Walerius Signals new Commit(s?)

BillySee58

I'm gonna take a guess and say these commits have little to no FBS offers, and we're battling South by Northwest Montana Tech for their commitment?

Seth and Luke must've been damn good snake oil salesmen last year, because this year recruits are waking up to the truth of how bad of a situation we have and are clearly adjusting.

Nobody wants to get on a sinking ship. I don't blame them

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 8
  • Puking Eagle 1

28 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm gonna take a guess and say these commits have little to no FBS offers, and we're battling South by Northwest Montana Tech for their commitment?

Seth and Luke must've been damn good snake oil salesmen last year, because this year recruits are waking up to the truth of how bad of a situation we have and are clearly adjusting.

Nobody wants to get on a sinking ship. I don't blame them

We can talk about those "highly touted" classes all day long, but as more and more of those very classes abandon ship, it's all for not. NSD classes aren't bowl wins and conference championships. We got good players here, now those players are leaving and we aren't replacing them with equal or greater talent. Player retention is now a huge part of the job and the only thing we have good retention in is overpaid athletic department employees. WB keeps talking about a surplus in the AD each year. My only question to that is, how? Gonna send in Frank Wilson to check the numbers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We can talk about those "highly touted" classes all day long, but as more and more of those very classes abandon ship, it's all for not. NSD classes aren't bowl wins and conference championships. We got good players here, now those players are leaving and we aren't replacing them with equal or greater talent. Player retention is now a huge part of the job and the only thing we have good retention in is overpaid athletic department employees. WB keeps talking about a surplus in the AD each year. My only question to that is, how? Gonna send in Frank Wilson to check the numbers. 

Three starters left...three.  The majority we have lost has hurt our depth as they have been players that haven't been listed on the two deep and are looking for playing time.  The "portal era" is new for everyone, but when I look at what some teams have lost as compared to us, I am not as concerned as I was initially.  

The change in recruiting strategy has me somewhat worried at this point, but understanding that almost 80% of our roster this past year was underclassmen, I can see why they have shifted their focus to transfers and JUCOs.  As a fan with no other team that I come close to caring about, I will choose to wait and see what our class looks like when all of the signings have taken place before I pass judgement.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Three starters left...three.  The majority we have lost has hurt our depth as they have been players that haven't been listed on the two deep and are looking for playing time.  The "portal era" is new for everyone, but when I look at what some teams have lost as compared to us, I am not as concerned as I was initially.  

The change in recruiting strategy has me somewhat worried at this point, but understanding that almost 80% of our roster this past year was underclassmen, I can see why they have shifted their focus to transfers and JUCOs.  As a fan with no other team that I come close to caring about, I will choose to wait and see what our class looks like when all of the signings have taken place before I pass judgement.

Depth. Is. Important. Read that 3x. 

Though I do understand what you're saying. I just don't see us getting anywhere near where we want to be with this staff and roster/recruiting. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove

I dont get this thought that we have a mass exodus on our hands… what have we truly lost? Outside of the twins, some grad transfers and guys that haven’t cracked the rotation?

Unless you’re Bama, Georgia, etc, teams have down recruiting cycles all the time. UTSA which everyone loves to compare us to? 2 years ago they had the 9th ranked class in CUSA. It happens. The upcoming season is really all that matters at this point. If we have a great year, should translate into recruiting wins. Bad year? Well everyone gets their wish of a new coach. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Depth. Is. Important. Read that 3x. 

Though I do understand what you're saying. I just don't see us getting anywhere near where we want to be with this staff and roster/recruiting. 

I agree depth is important.  I just don't know how your last sentence can be made when we don't know what the final product of this recruiting class is at this time.  It would be like telling my best friend his fiance is ugly when he doesn't even have a girlfriend yet.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I dont get this thought that we have a mass exodus on our hands… what have we truly lost? Outside of the twins, some grad transfers and guys that haven’t cracked the rotation?

Unless you’re Bama, Georgia, etc, teams have down recruiting cycles all the time. UTSA which everyone loves to compare us to? 2 years ago they had the 9th ranked class in CUSA. It happens. The upcoming season is really all that matters at this point. If we have a great year, should translate into recruiting wins. Bad year? Well everyone gets their wish of a new coach. 

There is no proof in that pudding. We've seen bad years, multitude of them. Yet, he's entering year 7. SEVEN. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree depth is important.  I just don't know how your last sentence can be made when we don't know what the final product of this recruiting class is at this time.

Because of the success of this staff in bringing in transfers that can or will make an impact. Pretty easy, actually. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree depth is important.  I just don't know how your last sentence can be made when we don't know what the final product of this recruiting class is at this time.  It would be like telling my best friend his fiance is ugly when he doesn't even have a girlfriend yet.

Had to requote you and respond to your edit...

If my buddy is deadA ugly and has nothing to offer, he's going to pull an ugly chick. Get it? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because of the success of this staff in bringing in transfers that can or will make an impact. Pretty easy, actually. 

How can you rate the success or failure of this staff bringing in transfers?  We have signed about 4, Earle, Head, Asengua, etc., up to this point in this class.  Again, I will choose to wait and see the final product prior to passing judgement.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Based on the past, I have several friends I could say that to.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How can you rate the success or failure of this staff bringing in transfers?  We have signed about 4, Earle, Head, Asengua, etc., up to this point in this class.  Again, I will choose to wait and see the final product prior to passing judgement.

Easy:
D'Andre Plantin
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Carson Kropp
Amani Gilmore
Jordan Rucker
Sean-Thomas Faulkner
Ridge Texada
Greg Francis
Tommy Bush
Enoch Jackson (Gotta admit, I'm excited about this one)
Jace Ruder
Tyrae Thornton
John Davis
Logan Wilson
Jacob Farrell

Where are the difference-making transfers in here so far?

Then this year's transfers, whom we haven't seen yet...

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Easy:
D'Andre Plantin
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Carson Kropp
Amani Gilmore
Jordan Rucker
Sean-Thomas Faulkner
Ridge Texada
Greg Francis
Tommy Bush
Jace Ruder
Tyrae Thornton
John Davis
Logan Wilson
Jacob Farrell

And yet we seem to have steered course away from high school players in favor of these types. The frustrating thing you hear from coaches is that they feel like the portal is more of a sure thing. That’s only true if you’re getting a player who has legit experience. When you’re getting backups who have spent 2-3 years playing almost no snaps I’m not sure how that’s supposed to be more of a sure thing than a high school recruit.

And the issue seems to be compounding with the high school recruiting we are doing having fallen a step below where it was in previous years.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Easy:
D'Andre Plantin
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Carson Kropp
Amani Gilmore
Jordan Rucker
Sean-Thomas Faulkner
Ridge Texada
Greg Francis
Tommy Bush
Jace Ruder
Tyrae Thornton
John Davis
Logan Wilson
Jacob Farrell

Yes, I was referencing past transfer commits, not current.