Would you support signing Grant McCasland to a lifetime contract?

Greenrex

I don’t really understand the dynamics of the lifetime contracts. 

All I’ll say regarding Grant is this: I truly think we have one of the very best coaches in America. We’d better be prepared to offer him a significant extension this off season with a massive salary bump. Getting the new Athletics Center project rolling so they can give him a realistic timeframe on breaking ground on the new state of the art basketball arena wouldn’t be a bad idea either. We either go all in and invest in this guy - or someone else up the food chain will. And soon.

• Upvote 3

Definitely not, because there is no rational way to do it. 

NT should have learned their lesson about extended contracts.

Hopefully, Mac wants to stay at NT for a long time, but there is no way that NT can guarantee that happens.  Raise his salary and his buy-out of the contract amount and hope he remains happy at NT. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is blasphemy! Have you not heard of John Hedlund??? 

Yeah he is good and was very good in the past, but his style of play is boring and getting quite dated if you follow the game of soccer.  How old are you?  I am guessing you have been a fan of his for a long time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

I don’t really understand the dynamics of the lifetime contracts. 

All I’ll say regarding Grant is this: I truly think we have one of the very best coaches in America. We’d better be prepared to offer him a significant extension this off season with a massive salary bump. Getting the new Athletics Center project rolling so they can give him a realistic timeframe on breaking ground on the new state of the art basketball arena wouldn’t be a bad idea either. We either go all in and invest in this guy - or someone else up the food chain will. And soon.

This. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Yeah he is good and was very good in the past, but his style of play is boring and getting quite dated if you follow the game of soccer.  How old are you?  I am guessing you have been a fan of his for a long time. 

It is well documented on this board that you shall not reference his style of play, the weakness of the conference he plays in, or that fact that we have never won a game, or scored a goal, in the NCAA tournament. Do not do it. Don’t you know that we have other coaches less successful than him??? You need to lower the bar accordingly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

It is well documented on this board that you shall not reference his style of play, the weakness of the conference he plays in, or that fact that we have never won a game, or scored a goal, in the NCAA tournament. Do not do it. Don’t you know that we have other coaches less successful than him??? You need to lower the bar accordingly. 

Agree! His championships are getting quite boring! Last time I checked soccer’s record 8 CUSA titles is more than all the UNT sports combined! And I do believe all sports at UNT play in the same conference!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Those of us who have played and know soccer refer to his style as “kickball.”  

No working the ball around, no attacking the defense’s weaknesses, no possession…just long clearances from the back and hoping we can run onto one.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1

28 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Those of us who have played and know soccer refer to his style as “kickball.”  

No working the ball around, no attacking the defense’s weaknesses, no possession…just long clearances from the back and hoping we can run onto one.  

How’s that direct style working out for Arkansas! Loved my last game I attended, pre-covid CUSA championship final at home against nationally ranked FAU! Our ladies beat them 5-2, great game, huge crowd! 

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 1

Long term (as in 8 years with high buyout for both sides)? Yes.

Lifetime (or something like 20 years and/or automatic renewals that make him essentially unfireable until he retires)? No.

The no has nothing to do with MacCaslands quality as a coach. He was an awesome grade A+ hire and deserves to get a sizeable raise. It is simply that it is always a bad idea for a university at the midmajor level to do this. Either the coach is successful and eventually gets hired away anyway (don't tell me he turns down Baylor if they double his salary). So the upside is limited. Or he cannot quite keep the same level of success going (most likely eventually stagnates and then starts regressing as others pass him by), and then you are boxed in real bad. While the latter may seem unlikely, something unforeseen can always happen. In the crazy times we live in, a bad word on twitter or something you say and your recruiting is shot, you lose the team etc. Plus we don't fully know yet how things like NIL will impact coach mac in the long term.

And no matter how good the current coach is, the AD needs to make sure he doesn't just have a plan for success, but also one in case of failure. Giving lifetime contracts has fairly limited upside, but considerable downside.

• Upvote 1