UNT Transfer Portal Breakdown

Caw Caw

43 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

So, I know emotions are high around the program, (for a lot of good reasons). But I wanted to put a more analytical breakdown of our transfer portal situation. I used this link here: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24114 as the basis. I will start by saying  we are the second most transferred out of team in CUSA this past year with 14. Brammer, Martin and Both Murphy's aren't updated yet, but i added them to ours.

The average amount of players who entered the portal per CUSA team is 9. The low is charlotte with just two departures to the portal. Two teams had players leave and re-enroll at their school. Rice and Southern Miss each had 13. Marshall lost their starting QB to the Virginia Tech. Western Kentucky lost a first team CUSA DB Shannon Bishop to the Golden Gophers, First Team OL Mason Brooks to Lane Kiffen's Ole' Miss, and second team all CUSA wide receiver Mitchell Tinsley to Penn State. UTEP lost Jacob Cowing, First Team CUSA wideout to Arizona. UAB lost all conference honorable mention DE Antonio Moultrie to Miami. There are more important starters and role guys moving on in the Portal, but this is just some context to the changes going on in CUSA.

This is not entirely a failure on the staff. This is a snapshot of a changing CFB landscape. And what should be a wake up call to a lot of coaching staffs that you need to be recruiting your own players and investing in them just as much as the next wave of recruits. It's like having a hot girlfriend, she's got options so you better stay on your game. The murphy's will likely take a step up in play to the P5 level. If they don't get that type of offer I don't see why they wouldn't potentially come back (unless the family reads this message board, then oooiiieee).

In all of this grandstanding we do about the lack of adaptation on the staff's part to how recruiting is working now with the portal, our fanbase seems pretty stuck in their old ways of: You are either loyal or a traitor. Maybe we as a fanbase are just as (un)adaptive as the staff we criticize. These are business decisions being made by family's. Yes North Texas can get you into the NFL, Darden even broke the draft drought, but objectively there are better opportunities in at the P5 level. And guys like Kason, just want a chance to play. He's not going to get that here. Most, if not all, of us don't know the conversations and situations behind closed doors.

To me, the grad transfers lived out their commitment to UNT. Brammer gave us a whole educations worth of playing time. I understand wanting to go up against different and maybe better competition and learn some things from some new coaches. Kason, is by all measures a true team guy. He paid his dues he played when his number was called, he was responsible for a lot of sideline energy and leadership. North Texas didn't think he was the guy for them despite subpar QB play. He lived out his commitment too.

In the appeared category it's 16 games played total, with two starts from Upton Stout. Cinque Appeared in 5 games, I believe mostly on special teams or filling in for a fairly banged up secondary.

Finally the did not play category. I think some of these hurt for mainly one reason. Lineman at this level are mostly developed. Having younger lineman you've been working on exit after some time in a college program seems like a bigger setback to me, but i'm just some idiot with a keyboard and google, not a coach.

Graduate Transfers:

Jacob Brammer, OL - Starter

Kason Martin, QB - Back up

Starters:

Gabriel Murphy, DE/LB

Grayson Murphy, DE

Appeared:

Upton Stout, DB 

Deonte Simpson

Kenneth Dotson

Jordan Rucker

Cinque Williams

Did Not Play:

Chris Cassidy

John Brunner

Jacobi Johnson

Rayvon Crum

Davontae McCrae

To close, I would say that i'm fairly young in my fandom (2013 grad). But this program is in a much better position than it was even just since I started here. Our recruiting classes have been the highest ranking as they've ever been (this year aside), the facilities are night and day better than they've ever been. Basketball is on the up. Wren and co continued our upward progression in conference realignment. There is a lot to be grateful for. We all want the program to succeed, we all think we may hold those secret keys to unlock the sleeping North Texas Giant, but it's going to take time. Maybe it was the right time to fire Litrell, but for whatever reason, financial, contractual, loyalty, whatever it is, that isn't the situation. I'm not sure bombarding every recruit or offers thread with the negativity or on player parents social media is really the type of thing that adds any attraction to coming to UNT.

Love my school, grateful for anyone who plays here for any amount of time. I was never good enough to do so. I wish every former and future player success wherever they go. 

/End Rant and GMG

Great info, thank you. It will be interesting see how many G5 guys went to P5 schools. I would think in most cases or maybe all they were starters at the G5 level. This continues to make me believe the portal will be more important to us than HS players. Right now most have probably transferred for a better conference. Next year NIL money could be a leading driver. Coaches and staff are still trying to figure it out.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

So in sum, we’re not on our game so we can’t have a hot girlfriend. Sadly your metaphorical assessment is correct. But if you think that is ok, you’re part of the problem not part of the solution. I’d suggest going down to Austin and stirring up some hooha for your state government that keeps dumping ineffective leadership on our long-embattled institution.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, Caw Caw said:

So, I know emotions are high around the program, (for a lot of good reasons). But I wanted to put a more analytical breakdown of our transfer portal situation. I used this link here: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24114 as the basis. I will start by saying  we are the second most transferred out of team in CUSA this past year with 14. Brammer, Martin and Both Murphy's aren't updated yet, but i added them to ours.

The average amount of players who entered the portal per CUSA team is 9. The low is charlotte with just two departures to the portal. Two teams had players leave and re-enroll at their school. Rice and Southern Miss each had 13. Marshall lost their starting QB to the Virginia Tech. Western Kentucky lost a first team CUSA DB Shannon Bishop to the Golden Gophers, First Team OL Mason Brooks to Lane Kiffen's Ole' Miss, and second team all CUSA wide receiver Mitchell Tinsley to Penn State. UTEP lost Jacob Cowing, First Team CUSA wideout to Arizona. UAB lost all conference honorable mention DE Antonio Moultrie to Miami. There are more important starters and role guys moving on in the Portal, but this is just some context to the changes going on in CUSA.

This is not entirely a failure on the staff. This is a snapshot of a changing CFB landscape. And what should be a wake up call to a lot of coaching staffs that you need to be recruiting your own players and investing in them just as much as the next wave of recruits. It's like having a hot girlfriend, she's got options so you better stay on your game. The murphy's will likely take a step up in play to the P5 level. If they don't get that type of offer I don't see why they wouldn't potentially come back (unless the family reads this message board, then oooiiieee).

In all of this grandstanding we do about the lack of adaptation on the staff's part to how recruiting is working now with the portal, our fanbase seems pretty stuck in their old ways of: You are either loyal or a traitor. Maybe we as a fanbase are just as (un)adaptive as the staff we criticize. These are business decisions being made by family's. Yes North Texas can get you into the NFL, Darden even broke the draft drought, but objectively there are better opportunities in at the P5 level. And guys like Kason, just want a chance to play. He's not going to get that here. Most, if not all, of us don't know the conversations and situations behind closed doors.

To me, the grad transfers lived out their commitment to UNT. Brammer gave us a whole educations worth of playing time. I understand wanting to go up against different and maybe better competition and learn some things from some new coaches. Kason, is by all measures a true team guy. He paid his dues he played when his number was called, he was responsible for a lot of sideline energy and leadership. North Texas didn't think he was the guy for them despite subpar QB play. He lived out his commitment too.

In the appeared category it's 16 games played total, with two starts from Upton Stout. Cinque Appeared in 5 games, I believe mostly on special teams or filling in for a fairly banged up secondary.

Finally the did not play category. I think some of these hurt for mainly one reason. Lineman at this level are mostly developed. Having younger lineman you've been working on exit after some time in a college program seems like a bigger setback to me, but i'm just some idiot with a keyboard and google, not a coach.

Graduate Transfers:

Jacob Brammer, OL - Starter

Kason Martin, QB - Back up

Starters:

Gabriel Murphy, DE/LB

Grayson Murphy, DE

Appeared:

Upton Stout, DB 

Deonte Simpson

Kenneth Dotson

Jordan Rucker

Cinque Williams

Did Not Play:

Chris Cassidy

John Brunner

Jacobi Johnson

Rayvon Crum

Davontae McCrae

To close, I would say that i'm fairly young in my fandom (2013 grad). But this program is in a much better position than it was even just since I started here. Our recruiting classes have been the highest ranking as they've ever been (this year aside), the facilities are night and day better than they've ever been. Basketball is on the up. Wren and co continued our upward progression in conference realignment. There is a lot to be grateful for. We all want the program to succeed, we all think we may hold those secret keys to unlock the sleeping North Texas Giant, but it's going to take time. Maybe it was the right time to fire Litrell, but for whatever reason, financial, contractual, loyalty, whatever it is, that isn't the situation. I'm not sure bombarding every recruit or offers thread with the negativity or on player parents social media is really the type of thing that adds any attraction to coming to UNT.

Love my school, grateful for anyone who plays here for any amount of time. I was never good enough to do so. I wish every former and future player success wherever they go. 

/End Rant and GMG

This was a really interesting read and very accurate.  Thank you for sharing your perspective!

19 hours ago, akriesman said:

I wasn't too bummed about losing players to the portal this year, until the Murphy twins decided to leave 😞

It sucks, but in today's environment when your better players put the me/us before the we/team this is going to happen. Again in their wisdom the NCAA (100% sarcasm intended) developed a system that was originally meant to allow player a chance to move on if the situation was not working out for them, but I doubt they figured (insert complete lack of common sense) that it would become an easy way for players who were in a good situation to bolt from their teams for better opportunities. Combine this easiness with the fact that there is basically no way to control or stop others programs contacting and poaching players it will only get worse. As I said, I believe a lot of G5 programs will start looking more and more to the portal to get players and avoid the on-the-job training for the next school. Since many of the P5s are losing depth, expect there to be a rule change to allow for replacement slots on the total scholarship counts to take up for some of the losses - I believe this will also make it worse as it will allow even more opportunities for larger programs to poach players. 

PS - I think we have really failed at our portal program. Hopefully the next HC will make the portal a priority

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, peanuts104 said:

I am just now hearing that we're losing Kason Martin and I am extremely upset with our coaching staff because he never got a fair shake here despite the dumpster fire that has been our QB room for the past two seasons. Best of luck to him, he obviously wasn't appreciated here.

Join the club but it is what it is and we just have to hope and wish him the best.

• Upvote 1