Goodbye College Football

MeanGreen_MBA

The Miami Hurricanes were the last non-traditional school to breakthrough and win a National Championship.  You think they weren’t paying players the most?  Or are you one the few that think SMU was the only school doing that blatantly before the 1990s?  If so I have this crypto money investment opportunity that is foolproof guaranteed to give you a 20% return on your money for 10 years.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Quite honestly, the NIL is doing what the NCAA wouldn't do, which is create a new system for the NFL-lite factories to break away. Whether the NCAA even exists for the UTs, A&Ms, or OUs of the world is a very legitimate question.

What I do know is that a school like ours has no business being in a level of play with those Power schools with budgets that are 5x (or more) over ours. And if SMU thinks they can buy players now to compete with those Power schools, more power to them. What we always could have used as our greatest benefit, the enrollment, we didn't use it for decades, then decided to as we built Apogee, which I believe has a sunset feature to it, IIRC. Now, with NIL and the transfer portal being what it is, the recruiting game has changed over night and has basically rendered our large enrollment rather moot, since its all about $$$.

Money and power have killed this game. Its basically down to these schools for the playoff every year: Bama, UGa, Clemson, ND, OU, LSU, tOSU, and a few stragglers that get in and get beaten quickly by Bama or their friends listed above. And if A&M or UT can ever get their NIL to actually produce results, I suspect schools like OU and LSU might get hurt by this even more than anyone else. It all adds up to a big "Who cares..." by a large majority of people who used to love the game and its old traditions.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Hmmmmm.......... Kind of like their coaches. Who would have thought?

Coaching is a career choice…one where you can get fired.  I don’t think schools are able to fire players.  I’ve always hated this argument.  It’s apples to oranges.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Quite honestly, the NIL is doing what the NCAA wouldn't do, which is create a new system for the NFL-lite factories to break away. Whether the NCAA even exists for the UTs, A&Ms, or OUs of the world is a very legitimate question.

What I do know is that a school like ours has no business being in a level of play with those Power schools with budgets that are 5x (or more) over ours. And if SMU thinks they can buy players now to compete with those Power schools, more power to them. What we always could have used as our greatest benefit, the enrollment, we didn't use it for decades, then decided to as we built Apogee, which I believe has a sunset feature to it, IIRC. Now, with NIL and the transfer portal being what it is, the recruiting game has changed over night and has basically rendered our large enrollment rather moot, since its all about $$$.

Money and power have killed this game. Its basically down to these schools for the playoff every year: Bama, UGa, Clemson, ND, OU, LSU, tOSU, and a few stragglers that get in and get beaten quickly by Bama or their friends listed above. And if A&M or UT can ever get their NIL to actually produce results, I suspect schools like OU and LSU might get hurt by this even more than anyone else. It all adds up to a big "Who cares..." by a large majority of people who used to love the game and its old traditions.

This is what I find so disheartening about the situation. A lot of what makes college football great is being destroyed by NIL and the transfer portal, but no one seems to care. Coaches like Kiffin are making valid points about how this is bad for the sport and the majority of people just mock them.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Coaching is a career choice…one where you can get fired.  I don’t think schools are able to fire players.  I’ve always hated this argument.  It’s apples to oranges.

Schollies are year to year and are not honored in many cases. So yes, players do get "fired".

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

This Portal and NIL thing all at the same time has become a nightmare for a non-P5 school like us. 

For the portal, perhaps add a buyers-fee to schools; make a receiving school pay back the losing school for x-number of years of scholarship the kid used?

Interesting idea. Maybe make it contractual in the sense that if Team A is paying a player NIL money to transfer from Team B to their school, they have to pay a percentage to Team B for each year the player has left of eligibility. Assume that percentage set in the rules is 10%, if a player has 2 years left and you're paying the kid $100,000 to come over, you have to pay the school he's leaving $10,000 per year left so $20,000 to the school he's leaving. If the kid is coming over on his own with no NIL money, then no money is paid. Or just make it a set yearly fee if there's NIL money involved. Team A wants player from Team B and will pay him to come over. Regardless of how much money the player gets, Team A will pay Team B $100,000 per year of eligibility left.

Another idea to simplify things, make it like soccer transfers in Europe where you have to pay the school whatever they want to have them "sell" you the player. The player doesn't lose anything to break their "contract" but the buyer will have to pay to have the contract broken to then "purchase" the player.

Where things get dicey is how do you protect players who just want to transfer and aren't looking for the money deals. They just want to play. They have to find a way to protect those kids while also making the big dogs who want to buy success compensate the other schools for their losses.

Something has to be done to protect the 99% who can't compete this way.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Money and power have killed this game. Its basically down to these schools for the playoff every year: Bama, UGa, Clemson, ND, OU, LSU, tOSU, and a few stragglers that get in and get beaten quickly by Bama or their friends listed above. "Who cares..." by a large majority of people who used to love the game and its old traditions.

🙄 what “good ole days” College Football are you people talking about?.  I had to actually look up the National Champions since 1980 to make sure I wasn’t going in crazy.  BYU was the only uncontested Champion I vaguely had recollection of not rampantly paying players under the table.  (Due to their religion they often had the most mature teams in CFB.  And I may still be underestimating BYU paying players under the table).   Other than BYU they are paupers like Nebraska showing up frequently.  I am sorry but if you were a big fan near college age in 1984 you have way more coherent College Football Saturdays behind you than ahead of you.  College Football was going to loose those eyeball fairly soon enough due to natural causes not NIL and transfer rules. 🤣  There was never a time in College Football when it was remotely balanced as the NFL.  The top 15 brands in College football have ALWAYS dominated the national championship landscape.  NIL didn’t change that.  It now that more attention is being paid now with all the media and people finally realize the emperor never had clothes on to begin with. 🙄

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

9 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

Schollies are year to year and are not honored in many cases. So yes, players do get "fired".

I’ll admit my ignorance on this point, however, I can’t imagine “many” kids get their scholarship pulled if they are taking care of their business.  

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe all P5 programs now honor 4 years and do not "fire" players unless they violate rules.

Correct.  I didn’t realize it was only P5.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

I’ll admit my ignorance on this point, however, I can’t imagine “many” kids get their scholarship pulled if they are taking care of their business.  

Correct.  I didn’t realize it was only P5.

It happens too often. Many? Maybe that was a poor choice of words on my part but I've seen it here in basketball. In reading the tea leaves, two players (of the total of 13) were not renewed one year.

The P5 thing is worded to be abused. Think Lane Kiffin or Todd Graham. Those two would find ways not to renew. Players can be pushed out by unscrupulous coaches (there are many and many is not a poor choice of words here).

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 hours ago, MDH said:

G5s need to start charging a lot more for body bag games. We don't have other revenue sources to tap to get sizable NIL money.

Let me shout this for those in the cheap seats:

NIL MONEY IS NOT FROM THE SCHOOL, IT IS FROM BOOSTERS OR COMPANIES!!

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Let me shout this for those in the cheap seats:

NIL MONEY IS NOT FROM THE SCHOOL, IT IS FROM BOOSTERS OR COMPANIES!!

Let's play this one out.

Hey Mr. large UNT donor: instead of donating large amounts of $ this year to the AD how about you pay into an NIL pool instead? A&M just paid us $5m for the body bag!

So ya, it's one in the same.

Edited by MDH
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MDH said:

Let's play this one out.

Hey Mr. large UNT donor: instead of donating large amounts of $ this year to the AD how about you pay into an NIL pool instead? A&M just paid us $5m for the body bag!

So ya, it's one in the same.

I would also like to live in fantasy land. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1