Weekend Before NSD

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

Honestly, why would any recruit wants to come to UNT when all they read on this board is the coach needs to be fired, our recruiting sucks, we will be terrible next season, our recruits are terrible, we can compete…..on and on.

So we should pretend everything is great because maybe that will hide our deficiencies and allow us o trick these young men into thinking this is a football Nirvana?  So you think these kids don’t read Twitter and see alL of the portal defections?  Give me a break!  We all want UNT to succeed but we need to be honest with ourselves as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

So we should pretend everything is great because maybe that will hide our deficiencies and allow us o trick these young men into thinking this is a football Nirvana?  So you think these kids don’t read Twitter and see alL of the portal defections?  Give me a break!  We all want UNT to succeed but we need to be honest with ourselves as well.

Coaches, facilities, team's records, conference, location, educational opportunities, and the ability of staff to recruit are factors that far outweigh someone's opinions expressed on social media.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

Honestly, why would any recruit wants to come to UNT when all they read on this board is the coach needs to be fired, our recruiting sucks, we will be terrible next season, our recruits are terrible, we can compete…..on and on.

Ain't none of us here are being paid to recruit. Exact opposite actually... We pay decent money to enjoy our team.

If we had a job at all, it would be to affect change by complaining loudly if they entertainment is bad. And the entertainment right now is "golden corral" levels of... "Meh... I've had worse"

Should we settle and pretend everything is fantastic to lure the few recruits on here?

Or do we put the money down and expect more from the AD?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

All the portal defections?  Are our numbers greater than others?  No, so stop acting like the loss of a graduate OT that wouldn’t be here without the extra Covid year and a set of twins that are now too big for UNT is a mass exodus. Yes, I know there are others, but they are young men that haven’t really sniffed to two deep and are looking for playing time somewhere. 
Littrell already said this recruiting class would be different and I expect the majority of our remaining spots to be filled with transfers to help balance our roster that is underclassmen heavy.
None of you know what is going on, who was here on a visit and who we are recruiting. 
Stop speculating. Just because things aren’t happening fast enough for you doesn’t mean things aren’t happening.  
I read on Twitter recently that we are having a junior day but I don’t recall the date noted. 
Last year’s results were way below expectations, but stop acting like Littrell is out fishing or playing golf or doing anything else except his job. I don’t know him personally, but he has never struck me as someone that doesn’t work hard. Same with Baker.  
There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed but coming on here and criticizing every little thing isn’t helpful.  Hell, we are having great success in basketball and all some can do over in that forum is wring their hands over every little thing. This fan base can be maddening. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

16 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

You act like we're the only school that does this. Go to any message board and you'll see the same. Some schools have way worse fans on social media.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Pretty common at P5 schools. 

Not saying it isn't, but the young man we are referencing is a prime example of someone that has people preaching in his ear constantly about how great he is/was.  They are better served to hear the truth.  Then again, getting them to listen to the truth is another thing.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:46 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Why would a quarterback or receiver want to come here at this time?

OR, one could argue why would they want to come here anytime?

This is Texas forGodsakes. But when it's football season, you couldn't tell it by arriving on the campus of NT.

I was soooooo hopeful that Coy Eakins would come here. Mainly because he was a rare game-day-do-what-it-takes-to-win type of receiver. PLUS for as long as he was here a certain amount of the Stephenville faithful might regularly attend games and teach and/or help change our football culture.........or the lack thereof.

I posted this back on January 13th. To me, it's still relevant to the core issue about recruitment here.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:17 PM, untjim1995 said:

Having grown up in FW, TCU has always had a soft spot in my heart as I went to many games growing up at Amon G Carter and Daniel-Mayer Coliseum and saw great SWC games.

What I’ve always been envious of with regards to TCU is their connection to the citizens of Fort Worth. We have t had even a tenth of what they have gotten from their hometown. People in Denton either don’t care or actively loathe the existence of UNT sports. It’s baffling. Nobody else has that issue with their hometown. 

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were coming back from a fall Colorado/New Mexico road trip and decided to stop in at the Panhandle Plains museum on the campus of WTA&M.  From the moment we entered the city limits of Canyon, and drove through the downtown area we must have seen a WTSU banner on just about every business we passed. I turned to my wife said "what are the chances we would ever see anything like this in Denton?". 

Here is an article in Texas Highways about Football in small towns in Texas.  

WEST TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, CANYON

Last season was an auspicious one for West Texas A&M University: Home games finally returned to campus, and the Buffaloes ended the season with an impressive 8-3 record, a turnaround from the team’s 9-13 record during head coach Hunter Hughes’ first two seasons. The opening of the new Buffalo Stadium in 2019 marked the first time since 1959 the West Texas A&M Buffaloes actually played home games on the university’s grounds. Previously, home games were held at Kimbrough Stadium (recently renamed to Happy State Bank Stadium), north of Canyon. The new field brought a fresh wind of excitement back to Canyon and its Division II team.

Underneath three flags, a statue of West Texas A&M's buffalo mascot on a platform reading "Citizens Bank Plaza"

The white buffalo sculpture honors West Texas A&M’s mascot

The new stadium introduced new traditions. For every home game, WTAMU now closes down 26th Street—which bisects the campus and runs directly toward the stadium—to host the university-sanctioned Buffalo Block Party. More than 60 businesses and vendors occupy the block, which opens to the public four hours before kickoff. Area banks cook hot dogs on enormous smokers, student organizations hand out noisemakers and T-shirts, and local bands provide live music beneath towering elm trees.

The festive atmosphere increases exponentially for homecoming weekend (scheduled for Oct. 16). The Canyon Chamber of Commerce hosts a citywide barbecue called the Canyon Chamber Chow-Down. This year, it will be held in the downtown square. A single admission price includes ribs and brisket. The evening pep rally features student-led chants and music.

During games, the university’s mascot, a bison named Thunder XIV, hangs out on the field in a designated area. In the past, trained students would run the animal across the field after each touchdown, but that custom has ceased due to safety concerns. The live mascot tradition dates to bison purchased in 1922 from Col. Charles Goodnight’s historic Ranch.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Not saying it isn't, but the young man we are referencing is a prime example of someone that has people preaching in his ear constantly about how great he is/was.  They are better served to hear the truth.  Then again, getting them to listen to the truth is another thing.

Saying he can’t start at Ole Mis or Arkansas he wouldn’t  have been successful at UNT is not a good argument. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, you just described just about every HS football player in Texas who started for his team and made all-district. Some have a good perspective about the adulation, and some are just drunk/addicted to it. What I hope for is players from football crazy towns in Texas like this.....

Michael Lawrence - Football - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

President of the local chapter of "overachievers-r-us'.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He has realized the truth (finally) and will likely be starting at Tarleton this year.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

That first one has travelled half the country and is still buried on the depth chart. 

You seem to be referencing Kade Renfro, a quarterback who backed out of a commitment to UNT to sign with Ole Miss. I can understand someone who may be a good qb somewhere being buried on the depth chart behind someone who, at this point, appears likely to be the drafted in the first round of the next NFL draft. It's harder to understand quarterbacks being buried in the depth chart at UNT since the departure of Mason Fine, considering the level of play at that position we have seen.

And honestly, highly talented FBS quarterbacks get benched or beaten out by others all the time, transfer to other schools, play where they wouldn't have if they'd stayed put, and often succeed beyond expectations at the time they transfer, just not here. Of course we're talking about more than quarterbacks in this thread, but that's who you chose as an example, and UNT as a place "not to be buried on the depth chart".

What have we seen in the last 3 years to justify that, for quarterbacks anyway? And I'm sure I'm not the only here to think "hey the first two guys aren't getting it done, next up".

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Saying he can’t start at Ole Mis or Arkansas he wouldn’t  have been successful at UNT is not a good argument. 

Not arguing that point at all, but my response was to the comment that SL is 0-2 in Stephenville.  The QB should have stayed here, but it is tough to argue when Florida St and Ole' Miss come calling.  I think we were at the top of Eakins list until TX Tech got involved.  

All of these kids, or most of them, are the BMOC in their hometown and not many people sit them down and tell them the truth about where their abilities are best suited.  It is what it is, and as a result, we see many in the portal now and a number of them will either "downgrade" the school they are involved with or end up without a school.  Tough lesson to learn.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eulessismore said:

\What have we seen in the last 3 years to justify that, for quarterbacks anyway? And I'm sure I'm not the only here to think "hey the first two guys aren't getting it done, next up".

That is the $1,000,000 question.  I can't fathom why SL is so dogged in sticking with one QB when he isn't getting the job done.  If it is because the others aren't ready, or haven't progressed in the system to where he is comfortable with them leading the team, then that is on him and the coaches charged with prepping these young men.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That is the $1,000,000 question.  I can't fathom why SL is so dogged in sticking with one QB when he isn't getting the job done.  If it is because the others aren't ready, or haven't progressed in the system to where he is comfortable with them leading the team, then that is on him and the coaches charged with prepping these young men.

Ok, I see we have some of the same unanswered questions. I think if any other school is competing with us for receivers or quarterbacks, they may point out the same issues. I actually had some hope that an experienced quarterback coach might be brought in from the outside, but I'm now wondering if SL has decided that his late season emphasis on the run game, which worked ok until it didn't, might be his plan going forward, as we have hired a new O line coach instead.

My brother-in-law from Boise mentioned that he thought the strategy of outscoring their opponents was the way Boise State had succeeded. On this one topic I would agree with him, and that as a way forward for us. Maybe Seth thinks he'll strike lightning with Stone. Objectively though, it seems that Aune regressed last year, when we had no full time qb coach. I really think that SL wants to stick with a quarterback he starts the season with, and once he's changed, doesn't consider other options.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

Objectively though, it seems that Aune regressed last year, when we had no full time qb coach. I really think that SL wants to stick with a quarterback he starts the season with, and once he's changed, doesn't consider other options.

I agree about Aune and Ruder, who started the year, didn't look ready after only being on campus a month.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:18 PM, ntexeagle said:

You're right ...

academy awards oscars GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2