4th commit in 24 Hours

TheReal_jayD

Okay listen, don’t yell at me or whatever but this is an extremely underwhelming class. Like I think the guys we signed are good, and have a chance to completely prove me wrong in every aspect, but this is not even close to an AAC caliber class. I’m not saying stars matter though. Just feels like 2016-17, that did have some of the best talent we’ve seen here at NT, but that was after 1-11, this is after 6-7…

Hopefully I’m proved wrong in every way and we win a championship with these guys, but as of now I’m skeptical.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Beat out Texas state!! AAC isn't going to be ready for us

Seems I read recently that Thomas Bell, Tylor Perry, Drez McBride and J.J. Murray didn't have any offers as well.

Also, it has been written over and over again that the portal is hurting HS kids that would normally receive offers.  You never know until they get on campus.  We might end up with the next Fine, Quinn, Cobbs, etc. that didn't receive many offers.  SL and staff have proven to be adept at finding talent.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Okay listen, don’t yell at me or whatever but this is an extremely underwhelming class. Like I think the guys we signed are good, and have a chance to completely prove me wrong in every aspect, but this is not even close to an AAC caliber class. I’m not saying stars matter though. Just feels like 2016-17, that did have some of the best talent we’ve seen here at NT, but that was after 1-11, this is after 6-7…

Hopefully I’m proved wrong in every way and we win a championship with these guys, but as of now I’m skeptical.

WE have 9 Schollys left. I am going to see what they can real in from the portal. If they can find a couple Tommy Bushs and ENoch Jackson I am going to be pretty pleased.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Seems I read recently that Thomas Bell, Tylor Perry, Drez McBride and J.J. Murray didn't have any offers as well.

Also, it has been written over and over again that the portal is hurting HS kids that would normally receive offers.  You never know until they get on campus.  We might end up with the next Fine, Quinn, Cobbs, etc. that didn't receive many offers.  SL and staff have proven to be adept at finding talent.

Here’s the thing about comparing basketball and football. McCasland can develop, Littrell can’t develop even close to the way Mac does. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I will agree we have signed several hs kids that if not for the portal I think they would have been P5

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Because football and basketball is comparable. 

Hopefully this guy comes in and gets yoked and is ready to go at this level. Welcome. 

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Hopefully this guy comes in and gets yoked and is ready to go at this level. Welcome. 

Aldo one has an excellent coach, the other doesn't.  Apples/oranges.  I hope this kid is a stud but my frustration is the class not individual recruiting. We haven't beaten many teams in recruiting battles 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I know the two sports aren't comparable, but there is talent out there that gets overlooked all the time.  I mentioned in another thread some of our greats, Quinn, Fine, Cobbs, were overlooked coming out of high school.  More recently, a young QB by the name of Desmond Ridder had two offers out of high school, Eastern Kentucky and Cincinnati.

Will these kids have that kind of career?  I have no idea, but I do trust Luke and Seth's eye for talent.  They are now part of my team and I will welcome them and wish them the best.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Stop hyping or downgrading these commits individually please.  It’s meaningless and only hurts the perception of the program at this point. Hopefully all these guys are ready to work hard through the challenges they will face at UNT.  I welcome all of them whether they have stars or not.  

Thank you, Sir! Fly Like An Eagle!

• Upvote 3

Spare me any notion that Fine was under the radar.  He was a record setting, 2x Gatorade All American that was a couple inches short of going anywhere he wanted.

I'm all for finding diamonds in the rough, will hold my tongue right now, but let's not be surprised when/if we are struggling to hit 0.500 in a couple years.  If we hit 9, great! We found some diamonds in the rough.

....but who else is tired of relying on diamonds in the rough?!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Last year when we had the top class there was a lot of shouting about how great of a job. Now we , at least on paper, have a really bad class and people are saying how we need to hold back the complaints

#Hit6(please) #OldDentonLives

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I think this class will be OK (with a few late surprises) & —- those signing (& committing) to North Texas now deserve special commendation because of so much going on now.  

You know our opponents are wearing out the “but he only has 1 more year left on his contract” card to the point of ad nauseam.  

The Great Santini Predicts:

•••The 2022 Mean Green will win 6 or 7 games.  (We will have a QB who makes that do-able).  
•••Seth Littrell will then get a 2 year extension to his contract giving him 3 more seasons at North Texas, ie, 2023, 2024 & 2025.  

••• Littrell will pick up where he left off before the Kansas State situation (somewhat) muddied everybody’s waters. 

•••Wren Baker will close a deal with a major donor(s) giving North Texas Athletics $50,000,000 which would be our largest single financial gift to date & that to be used to add-on to the Athletic Center with a dramatic expansion which will tie on to Apogee Stadium & double as a (quite impressive) End Zone facility.   

️ Scale Mizzoos End Zone facility down for fabulous Apogee Stadium & we got something special. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Spare me any notion that Fine was under the radar.  He was a record setting, 2x Gatorade All American that was a couple inches short of going anywhere he wanted.

I'm all for finding diamonds in the rough, will hold my tongue right now, but let's not be surprised when/if we are struggling to hit 0.500 in a couple years.  If we hit 9, great! We found some diamonds in the rough.

....but who else is tired of relying on diamonds in the rough?!

Under the radar?  Never, ever said that.  I said players without offers.  Care to show me all the offers Fine had?  Cobbs, by your definition, wasn't an under the radar recruit either as he led Oklahoma in rushing his senior year, but wasn't heavily recruited.  We aren't the only school either. 

The nation is littered with players that were lightly recruited that turned out to be excellent players. 

* Desmond Ritter from Cincy held one other offer, Eastern Kentucky, when recruited.  He turned out pretty good.

* Logan Hall from Houston held offers from Sam Houston and Bowling Green.  Now on the NFL Draft's big board.

* Max Mitchell from LA-Lafayette.  2 star with offers from powers like Arkansas Monticello, Millsaps College, Northwestern St., and Quachita Baptist on the NFL Draft Top 50.

* Bernard Raimann, Central Michigan was a 6'7" 230lbs. OL with one other offer, Eastern Michigan, and is now rated as the 28th best player in the draft.

* Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa.  No other offers and the #25 player on the NFL Draft Board.

* Utah LB Devin Lloyd was a low three star safety recruit that also held offers from UNLV, CO St., Sacramento St and San Jose St.  #8 player on the NFL Draft Board.

I am not saying these kids we signed today are going to the NFL, but I am pointing out how some of these kids excel once they mature and grow.  Should we rely on this?  Not in the long run, but is we hit on a few, like Cincy, it could lead to success on the field which should translate to success in later recruiting

• Oh Boy! 1

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Under the radar?  Never, ever said that.  I said players without offers.  Care to show me all the offers Fine had?  Cobbs, by your definition, wasn't an under the radar recruit either as he led Oklahoma in rushing his senior year, but wasn't heavily recruited.  We aren't the only school either. 

The nation is littered with players that were lightly recruited that turned out to be excellent players. 

* Desmond Ritter from Cincy held one other offer, Eastern Kentucky, when recruited.  He turned out pretty good.

* Logan Hall from Houston held offers from Sam Houston and Bowling Green.  Now on the NFL Draft's big board.

* Max Mitchell from LA-Lafayette.  2 star with offers from powers like Arkansas Monticello, Millsaps College, Northwestern St., and Quachita Baptist on the NFL Draft Top 50.

* Bernard Raimann, Central Michigan was a 6'7" 230lbs. OL with one other offer, Eastern Michigan, and is now rated as the 28th best player in the draft.

* Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa.  No other offers and the #25 player on the NFL Draft Board.

* Utah LB Devin Lloyd was a low three star safety recruit that also held offers from UNLV, CO St., Sacramento St and San Jose St.  #8 player on the NFL Draft Board.

I am not saying these kids we signed today are going to the NFL, but I am pointing out how some of these kids excel once they mature and grow.  Should we rely on this?  Not in the long run, but is we hit on a few, like Cincy, it could lead to success on the field which should translate to success in later recruiting

Your point, however low-probability, stands.
There's just 1 problem with the bolded part:
5e1ba78b89a77.image.jpg?resize=400,267

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1