DRC breaking news -- UNT set to hire Randy Clements as OL coach, shift Mike Bloesch to QBs

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC breaking news -- UNT set to hire Randy Clements as OL coach, shift Mike Bloesch to QBs

Y'all.

I honestly thought it was a joke when it was brought up yesterday...

I love my University, and I applaud all the work the football players are putting into this program every day, but this is so incredibly frustrating.   I don't think I was even this upset after the Portland State loss... because something was done about it, immediately afterward.   

This wound is festering and gangrene is setting in.

Neal, Wren, Jared, Brint, and please Don/Dylan (for UNT's sake, not your pal's) AMPUTATE NOW.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

*whispers* I don’t HATE it. 

Here’s the deal, any QB coach worth a damn was not going to come here without assurances that Seth would be here long term. And I think we all agree barring a miracle, he won’t. Have to imagine that Quinn (if he returns) will be heavy involved in QB coaching. 

Assistants move year after year on their way up. I find it hard to believe there are not a lot of FCS, D2, and other highly qualified coaches who would not come here for a year. What this move tells me is that Quinn S is for the most part the de facto QB coach

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not upset with this hire.  Clements has a lot of skins on the wall as an OL Coach.  This move allows Bloesch to concentrate on his OC duties while overseeing the QB's which makes sense.  The technical aspect can be left to Shanbour, with the game planning/prep left up to Bloesch.

This is already what was happening... and what were we getting out of the QB position?

What's the definition of insanity?

EDIT:   I need to say, I think Shanbour has a brilliant football mind.  I'm not condemning him as a bad QBs coach.    And if Littrell actually believed in him, he wouldn't still be a GA acting as QBs coach.   This is just so stupid, and I hope he finds another job with a coach that actually believes in him soon.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all.

I love my University, and I applaud all the work the football players are putting into this program every day, but this is so incredibly frustrating.   I don't think I was even this upset after the Portland State loss... because something was done about it, immediately afterward.   

Neal, Wren, Jared, Brint, and please Don/Dylan (for UNT's sake, not your pal's) AMPUTATE NOW.

It won't happen now. Your only hope is that we don't win 7 games in 2022. And that is increasingly looking probable--which is amazing when you look at the schedule we play next year. Matt Simon, Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney could only dream of a schedule like this while being coach at UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

It won't happen now. Your only hope is that we don't win 7 games in 2022. And that is increasingly looking probable--which is amazing when you look at the schedule we play next year. Matt Simon, Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney could only dream of a schedule like this while being coach at UNT.

Unbelievable, and frankly scary if you care about this program.  This literally may be the easiest non conference schedule we have had since returning back to I-A football?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all.

It's literally like watching a car wreck happen in slow motion or a prolonged joke just waiting for the punchline that never comes. Honestly, how are leadership ok with this? Why do fans care more than the people that get paid to care?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Tom McKrackin said:

Unbelievable, and frankly scary if you care about this program.  This literally may be the easiest non conference schedule we have had since returning back to I-A football?

And then add in Rice, UTEP, USM, La Tech, FIU, and UTSA who are all either terrible or bringing in new coaches or have major changes ahead. 

To not win 7 games against this group would deserve being fired at any point in a contract, much less your make-it-or-break-it season...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

It's literally like watching a car wreck happen in slow motion or a prolonged joke just waiting for the punchline that never comes. Honestly, how are leadership ok with this? Why do fans care more than the people that get paid to care?

We have The University of North Texas (or "North Texas State University") on our diplomas.   We care about the University.
They have The University of North Texas on their paychecks.   They care about their jobs.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We have The University of North Texas (or "North Texas State University") on our diplomas.   We care about the University.
They have The University of North Texas on their paychecks.   They care about their jobs.

Good luck getting a better job if this cluster f*ck is the result of your work

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Assistants move year after year on their way up. I find it hard to believe there are not a lot of FCS, D2, and other highly qualified coaches who would not come here for a year. What this move tells me is that Quinn S is for the most part the de facto QB coach

Quinn S will not the qb coach. His time may be up as a grad assist 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

36 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Unless you are currently unemployed why a quality QB Coach take a one year challenge to work wonders with talent poor QB room and an unknown commodity as the OC?   Because if you don’t work wonders you won’t get to year 2.   This is akin to taking the Texans HC job last year.

I’m sure there is somebody out there better than MB who would take it . Those are all risk that comes with coaching college ball lots of uncertainty 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Quinn S will not the qb coach. His time may be up as a grad assist 

OK.  If Shanbour is gone, we're really, truly, honestly, expecting Bloesch to coach QBs?

If I'm Drummond, I'm hitting the portal ASAP.
And if I'm Ruder, Gilmore, Head, or Earle, I'm PISSED that I used my one free transfer to come to a place with zero chance of progressing my QB abilities with targeted coaching.

How on Earth does Littrell think this is a good idea?     And even more concerning... why does Baker think this is a good idea???

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I know you are newer around here, but you'll come to realize that there is a reason that 2% of the UNT Alumni, students, and faculty ever give back to the athletic program. The city doesn't care at all and almost all of the student body doesn't either. They care when we play SMU here, but that's because they've heard of them and know people from the Hilltop. After that, it goes back to 12k in attendance or less for FCS Spares and CUSA games.

Leadership here cares about one huge thing from sports at UNT--don't cost us money. Always has been, always will. 

And most likely, just like everyone else does except the diehards on here, the P5 giant of your choice will become "your" team or your allegiance will be solely with the pro teams here in DFW. It's what always happens because Denton's culture is completely apathetic to our existence, which leads to the students not caring, their parents not caring, and makes leadership more emboldened to put very little effort into winning. And as we have seen in the last 50 years, we have had 2 coaches who have made winning here possible--Fry in football in the 70s and McCasland no in hoops here in the 20s. And our attendance in both cases to support that winning was basically the exact same as it has been for epic losing under spares like Dennis Parker, Todd Dodge, Vic Trilli, and Tony Benford.

In the end, running on known costs means you lose out on every level of opportunity. It cannot change here without a change in the culture. And I haven't figured out yet how you convince people who don't care or loathe your existence to completely change their minds. Because winning hasn't done it here, having a personable coach hasn't done it, and playing in a conference with regional opponents hasn't done it. Its just one of those things you learn to accept...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.  If Shanbour is gone, we're really, truly, honestly, expecting Bloesch to coach QBs?

And if I'm Ruder, Gilmore, Head, or Earle, I'm PISSED that I used my one free transfer to come to a place with zero chance of progressing my QB abilities with targeted coaching.

How on Earth does Littrell think this is a good idea?     And even more concerning... why does Baker think this is a good idea???

People tend to think things are a good idea when their bosses tell them that's the plan and you do it or lose your job...

• Upvote 1

This is just another small step in the larger picture. 

I don’t care about the details. It’s simple for me. This schedule next year with what we have coming back on the field should be a 10 win team. If this coach can’t win 10 games with these players and that schedule, we need another coach. 

Nine wins isn’t good enough. He got another year. He has zero room for error anymore. He’s out of chances. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean how else are we going to teach our QB's effective trap/pull blocking techniques?

Maybe that's the plan all along. No Brammer? Get Earle and Head to gain 80 pounds and play swing tackle/QB 

• Haha 2

I love how they would kick me out of practice and such because “it’s a secret” and other BS, but in reality the offense was as bland as unseasoned chicken and couldn’t do anything against average defenses.

I just don’t understand not hiring qualified people LIKE AN OC OR QB COACH!!

Bloesch is a great coach, don’t get me wrong, but this seems very very desperate.

EDIT: this wasn’t a shot at the new hire, I think it’s solid but I just find it odd.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is just another small step in the larger picture. 

I don’t care about the details. It’s simple for me. This schedule next year with what we have coming back on the field should be a 10 win team. If this coach can’t win 10 games with these players and that schedule, we need another coach. 

Nine wins isn’t good enough. He got another year. He has zero room for error anymore. He’s out of chances. 

If SL wins 7 games next year, he's gonna get an extension.

10 wins as an expectation here? We've never done that in the last 50+ years, even at the 1-AA level. If someone pulled that off in Denton, that coach would probably get a lifetime extension offer...and still get hired away for performing a miracle. Hell, SL won 9 games here in two straight seasons and KSU was ready to hire him if he would just have allowed them to dictate his coaches. He didn't, we lost staff, and our OL got worse, and that led to 4 win seasons back-to-back. And by climbing the high bar of getting to 6 wins, for only the 7th time since 1995 when we went back to FBS (I-A), it was guaranteed SL was coming back here.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is already what was happening... and what were we getting out of the QB position?

What's the definition of insanity?

EDIT:   I need to say, I think Shanbour has a brilliant football mind.  I'm not condemning him as a bad QBs coach.    And if Littrell actually believed in him, he wouldn't still be a GA acting as QBs coach.   This is just so stupid, and I hope he finds another job with a coach that actually believes in him soon.

I haven't said anything about this situation because I wasn't sure what the hell was going on.  What I have observed early in QS' tenure here as a player was that coaches, starting with Coach Chico, turning their new QB's over to QS to train. He is clearly a very bright person, and a great athlete. But training new QB's in the mechanics of being a QB and then turning the ultimate evaluation and decision making about their starting in a game to someone else is not (IMHO) being a QB coach.

Once when I was attending a spring practice, I sat next to the father of one of the young QB recruits from Texarkana. He was himself a coach. I would make comments about QB's that were getting reps out on the field, and when I mention QS the guy's demeanor changed dramatically. He thought that QS was one of the most brilliant minds he had ever come across and to add to that, he was one of the finest human beings he had ever come across. 

That is all well and good (and very impressive), but if you don't trust his evaluations of QB's, and don't go with his recommendations about who should start, then IMHO, it's time to move on.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

People like to complain and justify bad records when the schedules are hard, but if we win 7/8 next year people will overlook the weak schedule and talking about Seth having turned it around. Seth "The Wizard of Oz" Littrell

• Upvote 2