During recruiting...

NorthTexasWeLove

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

I got down voted for calling it out. I don't blame the kid, I blame the coaches for not marketing our school correctly.

We have a position it he AD for marketing.  The coaches can help, I'll give you that.

I blame our history.  We are still fighting off decades of anti-athletics, hide-your-brand culture here.  You don't have to go back very far to see an entire state that knows very little about who we are, and we are still seeing that in some of these remote (and not-so-remote) locations.

• Upvote 6

55 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We have a position it he AD for marketing.  The coaches can help, I'll give you that.

I blame our history.  We are still fighting off decades of anti-athletics, hide-your-brand culture here.  You don't have to go back very far to see an entire state that knows very little about who we are, and we are still seeing that in some of these remote (and not-so-remote) locations.

Constant changing of uniforms and colors. UNT - Mean Green - noting on Jerseys

How could anyone be confused? 

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If we're just talking about this particular case, I think it's more about him just not having any idea or impressions of who we are.

There's a discussion to be had about the confusion in our branding history: different names, different shades of green, and how we need to be better about that.  I absolutely agree with that.

I don't think this kid is mixing impressions, or got previous names confused, I think it's more likely he didn't know much about us in the first place and didn't bother with much research.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

People are confused because people are stupid. 

There are 130 FBS programs. It's not difficult to know their names, state geography and mascots. It's pretty simple, especially if you are heavily involved in football. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

People are confused because people are stupid. 

There are 130 FBS programs. It's not difficult to know their names, state geography and mascots. It's pretty simple, especially if you are heavily involved in football. 

I’m not so sure. I played high school football and followed college football on television but when I got to UNT at 18 years old, I had no idea what level or conference we played in. I was very familiar with the Big12/former SWC teams but that was about it outside of the bluebloods and national powerhouses. In high school you have so much going on that most don’t have time or interest to follow G5 college football unless they have a connection to a particular university.

You can imagine my surprise in the fall of ‘99 when I heard some students talking about how we beat Texas Tech. At that time I didn’t even know we’d be playing Texas Tech, or anyone else for that matter.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

So just so I can understand this, yall are bitching because the kid put University after North Texas? I get the complaint but yall need to figure out something else to bitch about. 

Can you correctly place "University" for all 130 FBS programs? Yes Marketing Dept, AD office and coaches should do a better job and the kid should know what the exact name of the university that he will be attending is but we created a forum to toss shade on an 18 year old kid?

The school has been open for 132 years and just over 30 years ago was named North Texas State UNIVERSITY. The university in that time has also had a total of 7 different names but yes this kid wasn't even alive when NTSU changed to UNT and yes The U in UNT stands for University and is before North Texas. 

Sorry for the Rant, its the ICE STORM that's got me in a bad mood 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

So just so I can understand this, yall are bitching because the kid put University after North Texas? I get the complaint but yall need to figure out something else to bitch about. 

Can you correctly place "University" for all 130 FBS programs? Yes Marketing Dept, AD office and coaches should do a better job and the kid should know what the exact name of the university that he will be attending is but we created a forum to toss shade on an 18 year old kid?

The school has been open for 132 years and just over 30 years ago was named North Texas State UNIVERSITY. The university in that time has also had a total of 7 different names but yes this kid wasn't even alive when NTSU changed to UNT and yes The U in UNT stands for University and is before North Texas. 

Sorry for the Rant, its the ICE STORM that's got me in a bad mood 

It's not really this one. If this was a one off no one would mention it. It's constant. All the time. It's partly due to name changes, but IMO, it's due to the fact that the admin still tries to brand us at North Texas. North Texas is a region. We are the university in said region. We need to be branded as UNT. Then, all of this confusion would stop pretty quickly. 

And I am assuming the kids school created this for him. Because ours didn't, which is another issue at its core. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

...there is nothing more certifiable than not even getting our institutions name correct. It's amazingly pathetic. 

I was getting out of UNT back in the day because of all the people that put a NUTS STICKER ON THEIR CAR... I told my GF that I got accepted at Southern Meth. Un. of TX and she said your a smut.. so I stayed at NTSU. I must of been nuts back then!

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not so sure. I played high school football and followed college football on television but when I got to UNT at 18 years old, I had no idea what level or conference we played in. I was very familiar with the Big12/former SWC teams but that was about it outside of the bluebloods and national powerhouses. In high school you have so much going on that most don’t have time or interest to follow G5 college football unless they have a connection to a particular university.

You can imagine my surprise in the fall of ‘99 when I heard some students talking about how we beat Texas Tech. At that time I didn’t even know we’d be playing Texas Tech, or anyone else for that matter.

@NorthTexasWeLove is right, still, though I would say "lazy" instead of stupid.

All it takes for any of these guys, whether you are a HS guy that has never heard of us, or the PxP at Georgetown who has only heard of us by our 4 previous names, is to do 10 seconds of internet searching to find our formal name, mascot, and moniker.

• Thanks 1