player who put up 36 points and 17 rebounds against a P5 because of "fit." Defense comes down to effort. If he buys in, I'd love to have him.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Not sure what is in Lofton's heart, but I only see him splitting Abou's minutes, not overtaking them.

Maybe there is some scenario where Grant could have them both on the floor, too?

He'd also have to adopt Grant's defensive expectations or his talent would ride the bench all year, amiright?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Not sure what is in Lofton's heart, but I only see him splitting Abou's minutes, not overtaking them.

I would think he would take some from Abou and get some elsewhere too. I think if he got a bit leaner he could be similar to Bell. Lofton apparently played guard until a growth spurt in high school so I'd imagine he has decent ball handling skills and frankly, at 6 foot 7, he's not much taller than other athletic ball handlers out in the pros.

Going back to minutes, we've had several games where our bigs get in foul trouble. Against La Tech, both Bell and Ousmane got to 4 fouls. Either one of them fouls out and the outcome may not be the same. Depth should be welcomed, even if that means a current starter gets less minutes.

• Upvote 1

Of course he WANTS to be here. The hard part would be telling his teammates that he has done everything he can for the state of Louisiana for several years and now needs to do something for himself.

From Blue Dog on the Tech message board:

Worst part is a talent like Lofton will continue to miss the Dance

Unless he leaves, which he will.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The cynic in me thinks some of these guys don't think that is hard at all.

The most optimistic of Tech fans are claiming that their team may still be able to be relevant this season.

Think about that. Tech was a team, that if you reviewed their roster for the last several seasons, that you would have picked to be amongst the conference elite. That hasn't happened, even despite the heroics of Lofton.

It's simply their coaching which is keeping them from progressing, and keeping the Tech players from being noticed on a national level. Lofton got more pub from that U19 event then he did from all his time at Tech.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Grant said and I quote “I love you off the court but hate you on the court “

Mac likes his talent for sure, just don’t know how he would fit here.

Guys Grant never would have said this.  He would take Lofton in a New York Minute as any college coach would!  @NorthTexasSportsNetwork is just pulling your legs lol.

• Upvote 2

On 2/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, UNTLifer said:

Interesting thought.  His game may not fit McCasland's style, but it would be intriguing. 

McCasland's style match, why yes he does. Let's look at the Purdue game being there as lot's of us did last March. William's and the monster that came into the paint to control the boards were neutralized by Zach and Abou (in fact Mc said how well Abou did in that regard after the game) letting Ham and our guards control the game because they could drive and rebound. So as far as a pretty good 6'7" 240 lb fitting into Mc's system I think he'd have work to do since fouls are called and the P5 (i.e. B12,B10) have bigs' inside that we don't see too much in our conference!

So, I'm saying some more beef coming off the bench would fit Mc's system since he relies so heavily consistent guard play. We want to win in November too looking at our out of the conference chances we might have to travel to & win to be ranked!

GMG

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 12:35 AM, ADLER said:

I'd love to have Lofton here collecting conference championship rings. He's an incredible talent and we lose Bell III after this season.

Bell leaves and Lofton comes on Denton. What we see now is the trouble Bell has backing down to the basket backwards> He weights less than 200 lbs. on the other hand Lofton weights 240ish. I think they would have to double team him and leave a guard open for a 3. Never thought about that switch! Great thinking Jeff. Now if it comes true? That would take pressure off our 5 for a dunk!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mo Green said:

Bell leaves and Lofton comes on Denton. What we see now is the trouble Bell has backing down to the basket backwards> He weights less than 200 lbs. on the other hand Lofton weights 240ish. I think they would have to double team him and leave a guard open for a 3. Never thought about that switch! Great thinking Jeff. Now if it comes true? That would take pressure off our 5 for a dunk!

George Odufuwa was 6’8” 240. 

Lofton weighs more than 240