Goodbye College Football

MeanGreen_MBA

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Let me shout this for those in the cheap seats:

NIL MONEY IS NOT FROM THE SCHOOL, IT IS FROM BOOSTERS OR COMPANIES!!

https://businessofcollegesports.com/name-image-likeness/smu-supporters-plan-to-fund-1m-annually-for-nil-startup-ponyup/

I'm sure the SMU Athletics Dept had NOTHING to do with getting this NIL program setup that happens to benefit their players.

Maybe when the the Lovelace Family or whoever calls Wren promising to wave around a check for baseball (as the stories go at the occasional AD press conf) Wren should instead encourage them to setup a independent program similar to SMU's that helps these kids immediately get NIL money.  Otherwise the only NIL deals coming out of Denton will be a once a week free hamburger from RipRocks or all you can eat Fried Rice from Mr Chopsticks.

• Upvote 2

so I asked the question yesterday.  "What are we doing with nil money".  The answer was "We are not really supposed to know anything about that"  "The athletes are supposed to make those deals themselves with whoever is paying them" "We can't set those things up for them" 

I then asked "If that is true, then how can A&M say they are paying offensive linemen X?"  The answer was "No one really knows what the rules are yet."

So, what I thought was that people (businesses) would pay athletes to market their business, or their things.  What is happening is no where close to this.  Athletes are not supposed to be paid to play football, for example, they are supposed to be paid because they have some type of fame and can promote product, service etc.

Please feel free to shoot holes in this because I am having some organic discussions next week with some people to try to get our ball rolling.  Its gonna be hard because we would be going back to the same well we have been tapping for the last 15 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/3/2022 at 1:21 PM, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Lane Kiffin is a clown and to take anything he says as the gospel is ridiculous. He would 1000% take advantage of NIL if Ole Miss and the state if Mississippi had money but they dont

Maybe, he would not complain; however that doesn't change that he is absolutely right.  

NIL is a pay for play ploy, and is based on a very erroneous concept.

That concept is that college football teams make a lot of money and the players should get their fair share.

Sounds good, but it ignores the fact that probably 80% of programs don't make money on football or any other sport.

Basically all G5 schools and many P5's are heavily financed through mandatory student fees.   A concept that should crater when students revolt against paying players tuition, room and board plus other benefits. 

Why should any student contribute to a scholarship for an athlete that is being paid well through NIL?

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Lane Kiffin is a clown and to take anything he says as the gospel is ridiculous. He would 1000% take advantage of NIL if Ole Miss and the state if Mississippi had money but they dont

Agree 100%. Side-by-side with Prime Time, the Lane Train is the most self-serving coach in football. He wines in public but is trying to do the same things (he pulled in two 5*, and six 4* players from the portal). I loved it when Jimbo Fisher, though not calling him out by name, said if a certain person wants to sit down and talk about what they have done he would be happy to. Kiffin is an A-hole!

https://footballscoop.com/news/lane-kiffin-ole-miss-ncaa-transfers-free-agency

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2