wardly

If we don't do something, yes. The rules of the game must change if that's the case. Body bag games? Just went up - more $ or we want a % of the gate. Two for ones in scheduling? Turn the other way - you come to us now. NCAA has to do something or why are we wasting our resources? I'm all for the free market exchange of players, with some light rules in place, but its not just the players that need to be enriched here, it's the farm system as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Folks act like this has ramifications for North Texas, or any G5.  It really doesn't in the grand scheme.
The same 4* & 5* dudes are going to these schools before & after NIL.   They're still fighting with themselves for those types of players.

Our problem is with SMU's/Tulane's/Memphis' NIL funds ...which are microscopic compared to those P5 schools... but still enough to sway recruits away from North Texas to them.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Folks act like this has ramifications for North Texas, or any G5.  It really doesn't in the grand scheme.
The same 4* & 5* dudes are going to these schools before & after NIL.   They're still fighting with themselves for those types of players.

Our problem is with SMU's/Tulane's/Memphis' NIL funds ...which are microscopic compared to those P5 schools... but still enough to sway recruits away from North Texas to them.

So even to your own acknowledgment, NIL does indeed have ramifications for UNT. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So even to your own acknowledgment, NIL does indeed have ramifications for UNT. 

The hand-wringing in this thread & other similar threads is about the P5 schools' NIL funds.
Schools like South Carolina need to be concerned with MSSt's NIL funds.   They're recruiting the same guys, and South Carolina could whip MSSt on the field right now... but maybe not for long.

North Texas wasn't in the conversation for those types of players prior to NIL.  So nothing really changes for us on that front.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think I disagree. Now a good G5 player has to consider staying in his G5 program, getting more playing time without NIL money or potentially hitting the portal, getting paid to fill a hole, play next man up at the P5. He may not develop or get as much playing time at the P5 than at G5 but $ now vs. potential NFL $ later is going to potentially lead to more leaving the G5s. Correct my understanding of NIL and transfer portal if I'm off base in how all this works.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

21 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What changes for us are the G5s that DO have a little NIL money to throw around while we have minimal to none. 

Yes.  Absolutely.  We agree.
This thread (and other threads I've seen around here) is regarding P5 NIL though (see title).
I'm just saying pre-NIL, if we recruited a 4* guy, and Texas A&M also recruited him, we lost.  Their millions of dollars to give out now doesn't really change anything for us. 
Now, if OKSt and A&M were recruiting the same guy pre-NIL, OKSt could sometimes win those battles... it's going to be much harder for them now (with no Boone).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Friendly reminder that the portal has been around for years.

all this craziness is due to COVID and NIL. The portal is in the discussion because it is a mechanism that has made all this movement easier to do.

So post COVID we'll revert to the same transfer rules, right? Generally sit out a year @ FBS xfer level absent exception or grad xfer? But NIL would cause some to be ok with that and sit on their monetarily enriched hands?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MDH said:

I think I disagree. Now a good G5 player has to consider staying in his G5 program, getting more playing time without NIL money or potentially hitting the portal, getting paid to fill a hole, play next man up at the P5. He may not develop or get as much playing time at the P5 than at G5 but $ now vs. potential NFL $ later is going to potentially lead to more leaving the G5s. Correct my understanding of NIL and transfer portal if I'm off base in how all this works.

This brings the transfer portal into the mix, which admittedly muddies the waters.   
I think if a player were unhappy here, or thought he could play at a higher level, he would leave for that opportunity alone anyway... the potential for NIL money just sweetens the deal.

However, these opportunities were available for Novil (who probably could have made a lot of P5 NIL money in his final season), but he returned.    Why?  Not sure, but I think it probably had something to do with believing in what he had going here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Yes this is absolutely correct.  The SMUts will be ok.  Probably Tulane as well.

Also a good reminder that the “we” in that sentence largely refers to us fans because the schools don’t give out NIL money. TCU and SmUt will have an advantage over us bc of big money donors and bc they are in the heart of DFW, thus likely to attract more businesses to want their kids for ads. The small college town locale doesn’t pay off so well in this case (unless you are a big dog or have zero competition for sports dollars). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDH said:

So post COVID we'll revert to the same transfer rules, right? Generally sit out a year @ FBS xfer level absent exception or grad xfer? But NIL would cause some to be ok with that and sit on their monetarily enriched hands?

I suspect this is sarcasm, but can provide a response anyways:

I haven't read anything about the transfer rules changing yet, but I also feel like the NCAA opened the NIL deal without much thought nor regulation, and part of their reactionary changes (which will come eventually) could include changes to the XFfer rules.

I've been reading some crazy thoughts from Twitter heads who have gone down a pretty deep rabbit hole, regarding NIL possibilities.

• What if a high profile recruit, who is basically a lock for the NFL, demands an NIL deal that includes a class sit-in? Obv the school/NCAA wouldn't allow it but it would be under the table.
  • What if some NIL deals aren't honored? Basically hand-shakes agreements, and the "sponsor" doesn't follow through? Do we end up with a handful of 4-5 star recruits that are in the portal after a year? Maybe there is some crazy scenario where this affords some G5s an opportunity to snag these guys 1 or 2 years removed from HS graduation.
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I suspect this is sarcasm, but can provide a response anyways:

No sarcasm. I understand COVID eliminated the year of sitting out which prevented a lot of the G5 talent from transferring "up" to P5 in the past. Assuming this comes back into play then this acts as a buffer and decreases the number in the portal in future years. NIL still tempts G5 talent to jump to a P5, but they'd have to wait it out (absent family illness, grad xfer, other reasons NCAA has approved). I'm a casual when it comes to understanding transfers and NIL.

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Friendly reminder that the portal has been around for years.

all this craziness is due to COVID and NIL. The portal is in the discussion because it is a mechanism that has made all this movement easier to do.

Covid only gave the extra year of eligibility. The NCAA gave the penalty-free transfer ability last April which is relatively new and will be with us forever. NIL is a big problem which helps woo potential recruits but the penalty-free transfer is the biggest problem because it has led to substantial tampering and poaching of G5, FCS, and lower level P5 players. NIL just helps incentivize the players they woo into that free transfer.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MDH said:

No sarcasm. I understand COVID eliminated the year of sitting out which prevented a lot of the G5 talent from transferring "up" to P5 in the past. Assuming this comes back into play then this acts as a buffer and decreases the number in the portal in future years. NIL still tempts G5 talent to jump to a P5, but they'd have to wait it out (absent family illness, grad xfer, other reasons NCAA has approved). I'm a casual when it comes to understanding transfers and NIL.

It was not due to covid and will be with us permanently.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-board-of-directors-ratifies-one-time-transfer-legislation-allowing-athletes-immediate-eligibility/amp/

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, wardly said:

With the advent of both the transfer portal and NIL will the G5 programs evolve into basically a P5 farm system ?

We should be setting up a plan/system to go after the better FCS and D2 players. If we going to be the AAA, then lets pull form AA and High-A 🏈

We can either do our best to play the game or be left further behind

• Upvote 1

You could easily have a decent NIL program going. If you read what industry people say, not what hysterical news articles say, the NIL amounts are not crazy outside of the top 1% of talent. For top spenders this just took the old under the table money out to the open. The real change is that it allows the majority of schools, who were not doing that kind of cheating, a chance to compete.  

The posters on this board alone kicking in $100/month could make a huge difference.  The guy who used to own Pancho's is a UNT alum, go hit that guy up. Please get your act together before changing conferences

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

The posters on this board alone kicking in $100/month could make a huge difference.  The guy who used to own Pancho's is a UNT alum, go hit that guy up. Please get your act together before changing conferences

I think you make a valid point.  Instead of crying about it perhaps we should be starting up a fund and contributing what we can.