4th commit in 24 Hours

TheReal_jayD

45 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Under the radar?  Never, ever said that.  I said players without offers.  Care to show me all the offers Fine had? 

You also said, in a different post in this very thread, overlooked.

I think you're wordsmithing here just for the sake of arguing.

We have had our share of athletes that surprised everyone.  Fine was not one of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Under the radar?  Never, ever said that.  I said players without offers.  Care to show me all the offers Fine had?  Cobbs, by your definition, wasn't an under the radar recruit either as he led Oklahoma in rushing his senior year, but wasn't heavily recruited.  We aren't the only school either. 

The nation is littered with players that were lightly recruited that turned out to be excellent players. 

* Desmond Ritter from Cincy held one other offer, Eastern Kentucky, when recruited.  He turned out pretty good.

* Logan Hall from Houston held offers from Sam Houston and Bowling Green.  Now on the NFL Draft's big board.

* Max Mitchell from LA-Lafayette.  2 star with offers from powers like Arkansas Monticello, Millsaps College, Northwestern St., and Quachita Baptist on the NFL Draft Top 50.

* Bernard Raimann, Central Michigan was a 6'7" 230lbs. OL with one other offer, Eastern Michigan, and is now rated as the 28th best player in the draft.

* Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa.  No other offers and the #25 player on the NFL Draft Board.

* Utah LB Devin Lloyd was a low three star safety recruit that also held offers from UNLV, CO St., Sacramento St and San Jose St.  #8 player on the NFL Draft Board.

I am not saying these kids we signed today are going to the NFL, but I am pointing out how some of these kids excel once they mature and grow.  Should we rely on this?  Not in the long run, but is we hit on a few, like Cincy, it could lead to success on the field which should translate to success in later recruiting

You shouldn't build a class based on Dimond in the rough hopefuls. Losers strategy 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have had our share of athletes that surprised everyone.  Fine was not one of them.

I stated there were kids that get overlooked all the time, and listed them. I guess you are taking that to mean “under the radar”.   Fine was not rated highly by the “experts” nor did he have offers from other D1 programs. 
Folks are being critical of the offer lists of some of our commitments and I was just trying to point out that there are successful players regardless of who offered them out of HS. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

Can we really say that a 5’9” level 2A QB becoming a four-year starter and all-time NT record holder wasn’t a bit of a surprise? If we are being honest, many (if not most) here at first assumed this might be a PWO to supplement our real QB target.  It is easy to look back and say we were not surprised but I sure was skeptical when he was only a recruit and before we saw what he was made of. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Can we really say that a 5’9” level 2A QB becoming a four-year starter and all-time NT record holder wasn’t a bit of a surprise? If we are being honest, many (if not most) here at first assumed this might be a PWO to supplement our real QB target.  It is easy to look back and say we were not surprised but I sure was skeptical when he was only a recruit and before we saw what he was made of. 

Right. Morris was supposed to come in from Alabama and tee it high. Fine got into a game pretty early season game (SMU?) and quickly flashed potential.  He was fun to watch. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, wardly said:

At present we are ranked 11th out of 14 in CUSA recruiting .If we were in AAC and with their existing membership North Texas would be ahead of only Navy.

Ever look back at some of our past classes?  We won the 2014 HOD Bowl with our 2013 seniors, etc...  Go back and look that the classes from '08 and '09.

Class of '08: Our top recruit was Riley Dodge.  The next seven either barely contributed, never made it on campus or left due to injury.  After Riley, the biggest contributor was our 8th ranked recruit, Royce Hill, who had a .8319 rating followed by Lance Dunbar with a .8274 rating.  The were sixteen recruits ranked below Dunbar and I think one or two really contributed.

Class of '09: Signed 19 young men and our highest rated recruit was OT Jeremy Bean (.8333).  You have to scan down to our 11th rated commitment to find the first young man that had a solid career and that would be DE Ryan Boutwell with a rating of .7889.  A couple spots below him was a young man out of Glen Rose named Derek Thompson (2 star - .7889).  Not to hurt any feelings, but their aren't many memorable names in the remainder of that class.

Class of '10: National Rank 117/CUSA #10.  This class included Antonio Johnson (.7933) as our top recruit and included Y'Barbo (.7870), Zach Orr (.7667), Brandin Byrd (.7444), Olawale (.7444), Will  Wright (.7333), Big Rich Abbe (.7333) and the second to lowest rated recruit in the class base on state ranking, Brelan Chancellor (.7333)

Class of '11: National Rank 109/CUSA 9.  Top ranked player was Freddy Wariner (.8216) and I think injuries kept him from ever contributing.  The top ranked recruits that contributed were Aaron Bellazin (.7667) and TE Marcus Smith (.7667).  After Bellazin, most recruits were assigned a rating of .7333, so going on state ranking, our next highest rated contributor was probably our #6 recruit, DE Daryl Mason, followed two spots behind by OL Cyril Lemon, then DT Alex Lincoln, LB Derek Akunne, DE/OLB Chad Polk, and RB Antoinne Jimmerson.  The craziest part of this class was the S Laramie Lee was ranked below Andrew McCar..McNulty.  Bottom of the class included DB Zac Whitfield and TE Andrew Power.

Others to note: '14 Jeff Wilson (2 star - .7676), '13 S James Jones (2 star - .7000), '13 WR Turner Smiley (2 star - .7398), 

The rankings are great and catch people's eye, but they are all based on high school production.  Let's welcome these young men and see how they work out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Good info UNTLifer ...

That is crazy looking at the guys from the Class of '10 that were graded lower than .80 ... Antonio Johnson (.7933), Y'Barbo (.7870), Zach Orr (.7667), Brandin Byrd (.7444), Olawale (.7444), Will  Wright (.7333), Big Rich Abbe (.7333), Brelan Chancellor (.7333)

That's a lot of very strong contributions from lower-rated players!!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

Good info UNTLifer ...

That is crazy looking at the guys from the Class of '10 that were graded lower than .80 ... Antonio Johnson (.7933), Y'Barbo (.7870), Zach Orr (.7667), Brandin Byrd (.7444), Olawale (.7444), Will  Wright (.7333), Big Rich Abbe (.7333), Brelan Chancellor (.7333)

That's a lot of very strong contributions from lower-rated players!!

Sometimes these "lower-rated" players have 4* motivation and desire, and some of our higher rated players seem to have 2* motivation. Not gong to lie, not impressed what we have done with more HS players available and our resources (facilities, new conference. etc.) - Hope this works,

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2022 at 12:05 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

•••The 2022 Mean Green will win 6 or 7 games.  (We will have a QB who makes that do-able).  
•••Seth Littrell will then get a 2 year extension to his contract giving him 3 more seasons at North Texas, ie, 2023, 2024 & 2025.  

throw up team america GIF

#OldDenton is life!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2