Murphy gets offer from Penn State

jperg2

1 hour ago, MDH said:

I should've just stuck with PwC out of school since they committed to me with that job offer. How dare I busted my ass for years on my own time preparing myself for the world of finance where I now work a fraction and make a multiple. It's no different with these athletes. They're likely not the same athlete/player as they were when they came out of HS. They busted it in the weight room, in the video room to learn how to improve. Did my job at PwC help me in my maturation? Yes. Did I do more of the heavy lifting myself? Of course.

So funny story I think I actually tried to recruit you (and a few of your PwC cohorts) a long time ago to get you a better opportunity but I kept calling the Dallas office so much they sent me a cease and desist letter...

Not related at all to this thread. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Yeah, loyalty is such an old school thing.  Hope you young guys out for yourselves have a family, business or wife that can forgive you when you leave all them behind for that better opportunity.  It's the "All about me" world today. Sad.

I think you twisted my words here. 

I am going to take an opportunity that is better to help my family. My wife (and future kid) is part of my decision making. 

Texas is an at will state - an employer can fire me at any time. An employer doesnt have to give me a notice that I'm being fired. Why would I have any loyalty to them- my loyalty is to helping my friends and family. 

Murphy twins can trade anonymity for money, exposure and future opps. I don't blame them. If your boss doesn't put you in a position to succeed, why would you stay with them? 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I want another coach also, but blaming Seth for this is ridiculous.  EVERY school in America is losing players to the portal. Georgia won the national championship and they have players entering the portal.  Is that Kirby Smart’s fault?  No.  It’s just the way things are nowadays.  Grass is always greener.  Transferring works out for some, not for others.  I absolutely despise the portal, but it is what it is.  It may eventually turn me off to college football, but for now it just irritates me.

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I want another coach also, but blaming Seth for this is ridiculous.  EVERY school in America is losing players to the portal. Georgia won the national championship and they have players entering the portal.  Is that Kirby Smart’s fault?  No.  It’s just the way things are nowadays.  Grass is always greener.  Transferring works out for some, not for others.  I absolutely despise the portal, but it is what it is.  It may eventually turn me off to college football, but for now it just irritates me.

Take this from a macro perspective- its not just college football. The "great rehiring " is going on in the professional world- people are leaving jobs for more money, greener pastures. I won't blame Seth for this- we're at the bottom of the food chain - let's build an awesome team, an awesome NIL program and an awesome environment and see what happens. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I blame @NorthTexasSportsNetwork for having a yelling match with the players. It is the most logical reason for a player to leave. They do fear him after all.

Scared Dog GIF
Yeah my intimidating figure struck a nerve, I’m very sorry Mean Green Nation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Doesn't make it right.  You youngsters are so weird.  The lack of commitment is also reflected in the divorce rate.

Sometimes there is value and great lessons in sticking to your commitments, building something better, working through difficult times and leaving something better than you found it when you time is up.  It's called character.

Something this generation knows little about.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 1/30/2022 at 7:59 PM, Udomann said:

If the Murphy's want to buy me dinner, take me dancing, maybe take that extra 10% on the last kiss of the night... Then catfish me, sure.

Otherwise I will not blame someone for taking a promotion. You'd do it at your job.

Funny thing, they probably had a better chance at getting paid in college as stars at a smaller school then being buried in the depth chart at a larger school. I wish them the best but I'm astounded that they may be leaving. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Funny thing, they probably had a better chance at getting paid in college as stars at a smaller school then being buried in the depth chart at a larger school. I wish them the best but I'm astounded that they may be leaving. 

So I can as thinking the same thing and also that sometimes changing places is not the best thing.  I don’t wish bad in them but it sure seems like they could have continued to do well here closer to home.  Good luck to them.

• Upvote 2

No use getting worked up about losing the best players.  The system is set up to do exactly that.  There is little any school can do when a player gets good enough to attract attention from programs higher up the food chain and has a transfer available.  

The UCLA and Texas's of the world can always out-bid and provide more exposure than any G5 and most of the P5's.  

Rules need to change, but it will never happen unless the NCAA completely collapses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I have to think at this high level of schools they move back to linebacker!

I don't know about that, at least, not in the traditional LB position.  I suppose it will depend on scheme.   

What I would be more worried about if I'm them is that we would have to share an OLB/Jack spot in a 3-down front.   Because (as you're saying), I doubt either will be a hand-on-the-ground DE at PSU or USC like Grayson was here last year.

• Upvote 1

Initially I was pretty frustrated by them leaving but now seeing the offers they are getting, I think this could actually help us long term. Maybe guys on the lower-mid-tier P5 recruiting bubble will look to us instead as a place they can build their transfer stock to go to a blueblood program. It could potentially lead us to getting better players albeit for a shorter time period.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 1/31/2022 at 9:52 AM, UNTLifer said:

Doesn't make it right.  You youngsters are so weird.  The lack of commitment is also reflected in the divorce rate.

Sometimes there is value and great lessons in sticking to your commitments, building something better, working through difficult times and leaving something better than you found it when you time is up.  It's called character.

I don't get the comparison between commitments to marriage and a football team.   One is hopefully a lifetime commitment and the other at least use to be 4 years.  

Not to mention, a marriage decision should be far more important than an athletic team or a job. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I'm wondering if both will be starters as well. I'm thinking of many basketball programs where one brother is a star and the other is buried on the bench. Rarely are both getting starter minutes and producing at a high level. If one brother wins a starting job and the other doesn't, will they both be happy? Then what? I hope they're not getting fed promises because at the end of the day, coaches are paid to win and they aren't going to start you and your brother just because they told you they would.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:07 AM, Udomann said:

Exactly. If Wren and Seth had taken care of business...this wouldn't even be a problem. And if someone did leave for greener pastures, wish them well and replace them. Which we can't. Because our coaches apparently don't know how.

Exactly... If Seth & Co can't do what it take from wins, training, in game performance, promotion of the team, and promotion of the players to get these kids into the NFL then I'd recommend the kids go elsewhere too. 

How many times on Sunday when they're introducing the starting line do you hear "...from University of North Texas".  These young players notice this too.  Playing D1 football just to get a piece of paper is may be cost effective from a $$$ perspective vs paying 2020 era tuition, but long term its a hell of a way to destroy your body just to save money.  I don't know why any of these guys would play if they didn't have real Any Given Sunday ambitions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1