wardly

21 hours ago, wardly said:

With the advent of both the transfer portal and NIL will the G5 programs evolve into basically a P5 farm system ?

What was the G5 before new transfer rules?  School that were primary destination for student athletes not academically or athletically good enough for P5.  Where is the all this extensive history of G5 playing in elite New Years Day Bowls or competing for National Championships?  They weren’t.  Even today let’s look at the 4 G5 teams joining the P5 via Big 12 expansion.  Only UCF has no previous conference history featuring teams in P5 conferences.  FBS College football has never been a meritocracy when it comes to scheduling, post season, and national championships.  You want something closer to a meritocracy drop down to FCS.  However I don’t recommend that for fan interest or profile of our school.

• Upvote 2

One of the points of my question is that the transfer portal rule makes it much easier to recruit players from other programs, and whether that will adversely affect G5 programs more that P5 schools. Texas losing a few players will have a lot less impact than us having key players move up to P% when the opportunity presents itself. Also while  we are just dipping our toes into the NIL water  I assume schools loke SMU will be able to easily fund it while UNT will not, which puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

One of the points of my question is that the transfer portal rule makes it much easier to recruit players from other programs, and whether that will adversely affect G5 programs more that P5 schools. Texas losing a few players will have a lot less impact than us having key players move up to P% when the opportunity presents itself. Also while  we are just dipping our toes into the NIL water  I assume schools loke SMU will be able to easily fund it while UNT will not, which puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

Most of our competitive disadvantages are self inflicted.  This pales in comparison to what Coach Frye had to deal with while here. Most of disadvantages at that time weren’t compounded by bad decisions the program made.  I am getting a little fatigued with “whining about the system” and speculation  from fans and alumni of a school that habitually makes bad decisions regardless of the landscape of CFB or level college football UNT choses to play at.   Underachievement is the reason we don’t have fan & alumni support  to fund a NIL.  More than like they are flushing more revenue in the future via support of an improving program down the toilet by “saving” Seth’s buyout money.  That extension is one of many in a long list of bad decisions that just stack upon each other in repercussions.  I just wonder how much space in the UCF forum is dedicated to whining about NIL and transfer rules.  The rules will hurt bad programs just like academics standards, scholarships limits and limits on official visits did before.   Adapt to the system, maximize the resources at your disposal and improve….  It has been demonstrated Seth is struggling doing that so by keeping him you are playing bad odds with very little payoff if you defy them.  It would be a miracle for them to be still in the running for a division title come early November 2022.  That status should be unacceptable for a coach coming into his 6th season unless you lose 4 or more players the season previous to the NFL draft.  Maybe if the coach had above 0.500 season consistently you would give him a pass but that isn’t the case here.  The administration is stacking bad decisions on top of each other but some want to complain about the system?   The criticism & speculation maybe warranted but it doesn’t do a &$@! thing to address the root of our program’s underachievement.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wardly said:

Well, our alumni give the least of any other D1  program in Texas so I assume there will be no change when it comes to funding NIL.

How do you know this?  Seems to me with the new indoor practice facility and admission into the AAC being primarily based on facilities your claims don't seem to line up.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

How do you know this?  Seems to me with the new indoor practice facility and admission into the AAC being primarily based on facilities your claims don't seem to line up.

IIRC, we are not even close to the large numbers.  Our facilities are mostly due to student fees and the amazing generosity of a small few.

one has to look no further than the endowment figures to see our alumni engagement is shameful.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

IIRC, we are not even close to the large numbers.  Our facilities are mostly due to student fees and the amazing generosity of a small few.

one has to look no further than the endowment figures to see our alumni engagement is shameful.

That’s just insane.  We had huge donations from the McNatts, Loveless, Kuehne’s for basketball and the list goes on.  We have plenty of very generous donors.  In fact we just got a 5 million dollar gift a couple of weeks ago for the business school Inthink.

36 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well, our alumni give the least of any other D1  program in Texas so I assume there will be no change when it comes to funding NIL.

I realize you were just responding to an illogical challenge of a very logical assumption.  But you should never omit why the donations should be low.  This football program is probably the most underachieving FBS program in the state when you look at the money being put into it and all the other resources it has.  Let’s make sure we aren’t even implying that we are criticizing fans for lack of financial support of football until they get above 0.500 for a month.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

It was posted here a year or so ago.If memory serves it listed Texas D1 programs, size of student body, number of donors and total amount given. This may have been before indoor facility was constructed but this was a one and done deal of about $15 million.Our budget was a consideration in gaining entrance entrance into the AAC , not alumni giving. In addition, the new stadium constructed a decade ago just brought us up to speed , while the indoor practice facility gives us a leg up for the time being.

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

That’s just insane.  We had huge donations from the McNatts, Loveless, Kuehne’s for basketball and the list goes on.  We have plenty of very generous donors.  In fact we just got a 5 million dollar gift a couple of weeks ago for the business school Inthink.

The McNatts and Loveless families made a very generous donation to fund the indoor practice facility. In addition a $30 million donation was just made to our business school . The Veortman family also made a multi million dollar donation  to the university. However, we really don't have plenty of very generous donors . UTSA just got a $50 million plus donation and Texas State has received major bucks from a graduate in the past few years. While I certainly appreciate every dollar given regardless of the amount the must find a way to increase our donor base.Historically our athletic department has been very underfunded, and it wasn't until the current administration that the purse strings were opened up.

• Upvote 2

There is an issue with the NIL I think has been overlooked.  As we all know, the cost of college has increased markedly in recent years.  Of 230 Division 1 athletic programs, a student athletic fee is charged by 80% of the schools.  With the advent of the NIL not only will players receive the perks of the scholarship but they also will receive additional funds. Will students not involved in athletics begin to revolt against student athletic fees. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1