Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Transfer Portal 2-2-22


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I have to think that Littrell is going to bring his biggest group of transfer portal players in that he ever has. If he doesn't....then I don't even....how would that even be possible that he wouldn't. In what world would not doing that make sense.

It’s good to be green!

  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not sure how quickly 247 updated their list, but there are still a lot of "potentially" good players. Will be interesting to see how this ends up

Article I read yesterday said less than 50% of portal players had been picked up. Some huuuuuge opportunity if we can get some interest in UNT. And yet I see... Nothing? 

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Article I read yesterday said less than 50% of portal players had been picked up. Some huuuuuge opportunity if we can get some interest in UNT. And yet I see... Nothing? 

Agree and that’s why I wish more of the fans on here would give Saint Littrell and Luke credit for going out on a limb and trying a new strategy.  It was not easy for them to do this believe me!

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Article I read yesterday said less than 50% of portal players had been picked up. Some huuuuuge opportunity if we can get some interest in UNT. And yet I see... Nothing? 

This is how I felt before today, but this late push (5 solid signees) has me feeling better about the recruiting efforts of this coaching staff.   Still have a few available slots to find some OL, DL, and DB’s. I’m cautiously optimistic…

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

This is how I felt before today, but this late push (5 solid signees) has me feeling better about the recruiting efforts of this coaching staff.   Still have a few available slots to find some OL, DL, and DB’s. I’m cautiously optimistic…

*cough* QB *cough*

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Udomann said:

Article I read yesterday said less than 50% of portal players had been picked up. Some huuuuuge opportunity if we can get some interest in UNT. And yet I see... Nothing? 

robert eggers patience GIF

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

No Benefit in signing a transfer now. They aren’t locked to you until they can get on campus. You could sign 9 transfer tonight. All could enroll at another school come fall. So I figure won’t see much action till after springs. 

That's again unacceptable and unexplainable.  Who's going to be our playmaker. Who's going to replace our 3 P5 transfers we lost. QB!? I don't understand Seth,  doesn't seem like he's feeling the pressure whatsoever of being on the hot seat.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

No Benefit in signing a transfer now. They aren’t locked to you until they can get on campus. You could sign 9 transfer tonight. All could enroll at another school come fall. So I figure won’t see much action till after springs. 

That’s wild to me. Isn’t that what Ruder did last season?  I get he wanted to complete his degree at UNC (congrats to him), but I have to believe it hurt him as far as prepping for the season.  

So if they were to enroll during the summer, even that wouldn’t ensure a commitment?  I guess I’m new to this transfer works.  Thanks for your insight. Looking forward to the latest podcast. GMG!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

That's again unacceptable and unexplainable.  Who's going to be our playmaker. Who's going to replace our 3 P5 transfers we lost. QB!? I don't understand Seth,  doesn't seem like he's feeling the pressure whatsoever of being on the hot seat.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I am saying say UNT goes out today and signs Caleb Williams the OU transfer QB. Well semester already started so he can't enroll. But since he signed you are using one of your signing class spots on him. Come summer time he changes mind and decides to go to USC he can enroll there and you just lost a spot. That why at this point to have to be sure who you are using your spots on as far as transfers go.

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

That's again unacceptable and unexplainable.  Who's going to be our playmaker. Who's going to replace our 3 P5 transfers we lost. QB!? I don't understand Seth,  doesn't seem like he's feeling the pressure whatsoever of being on the hot seat.

The post leads to these questions:  What would be acceptable and explainable to you?

Our playmaker?  That is a question that is asked every off season when our previous "playmaker" graduated.  Galbreath, Cobbs, Thomas, Quinn, Fitzgerald, Carlos Harris, Chancellor, Darden, Dunbar, Torrey, etc.  Somebody will step up.  Adaway comes to mind, as well as Shorter, Ward, Bush, Johnson, Ragsdale, Adeyi, Jackson, etc...

Who's going to replace our 3 PF transfers?  Brammer.  He, in a normal season, would be graduating and moving on, so it is next man up.  The twins?  We just signed to JUCO DE's.  Replacing players happens all the time.  Did anyone predict that the Murphy twins would be the impact players they were when they signed?  No, they were a great surprise and development.  Their replacements could be just as good.  They could also not be as good, but only time will tell, so what would be an acceptable replacement for them in your eyes?

We have no idea what pressure Littrell feels.  Months ago people were complaining that we weren't positioning ourselves for the next round of conference realignment, yet here we are today.  Baker has proven that he isn't like RV spouting what we want to hear.  He works behind the scenes and then reveals the results.  Another example would be the funding of the IPF or the hiring of McCasland, and with the McCasland hire, none of us knew what we were getting.

We don't know what is going on behind the walls of the AC and in the offices of our athletic department on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean nothing is happening.  We get upset when things don't happen on our personal timeline, and then we spout off statements like "Baker isn't doing his job" or "SL isn't on the hot seat" or whatever.  Sometimes we just have to trust the process.

So, coming back to the beginning:

What would be acceptable to you?

What would be explainable to you?

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

For instance. This guy can still be recruited until he arrives on campus. Would be shocked if he makes it to SHSU.

 

 

Wait, I don’t follow you. If they sign an LOI then how would they get out of it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

For instance. This guy can still be recruited until he arrives on campus. Would be shocked if he makes it to SHSU.

 

 

Even if he "signed" with the SHSU?  Do portal transfer sign a letter of intent, or something of that nature, when they move to a new school?  If so, wouldn't SHSU have to release him?  I honestly don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Even if he "signed" with the SHSU?  Do portal transfer sign a letter of intent, or something of that nature, when they move to a new school?  If so, wouldn't SHSU have to release him?  I honestly don't know.

Transfers are transfers. They aren't prospective student athletes and thus CAN'T sign NLI.

The "free", one-time transfer rule is a release from the NLI penalty (sitting out a year) when they leave the initial institution for which they signed a NLI. You're just a transfer student, so until you are ENROLLED, you are free.

I could be wrong on some of this, but that's the gist, I think.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I am saying say UNT goes out today and signs Caleb Williams the OU transfer QB. Well semester already started so he can't enroll. But since he signed you are using one of your signing class spots on him. Come summer time he changes mind and decides to go to USC he can enroll there and you just lost a spot. That why at this point to have to be sure who you are using your spots on as far as transfers go.

I worry it's that risk-averseness which is stopping us from succeeding at portal shopping.

Maybe we snag someone great. Maybe they show up. Maybe they don't. But we aren't going to win any recruiting battles unless we get there early and apply the pressure.

We aren't filling up those signing spots with absolute world breakers right now. So maybe we pro-rate them and fill them up with a few "maybes" and let father time make fools of us instead. It couldn't get much worse right now (unless we are Rice or A&M Commerce)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Wait, I don’t follow you. If they sign an LOI then how would they get out of it?

I want to take a shot at this, even though I'm guessing.  Would love to hear from JD, too.

My guess, they can enroll at another school but can't be on scholarship at the new campus unless the original LOI staff releases them.  So, a weird situation where we control their schollie but not their school enrollment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Wait, I don’t follow you. If they sign an LOI then how would they get out of it?

 

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Even if he "signed" with the SHSU?  Do portal transfer sign a letter of intent, or something of that nature, when they move to a new school?  If so, wouldn't SHSU have to release him?  I honestly don't know.

Yes this kid could enroll at any school in the country and nothing SHSU can do they would just be SOL.

 

17 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I worry it's that risk-averseness which is stopping us from succeeding at portal shopping.

Maybe we snag someone great. Maybe they show up. Maybe they don't. But we aren't going to win any recruiting battles unless we get there early and apply the pressure.

We aren't filling up those signing spots with absolute world breakers right now. So maybe we pro-rate them and fill them up with a few "maybes" and let father time make fools of us instead. It couldn't get much worse right now (unless we are Rice or A&M Commerce)

The staff is recruiting portal guys right now. I just wouldn't expect an announcement of them signing until they are on campus. I think if i am not mistaking there was never an official Jace Ruder or Tommy Bush sign from staff until they were on campus correct.

  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The post leads to these questions:  What would be acceptable and explainable to you?

Our playmaker?  That is a question that is asked every off season when our previous "playmaker" graduated.  Galbreath, Cobbs, Thomas, Quinn, Fitzgerald, Carlos Harris, Chancellor, Darden, Dunbar, Torrey, etc.  Somebody will step up.  Adaway comes to mind, as well as Shorter, Ward, Bush, Johnson, Ragsdale, Adeyi, Jackson, etc...

Who's going to replace our 3 PF transfers?  Brammer.  He, in a normal season, would be graduating and moving on, so it is next man up.  The twins?  We just signed to JUCO DE's.  Replacing players happens all the time.  Did anyone predict that the Murphy twins would be the impact players they were when they signed?  No, they were a great surprise and development.  Their replacements could be just as good.  They could also not be as good, but only time will tell, so what would be an acceptable replacement for them in your eyes?

We have no idea what pressure Littrell feels.  Months ago people were complaining that we weren't positioning ourselves for the next round of conference realignment, yet here we are today.  Baker has proven that he isn't like RV spouting what we want to hear.  He works behind the scenes and then reveals the results.  Another example would be the funding of the IPF or the hiring of McCasland, and with the McCasland hire, none of us knew what we were getting.

We don't know what is going on behind the walls of the AC and in the offices of our athletic department on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean nothing is happening.  We get upset when things don't happen on our personal timeline, and then we spout off statements like "Baker isn't doing his job" or "SL isn't on the hot seat" or whatever.  Sometimes we just have to trust the process.

So, coming back to the beginning:

What would be acceptable to you?

What would be explainable to you?

 

The Murphy twins were some one the prizes of the class. So yeah we expected them to be good. I would like to get a transfer that has playing experience and some production and/or highly touted and coveted by teams out of HS but behind by older guys on depth chart. Not guys in poor schools that couldn't play.

 

Wrong on McCasland,  I think alot of people loved the hire, also had proven success as a HC from ark state.

I go back to our rivals of UTSA and SMU. THEY HAVE DESTROYED US in recruiting the transfer portal.  Would you trade out transfers with either one of them. I certainly would. 

I can't see how looking at results we have now compared to rivals doesn't make you upset. At some point you've gotta take off the green glasses and call it what it is. Seth should have gone after transfers to get them on campus now. Please, tell me what you honestly would grade this off season? NSD is done and I'm disappointed 

  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

 

Yes this kid could enroll at any school in the country and nothing SHSU can do they would just be SOL.

Could you explain why an LOI isn’t binding for a transfer, whereas it is for a high school kid? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.