Transfer Portal 2-2-22

El Paso Eagle

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Could you explain why an LOI isn’t binding for a transfer, whereas it is for a high school kid? 

According to this, transfers who have already signed an LOI and enrolled at a 4-year school previously do not sign LOIs at subsequent schools. In essence, transfer portal signees don’t sign LOIs at their new school, so a school bringing in a portal transfer would not be on the hook for their scholarship until they enroll.

They do count towards the class as an “initial counter” but don’t take up a spot on the class limit until they enroll.

http://www.nationalletter.org/documentLibrary/administrativeGuidelines.pdf

0507AFD3-6A1A-4C57-B467-0F761BEA0B4E.jpeg

Edited by BillySee58
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

According to this, transfers who have already signed an LOI and enrolled at a 4-year school previously do not sign LOIs at subsequent schools. In essence, transfer portal signees don’t sign LOIs at their new school, so a school bringing in a portal transfer would not be on the hook for their scholarship until they enroll.

They do count towards the class as an “initial counter” but don’t take up a spot on the class limit until they enroll.

For what it's worth, I enjoy this encyclopedic knowledge of the rules I would always be too lazy to look up. Thanks for the insight! 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

0507AFD3-6A1A-4C57-B467-0F761BEA0B4E.jpeg

Thanks, very interesting. So basically verbal commitments until they enroll? Can this start with the Summer sessions or when Fall enrollment starts? 

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Thanks, very interesting. So basically verbal commitments until they enroll? Can this start with the Summer sessions or when Fall enrollment starts? 

I'm pretty sure they're transferring just like any other student, so you're subject to the individual schools' deadlines for paperwork, which is pretty late for most transfers, but that's really it. You generally have to have all the ducks in a row before the deadlines. For UNT this year that's:

May 3 (first summer and full summer stuff), May 25 (later summer stuff), July 1 (late short session and Fall).

So it MIGHT be worth keeping an eye on those dates, depending on when the individual athletes decide to transfer/enroll.

The transfer "penalty" and Transfer Portal are the only things that apply specifically to athletes. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, p_phelps said:

The Murphy twins were some one the prizes of the class. So yeah we expected them to be good. I would like to get a transfer that has playing experience and some production and/or highly touted and coveted by teams out of HS but behind by older guys on depth chart. Not guys in poor schools that couldn't play.

Wrong on McCasland,  I think alot of people loved the hire, also had proven success as a HC from ark state.

I go back to our rivals of UTSA and SMU. THEY HAVE DESTROYED US in recruiting the transfer portal.  Would you trade out transfers with either one of them. I certainly would. 

I can't see how looking at results we have now compared to rivals doesn't make you upset. At some point you've gotta take off the green glasses and call it what it is. Seth should have gone after transfers to get them on campus now. Please, tell me what you honestly would grade this off season? NSD is done and I'm disappointed 

Waiting to see what our final class holds prior to grading the class.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

On 2/2/2022 at 9:32 PM, Glory to the Green said:

I don’t think this team will need a Mason Fine type QB next year, but it does need more consistency/accuracy than last year.  I’m hopeful that between the new guys and the returning crew that one will emerge.  
deandre jordan nba GIF 

Not to diminish what Mason Fine accomplished here in anyway, But we absolutely need a “Mason Fine type”.   We need 65% completion percentage from our QB to get to 7 wins in the regular season.  Asking for his “clutchness” and TD/INT ratio might be asking a little much but we absolutely need a near 65% completions from QB to really compete.  Also that is assuming the defensive performance doesn’t fall off which is big IF given the transfers we had from that side of the ball.  So if this defense gives up +23 points a game, ball control and scoring will be critical to be in most games.  You can’t do that unless completion rates are good or you average big yards per attempt.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not to diminish what Mason Fine accomplished here in anyway, But we absolutely need a “Mason Fine type”.   We need 65% completion percentage from our QB to get to 7 wins in the regular season.  Asking for his “clutchness” and TD/INT ratio might be asking a little much but we absolutely need a near 65% completions from QB to really compete.  Also that is assuming the defensive performance doesn’t fall off which is big IF given the transfers we had from that side of the ball.  So if this defense gives up +23 points a game, ball control and scoring will be critical to be in most games.  You can’t do that unless completion rates are good or you average big yards per attempt.

Right. Right. I was referring to how the team had talent, but had shortcomings. 2022’s team doesn’t necessarily need a QB to carry them (65%completion would be nice), but as you stated, the Defensive losses do need to be made up somehow. 

Edited by Glory to the Green

On 2/3/2022 at 7:58 AM, p_phelps said:

That's again unacceptable and unexplainable.  Who's going to be our playmaker. Who's going to replace our 3 P5 transfers we lost. QB!? I don't understand Seth,  doesn't seem like he's feeling the pressure whatsoever of being on the hot seat.

Craig Pittman on Twitter: "@LarryKahnKeys Yeah but mine's from "Animal  House." AND it's Kevin Bacon." / Twitter

• Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The equivalent of grading one of your college final exams when you were only 60% complete.

When other programs are done or 90%. I wish I had the blind faith in Seth like you but after all this time. It is what it is. Next year will be rough and this class will hurt out future unless all these diamond in the rough pay off

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Seth can’t recruit or develop talent but recruits and develops talents so well they get scooped up by better programs. Can’t win I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Many that left didn't go to a better program.   They just wanted out; not exactly a positive.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Many that left didn't go to a better program.   They just wanted out; not exactly a positive.

I don’t think that is a fair statement overall. Everyone that I recall leaving has either left for a chance at more playing time or a higher profile program.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, p_phelps said:

When other programs are done or 90%. I wish I had the blind faith in Seth like you but after all this time. It is what it is. Next year will be rough and this class will hurt out future unless all these diamond in the rough pay off

I think you are misunderstanding my comment.  I am not placing blind faith in Littrell, just willing to wait until this class is complete prior to exclaiming them the death of our program like you have chosen to do.  Is that fair?  We have roughly nine spots left in our class, they haven't or have barely set foot on campus and you are writing them off.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Many that left were not starting here and were looking for an opportunity to play.  If they weren't starting here, what would lead you to believe they would be starting elsewhere at a program at our better than our's?  Also, who stated they just wanted out?

Be glad you aren't a fan of Georgia.  They've lost 8 players to the portal, many to conference foes and have not picked up on player.  That program must be swirling around the bowl.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think that is a fair statement overall. Everyone that I recall leaving has either left for a chance at more playing time or a higher profile program.

The statement I made was replying to one that implied most left for better programs.  Like you say, many left because of little or no playing time, not to just better programs.  That’s a difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

The statement I made was replying to one that implied most left for better programs.  Like you say, many left because of little or no playing time, not to just better programs.  That’s a difference.

I don’t think this is necessarily a negative though. That has been the case for years, even before the portal. Players who are buried on the depth chart or are stuck behind players with the same/more eligibility than them don’t want to spend their entire college career not playing.

You get one college career. Go where you can play. Before the transfer portal these type of players would just sort of sneak off the roster and there wouldn’t be as big a deal made about it. Now it’s more public.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t think this is necessarily a negative though. That has been the case for years, even before the portal. Players who are buried on the depth chart or are stuck behind players with the same/more eligibility than them don’t want to spend their entire college career not playing.

You get one college career. Go where you can play. Before the transfer portal these type of players would just sort of sneak off the roster and there wouldn’t be as big a deal made about it. Now it’s more public.

Yeah now they have 4 twitter accounts auto blasting every entry, offer, commitment dedicated to the portal. It will be interesting to see how it changes and what rules are added after the recruiting cycle closes.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Seth can’t recruit or develop talent but recruits and develops talents so well they get scooped up by better programs. Can’t win I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Back to the real world... How many of those guys really moved up? 4? 5? And how many did it themselves? Murphy twins put on the work, not Mumbles or even Bennett.

Very VERY flimsy argument to stand on

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3