Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Promotions - Getting DFW to The Super Pit


Recommended Posts

When Hayden Fry came to North Texas, he had his players stand on each corner of the Denton square with the task of selling tickets to every passersby. 

Maybe we should try something like that again?

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 1:14 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

How on earth is New Mexico State, in a very Covid restricted state, drawing 12,000 while we can’t even hit 4.

Embarrassing 

C50B6DF3-7AC7-4992-9FA8-9F544BF9D38A.jpeg

Clearly it's about the opponent for NMSU.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading this thread is raising my blood pressure.  Don't we pay people to promote the games/team in order to increase attendance and create an exciting environment?  It really isn't that difficult to come up with ideas.  If they can't figure this out maybe they should take a trip over to the business school marketing department.  Let's see....

Product - Check (check, check, check)!

Price - Check

Place - Check (some may find flaws, but it's not the problem)

Promotion -  Crickets

What exactly are they doing to get students on campus to attend games?  What has worked, what hasn't?  What goals did they set for themselves? Are they meeting those goals?

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, keith said:

Reading this thread is raising my blood pressure.  Don't we pay people to promote the games/team in order to increase attendance and create an exciting environment?  It really isn't that difficult to come up with ideas.  If they can't figure this out maybe they should take a trip over to the business school marketing department.  Let's see....

Product - Check (check, check, check)!

Price - Check

Place - Check (some may find flaws, but it's not the problem)

Promotion -  Crickets

What exactly are they doing to get students on campus to attend games?  What has worked, what hasn't?  What goals did they set for themselves? Are they meeting those goals?

All I’ve seen is a flash sale and that’s about it….

But the town and students just do not care as much. The square doesn’t even do a good job promoting UNT sports anymore. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Big Z said:

All I’ve seen is a flash sale and that’s about it….

But the town and students just do not care as much. The square doesn’t even do a good job promoting UNT sports anymore. 

I would say we get Andrew to go out in the town and promote UNT, but I have a feeling the Buffalo loss and 7 man rotation would be brought up… lol

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, keith said:

Price - Check

Now I'm known as a cheap guy so don't fight me on this, but if they want seats filled up, they should lower this to $5 tickets for the rest of the season. Currently the cheapest tickets to the game on 2-24 are $16. Factor in a family of 4 you're looking at $64 plus taxes, fees, gas, and food/drinks. Times are tough and prices everywhere are going up. Budgets are tight for some families. $5 tickets makes it really hard to pass up. Not much out there that can beat $20 family entertainment for a family of 4. Just like pro sporting events, the prices are up because of scalpers but basic ticket prices are actually relatively low. Like I said, don't fight me. My point is make it as difficult as possible to pass up.

When I was at UNT, the Cinemark used to do half off on Thursdays and half off for students. We used to go for $3. Hard to pass up no matter what movies are out there.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Hear me out - we get the Argyle Police Department to donate one of those giant parking lot watching crane things they put out in malls around Christmas and Andrew sits up there from the middle concourse in the Pit until he can find Emmitt at the game and draw a nice picture of him. Once he's done, we all clap, mic him up and let him do play-by-play through a special streaming feed for everyone in a special upper deck section of the Pit that is typically reserved for bats and little kids who can't sit still in normal seats. Out of town fans can also donate $5 to hear the Andrew feed at home. Additionally, every Andrew picture is left on a special seat to reserve that seat as off limits for future games (don't sit on the marked seats!) and we slowly make our way around the top of arena each game.

Also, if Grant plays 10 players in a game, everyone who has ever been to a North Texas game gets a free Wendy's value menu item. 

Now who wants to approach Buffalo Wild Wings about sponsoring a charter for a certain rematch so we can close out all the open plot threads?

Might as well sign Grant to that lifetime contract! Problem solved. Well done, my friend!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 8:30 AM, Matt from A700 said:

 

And if the RA's are leading the charge, I'll reiterate what I said in another thread about starting parade lines from Kerr/Greene Hall and Bruce Hall to build up the hype and anticipation to the Pit.

 

 

I've always liked this idea. Have Talons or another spirit group lead a parade and call out students with megaphones from dorms as they walk over. 

 

Whoever said a free tuition contest for students (half court shot? a certain number of 3s?) is a good idea. You could do one for students and one for fans (free season tickets or some other prize.)

Edited by Green Otaku
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing we should do is forget Denton residents. Don’t need them. We have what? 100k to 150k alumni living within a 45 minute drive of the arena. Then probably 25k or so students living on or adjacent to campus (within Denton). We don’t need anyone but the people already predisposed. Convince THEM to care and we are golden. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Now I'm known as a cheap guy so don't fight me on this, but if they want seats filled up, they should lower this to $5 tickets for the rest of the season. Currently the cheapest tickets to the game on 2-24 are $16. Factor in a family of 4 you're looking at $64 plus taxes, fees, gas, and food/drinks. Times are tough and prices everywhere are going up. Budgets are tight for some families. $5 tickets makes it really hard to pass up. Not much out there that can beat $20 family entertainment for a family of 4. Just like pro sporting events, the prices are up because of scalpers but basic ticket prices are actually relatively low. Like I said, don't fight me. My point is make it as difficult as possible to pass up.

When I was at UNT, the Cinemark used to do half off on Thursdays and half off for students. We used to go for $3. Hard to pass up no matter what movies are out there.

No family four pack anymore at the Super pit? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, ADLER said:

Outside the Super Pit on the night of a huge game

Amazon.com: 4" x 6" Black Rectangle Labels (500 per Roll) : Industrial &  Scientific

 

Outside the Super Pit on a night when absolutely nothing is happeningAmazon.com: 4" x 6" Black Rectangle Labels (500 per Roll) : Industrial &  Scientific

Notice the differences? Neither do potential fans.

Any Questions?

That’s a great point.  How much are spotlight rentals?  
 

And another idea that just hit me.  How hard would it be to get a verbal “contract” with every bar and restaurant in Denton that has a television where we email them every time we have a game that is televised and they agree to turn it on for patrons to watch?  It may not bring people into the pit at first, but the continued exposure to eyeballs may drum up some desire to be at the next game.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Now I'm known as a cheap guy so don't fight me on this, but if they want seats filled up, they should lower this to $5 tickets for the rest of the season. Currently the cheapest tickets to the game on 2-24 are $16. Factor in a family of 4 you're looking at $64 plus taxes, fees, gas, and food/drinks. Times are tough and prices everywhere are going up. Budgets are tight for some families. $5 tickets makes it really hard to pass up. Not much out there that can beat $20 family entertainment for a family of 4. Just like pro sporting events, the prices are up because of scalpers but basic ticket prices are actually relatively low. Like I said, don't fight me. My point is make it as difficult as possible to pass up.

When I was at UNT, the Cinemark used to do half off on Thursdays and half off for students. We used to go for $3. Hard to pass up no matter what movies are out there.

I realize the title is getting DFW  to the Super Pit, but I was referring specifically to getting students to the games.  They still get in for free, right?  How many live on campus or within a 5-mile radius?  Pull out all the stops to get as many to the games as possible.  

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Big Z said:

No family four pack anymore at the Super pit? 

No clue. It's not advertised on the tickets website that I could see. 

 

26 minutes ago, keith said:

I realize the title is getting DFW  to the Super Pit, but I was referring specifically to getting students to the games.  

Gotcha. Yeah surely there's more they can do. When I was there (2011-2014), I don't remember there being many efforts made to get students to go. Honestly, it was almost like athletics didn't exist unless it was homecoming or if you chose to pay attention.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

That’s a great point.  How much are spotlight rentals?  
 

And another idea that just hit me.  How hard would it be to get a verbal “contract” with every bar and restaurant in Denton that has a television where we email them every time we have a game and they agree to turn it on for patrons to watch?  It may not bring people into the pit at first, but the continued exposure to eyeballs may drum up some desire to be at the next game.  

Are our games on regular non-subscription television? Are UTEP's, NMSU's, UNM's, and WKU's? Familiarity with the coaches and players sure seems to boost community support and cause sellout crowds.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, keith said:

I realize the title is getting DFW  to the Super Pit, but I was referring specifically to getting students to the games.  They still get in for free, right?  How many live on campus or within a 5-mile radius?  Pull out all the stops to get as many to the games as possible.  

I think they get in free but there is some red tape like they have to show their ID to the ticket office prior to the game and whatnot.  Would like to see that simplified similar to what they are doing on voting.  It should be very easy for a student to show up and get into the game for free even if they lost their ID as many of us did and couldn’t afford to buy a new one.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

First thing we should do is forget Denton residents. Don’t need them. We have what? 100k to 150k alumni living within a 45 minute drive of the arena. Then probably 25k or so students living on or adjacent to campus (within Denton). We don’t need anyone but the people already predisposed. Convince THEM to care and we are golden. 

I would also try some promotions in Corinth as it is a close enough drive and there are lots of basketball fans that live there.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How amazing it is to see this board have to come up with ideas to market and advertise a first place basketball program. Someone gets paid to not do any of this in the athletic department. Hell, there are marketing and advertising professors and students that could be used to help with this across campus, which would be great experience for their resumes. 
 

So freaking sad.

  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Quoner said:

Hear me out - we get the Argyle Police Department to donate one of those giant parking lot watching crane things they put out in malls around Christmas and Andrew sits up there from the middle concourse in the Pit until he can find Emmitt at the game and draw a nice picture of him. Once he's done, we all clap, mic him up and let him do play-by-play through a special streaming feed for everyone in a special upper deck section of the Pit that is typically reserved for bats and little kids who can't sit still in normal seats. Out of town fans can also donate $5 to hear the Andrew feed at home. Additionally, every Andrew picture is left on a special seat to reserve that seat as off limits for future games (don't sit on the marked seats!) and we slowly make our way around the top of arena each game.

Also, if Grant plays 10 players in a game, everyone who has ever been to a North Texas game gets a free Wendy's value menu item. 

Now who wants to approach Buffalo Wild Wings about sponsoring a charter for a certain rematch so we can close out all the open plot threads?

This is the kind of content I used to enjoy on the site, but unfortunately it is rare anymore. I'd like my money back unless we get more of this.

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

This is the kind of content I used to enjoy on the site, but unfortunately it is rare anymore. I'd like my money back unless we get more of this.

My sentiments exactly. This board had some of the best athletic themed satire on the internet for a long time.

  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Quoner said:

Hear me out - we get the Argyle Police Department to donate one of those giant parking lot watching crane things they put out in malls around Christmas and Andrew sits up there from the middle concourse in the Pit until he can find Emmitt at the game and draw a nice picture of him. Once he's done, we all clap, mic him up and let him do play-by-play through a special streaming feed for everyone in a special upper deck section of the Pit that is typically reserved for bats and little kids who can't sit still in normal seats. Out of town fans can also donate $5 to hear the Andrew feed at home. Additionally, every Andrew picture is left on a special seat to reserve that seat as off limits for future games (don't sit on the marked seats!) and we slowly make our way around the top of arena each game.

Also, if Grant plays 10 players in a game, everyone who has ever been to a North Texas game gets a free Wendy's value menu item. 

Now who wants to approach Buffalo Wild Wings about sponsoring a charter for a certain rematch so we can close out all the open plot threads?

🤣

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Now I'm known as a cheap guy so don't fight me on this, but if they want seats filled up, they should lower this to $5 tickets for the rest of the season. Currently the cheapest tickets to the game on 2-24 are $16. Factor in a family of 4 you're looking at $64 plus taxes, fees, gas, and food/drinks. Times are tough and prices everywhere are going up. Budgets are tight for some families. $5 tickets makes it really hard to pass up. Not much out there that can beat $20 family entertainment for a family of 4. Just like pro sporting events, the prices are up because of scalpers but basic ticket prices are actually relatively low. Like I said, don't fight me. My point is make it as difficult as possible to pass up.

When I was at UNT, the Cinemark used to do half off on Thursdays and half off for students. We used to go for $3. Hard to pass up no matter what movies are out there.

AD email today had basically a $5 a ticket offer for the next two games for those looking for a discount price point. Tell your friends. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Quoner said:

AD email today had basically a $5 a ticket offer for the next two games for those looking for a discount price point. Tell your friends. 

Is there a link to buy the tickets? I don't get these emails. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.