247 Ratings

El Paso Eagle

Tbh, I am not worried about the class if a few things happen...

1. Running the football (much like in 2021) is truly prioritized, but this time  in a more creative manner with unique offensive sets that get an additional OL on the field at times with a mauling TE or 2 out there. Then PA off of it with same sets and move the pocket, etc. There are ways to be unique and creative while looking bland to the naked eye. 

2. Defensive recruiting/transfers is prioritized with our remaining ships. 

If SL goes back to attempting finesse/air raid, it takes talent at the skill player level to do that; not to mention at the QB position. If we wholesale make a cultural and philosophical change (and I don't mean one mid-season to save jobs), then recruiting classes truly come down to fit and need instead of whipping everyone with talent, though the talent helps.  

• Upvote 3

The amount of copium I've seen on this forum the last couple of days is astounding, even referencing Mason Fine's class for reasons a class filled with guys 130 other teams didn't see as FBS players could be successful. 

Guys, this is AWFUL. Shockingly bad, especially for how much money we pay these coaches. You are trying to convince yourself that guys we started recruiting less than a month ago after damn near every recruit we spent resources on in 2021 turned us down are AAC level players. You are trying to convince yourself this staff is somehow going to hit on 8-10 random portal players that are still looking for a school this offseason. When we went 4-8 and then 4-6 everyone (including my stupid self) said to just wait for all the underclassmen from the last few classes to develop. Well, the majority of the highly rated players left and very few have panned out. Other AAC teams are punching above their weight beating P5 schools and we are fighting with SFA for scraps. We are screwed, short term and long term.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question in case someone knows - We have several players with no rankings. Does 247 go back and add a rating for all players signed? 

image.png.654b150a1af257eff901894d5fd65c57.png

I believe they do. If I remember correctly, just having an offer gets you to 2-stars before they truly evaluate the player.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The amount of copium I've seen on this forum the last couple of days is astounding, even referencing Mason Fine's class for reasons a class filled with guys 130 other teams didn't see as FBS players could be successful. 

Guys, this is AWFUL. Shockingly bad, especially for how much money we pay these coaches. You are trying to convince yourself that guys we started recruiting less than a month ago after damn near every recruit we spent resources on in 2021 turned us down are AAC level players. You are trying to convince yourself this staff is somehow going to hit on 8-10 random portal players that are still looking for a school this offseason. When we went 4-8 and then 4-6 everyone (including my stupid self) said to just wait for all the underclassmen from the last few classes to develop. Well, the majority of the highly rated players left and very few have panned out. Other AAC teams are punching above their weight beating P5 schools and we are fighting with SFA for scraps. We are screwed, short term and long term.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Last year we were excited we got Caleb Johnson away from OU. Now we're excited we got a kid away from Chadron State

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

This is a major problem. We are legitimately pulling away from these type of programs far too often. It would be one thing if it was on the occasion for a recruit that we thought was a developmental player with good intangibles. But we are filling a roster currently with this type of recruit. It's not good. You're right. It doesn't look pretty. Yet, SL is still here and Wren Baker is very hush-hush about the whole situation. Unfortunately, attendance next season will speak volumes. Then more players will leave that have the opportunities because no one wants to play in front of a dead crowd while probably eating L's. Vicious cycle that Seth Littrell almost sort of pulled us out of, but allowed us to fall right back into this cycle. And YET, he's still here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is a major problem. We are legitimately pulling away from these type of programs far too often. It would be one thing if it was on the occasion for a recruit that we thought was a developmental player with good intangibles. But we are filling a roster currently with this type of recruit. It's not good. You're right. It doesn't look pretty. Yet, SL is still here and Wren Baker is very hush-hush about the whole situation. Unfortunately, attendance next season will speak volumes. Then more players will leave that have the opportunities because no one wants to play in front of a dead crowd while probably eating L's. Vicious cycle that Seth Littrell almost sort of pulled us out of, but allowed us to fall right back into this cycle. And YET, he's still here. 

Attendance- if it's like SMU maybe we can confuse kids to coming here rather than there? That's good right?

• Haha 1

So to recap -

We all thought the invite to the AAC would provide a bump. But instead, our HS recruiting seems to have fallen at a time when there should be more HS players available due to transfers taking up slots. We have also not seemed able to step up our transfer portal recruiting. We are hoping that our staff discovered hidden gems and will develop the talent and out "QB coach" will be able to develop the QBs. It could happen.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mo Green said:

Attendance- if it's like SMU maybe we can confuse kids to coming here rather than there? That's good right?

They have money -- "academic prestige" aka they force people to pay more for their Methodist private tag so in hand it's prestigious -- and their "SWC roots". They're also in a conference that actually provides them a platform. But, yes, our attendance is similar to that of SMU -- though our enrollment is 4x theirs and our alum base is quintuples theirs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yet, SL is still here and Wren Baker is very hush-hush about the whole situation. Unfortunately, attendance next season will speak volumes. Then more players will leave that have the opportunities because no one wants to play in front of a dead crowd while probably eating L's. Vicious cycle that Seth Littrell almost sort of pulled us out of, but allowed us to fall right back into this cycle. And YET, he's still here. 

We are on the third season downward swing of the cycle.   This is past when most schools make a change.  

• Upvote 2

Wren knows more about basketball than he does about football. I know he's been involved with several winning football programs but his background is basketball. Is NT just part of his learning curve and he'll figure it out? If so...we're paying the price right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, RBP79 said:

Wren knows more about basketball than he does about football. I know he's been involved with several winning football programs but his background is basketball. Is NT just part of his learning curve and he'll figure it out? If so...we're paying the price right now.

Figuratively and literally, to both HFC and AD. Yay US!

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the totality of this class means very little to me. Do I hope they signed a few kids that can ball? Absolutely. But the only thing that matters is what the coaching staff does this coming season. And hs freshman weren’t impacting that. Whoever the coach is in 2023.. I expect that class to be substantially better than this one. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the totality of this class means very little to me. Do I hope they signed a few kids that can ball? Absolutely. But the only thing that matters is what the coaching staff does this coming season. And hs freshman weren’t impacting that. Whoever the coach is in 2023.. I expect that class to be substantially better than this one. 

HS freshmen probably aren't impacting that. However, transfers that can ball would immediately impact that. We've largely whiffed in that department. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

HS freshmen probably aren't impacting that. However, transfers that can ball would immediately impact that. We've largely whiffed in that department. 

I wouldn’t call it a whiff.. they’ve grabbed some kids that could make some type of an impact immediately. I think we all would have loved for that big name QB or more depth pieces but I don’t hate what they have (so far). 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Let me add to your add -- the Rivals and 247 rankings really mean nothing to me anymore as they should not for anyone else.  Here is why, the ranking were all built around HIGH SCHOOL players because they had camps set up where they could evaluate and take pictures and whatnot.  Anyhoo, now with the portal the value of a high school player has dropped dramatically.  Heck even juco's are considered second fiddle.  So don't get too upset as to where we fall in the rankings as it will all depend on how much damage we do in the portal.

I for one am optimistic about our chances.  We are in a great location for bounce back portal players.  I still feel that Seth made a grievous error in waiting TOO LONG to figure this out and that will probably we written on his UNT tombstone.  The next guy will be a portal DOG and we will benefit greatly from that indeed sort of like how Sonny was able to do at SMUt.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We are on the third season downward swing of the cycle.   This is past when most schools make a change.  

Well as you probably know by now this change will not happen until next season so you can keep beating your drum but the natives are taking the spring and summer off lol!

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So to recap -

We all thought the invite to the AAC would provide a bump. 

Still do, and already knew that it wouldn't be noticeable until we are actually on peoples screen, seen playing other AAC teams.

I also, however, am still wrapping my mind around wth SL and Co are doing.  It's clearly changed compared to the last 3 classes, and might offset what I believed about the AAC invite.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1