UNT 9

Wag Tag

We are looking at a class with only 9 HS commits out of 26! As of now we have 3 JUCO and with possibly 14 transfers when the class is completed. I believe this model will give us the greatest chance for success. The one thing I would like to see is more transfers on the front end. It is encouraging to see this coaching staff-adapt  quickly to the changing recruiting market. GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

50 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We are looking at a class with only 9 HS commits out of 26! As of now we have 3 JUCO and with possibly 14 transfers when the class is completed. I believe this model will give us the greatest chance for success. The one thing I would like to see is more transfers on the front end. It is encouraging to see this coaching staff-adapt  quickly to the changing recruiting market. GMG 

I like how they mainly recruit guys with 2, 3, or 4 years of eligibility. They limit the 1 year guys.  Like you said, this method may be sustainable. 

• Upvote 2

Keep in mind we have 17 scholarship redshirt freshmen. Due to COVID, both our 2020 HS signing class and 2021 HS signing class both were considered true freshmen last season. 2022 was always going to be a small class of HS players because there was one giant superclass of two classes combined directly ahead of them.

That’s something to keep in mind. Is this strategy circumstantial or the new blueprint? I think a mix of both. I do think we go more portal heavy going forward but I also expect more like 15-20 HS signees in future classes like we were used to.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Keep in mind we have 17 scholarship redshirt freshmen. Due to COVID, both our 2020 HS signing class and 2021 HS signing class both were considered true freshmen last season. 2022 was always going to be a small class of HS players because there was one giant superclass of two classes combined directly ahead of them.

That’s something to keep in mind. Is this strategy circumstantial or the new blueprint? I think a mix of both. I do think we go more portal heavy going forward but I also expect more like 15-20 HS signees in future classes like we were used to.

Wouldn't the covid class be true for all schools? I follow Utah State and they signed 22 HS with 7 transfers. UNT could of done the same.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I think you may be right about this!  Good opinion.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

the new blueprint? I think a mix of both. I do think we go more portal heavy going forward but I also expect more like 15-20 HS signees in future classes like we were used to.

This. I can see G5 needing to move towards being portal heavy to get the guys who aren't getting the playing time they want and/or are being pushed out of their big school to make room for new incoming transfers. I'm fine with it. Get guys with 2 or 3 years left who have already been in a D1 weight room and might be more college ready. Plus, if I'm not mistaken they wouldn't be able to transfer out since they'd already transfered once so it protects us as well. Frankly, it's similar to the Juco route Kansas State somewhat made a living of for 2 decades.

SL and this staff have done really well at recruiting the past 2 seasons. I don't think this year is because some high school kids "see the writing that he's on the way out" like some of our fans think. I doubt most even think or know about that until the coach is actually gone. I think SL is just seeing the direction college football is going and adjusting early.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Wouldn't the covid class be true for all schools? I follow Utah State and they signed 22 HS with 7 transfers. UNT could of done the same.

Yes, but did they go as high school heavy in the two preceding classes as we did? Like I said, we have 17 scholarship redshirt freshman. I don’t think it made much sense to add 20 more true freshman on top of that. But we also could have signed more than 9, which is why I think it’s a mix of change in strategy plus circumstance.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This. I can see G5 needing to move towards being portal heavy to get the guys who aren't getting the playing time they want and/or are being pushed out of their big school to make room for new incoming transfers. I'm fine with it. Get guys with 2 or 3 years left who have already been in a D1 weight room and might be more college ready. Plus, if I'm not mistaken they wouldn't be able to transfer out since they'd already transfered once so it protects us as well. Frankly, it's similar to the Juco rought Kansas State somewhat made a living of for 2 decades.

SL and this staff has done really well at recruiting the past 2 seasons. I don't think this year is because some high school kids "see the writing that he's on the way out" like some of our fans think. I doubt most even think or know about that until the coach is actually gone. I think SL is just seeing the direction college football is going and adjusting early.

Correct. There definitely is advantage to getting guys like Enoch Jackson. He looked really good in our DT rotation and I think he’s going to be a solid starter this year. He still has 3 years left, but I feel good that he isn’t going anywhere because he would have to sit out a season if he does.

• Upvote 2