Who is your favorite recruit?

meangreen11

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Same. He beat out an Iowa transfer who is 3 years older, then proceeded to complete 65.8% of his passes before getting hurt. I don’t think people are acknowledging the legit skins on the wall that he has coming in. 

I'm of the wait-and-see camp on Earle.   
I hope his mechanics & pocket awareness are already impeccable, because I don't think they're going to be improved while here.  I suppose we'll see if he can beat out Aune or Ruder.

My favorite signee (so far) is Damien Smallwood.  He's likely taking a redshirt, but after Carroll graduates, I expect him to be ready to go & be an OL stalwart. 
I suppose the guy I expect to have the most-immediate impact is Trieb.  Just because the Murphys are gone, and there was little-to-no depth behind them outside of Kameron Hill (who also graduated).

37 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Same. He beat out an Iowa transfer who is 3 years older, then proceeded to complete 65.8% of his passes before getting hurt. I don’t think people are acknowledging the legit skins on the wall that he has coming in. 

I just think people have no faith in the staff's handling of the QB position. 

My wife could bring home the nicest, fanciest, highest quality and most expensive meats, spices, and produce from the grocery store, but if she's letting me cook it....

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm of the wait-and-see camp on Earle.   
I hope his mechanics & pocket awareness are already impeccable, because I don't think they're going to be improved while here.  I suppose we'll see if he can beat out Aune or Ruder.

My favorite signee (so far) is Damien Smallwood.  He's likely taking a redshirt, but after Carroll graduates, I expect him to be ready to go & be an OL stalwart. 
I suppose the guy I expect to have the most-immediate impact is Trieb.  Just because the Murphys are gone, and there was little-to-no depth behind them outside of Kameron Hill (who also graduated).

Whether he works out or not is one thing. But from an excitement standpoint, I’m excited to get a player who was a really solid FCS QB as a freshman and watch him develop over the next 3 years. Even if the development is mainly the product of in-game reps.

As for Smallwood, I’m a little torn. He looks the part but he’s also already 19. So he was older than his competition in addition to being much larger. Smallwood looks like a player, and there have been plenty of linemen we have signed in years past who were head scratchers, then came here and never played. Smallwood is not that, but personally I’m more excited about Samora Ezekiel. Really impressive combination of size, flexibility, and tenacity.

19 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I just think people have no faith in the staff's handling of the QB position. 

My wife could bring home the nicest, fanciest, highest quality and most expensive meats, spices, and produce from the grocery store, but if she's letting me cook it....

That’s understandable but to me the recruiting has been a bigger issue. Aune was a walkon who fell into our lap, these HS QB recruits we signed while we had Fine on the roster just weren’t good QB recruits and turned out they weren’t good FBS QBs. Even Ruder, as highly touted as he was, struggled to complete 50% of his passes in High School. I mentioned the concern there last year and was mainly met with “there were a lot of drops though.” 

Earle has displayed legit D1 accuracy. That’s where things start and end. I don’t what the defined threshold to claim he “worked out” here is, but it would take a colossal step backwards from his Freshman to Sophomore year for him to be on par with what we had last year.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That’s understandable but to me the recruiting has been a bigger issue. Aune was a walkon who fell into our lap, these HS QB recruits we signed while we had Fine on the roster just weren’t good QB recruits and turned out they weren’t good FBS QBs. Even Ruder, as highly touted as he was, struggled to complete 50% of his passes in High School. I mentioned the concern there last year and was mainly met with “there were a lot of drops though.” 

Earle has displayed legit D1 accuracy. That’s where things start and end. I don’t what the defined threshold to claim he “worked out” here is, but it would take a colossal step backwards from his Freshman to Sophomore year for him to be on par with what we had last year.

Give me an accurate QB with some mobility.