Breaking news (updated with story): Murphy brothers enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

5 minutes ago, Ken14 said:

When they go to a big time program and dont start.... what happens then?? Do they enter again and Mom and Dad load up the UHaul and move again??  

This is a calculated risk that they have taken and I’m sure Lincoln Riley and all the other coaches are promising the moon.  Sometimes Karma can be a biatch.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The Murphy brothers have moved on.  We should too. 

Hey Plumm, my post was not about the players.  I have no problem with them or anyone else leaving if that's what they want to do.  It's their life, not anyone else's.  I wish them success and hope that with the passage of time they are able to look back on their time here as a great experience in terms of football, the school and the friends they made.  

My post was about the father lobbing a grenade into the middle of the program and fanbase on the way out the door.  Again, I didn't see or read his Tweet, so if he didn't say what was reported, then I withdraw everything I said in response.  However, the facts are that we were able to land the #2 and #1 ranked classes in the conference in the two recruiting cycles immediately after their class, so his statement (if that's what he said) is bogus or maybe he's a better evaluator of talent then the recruiting services and other coaches that were after the same players.  We'll need to wait and see I guess.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, keith said:

Hey Plumm, my post was not about the players.  I have no problem with them or anyone else leaving if that's what they want to do.  It's their life, not anyone else's.  I wish them success and hope that with the passage of time they are able to look back on their time here as a great experience in terms of football, the school and the friends they made.  

My post was about the father lobbing a grenade into the middle of the program and fanbase on the way out the door.  Again, I didn't see or read his Tweet, so if he didn't say what was reported, then I withdraw everything I said in response.  However, the facts are that we were able to land the #2 and #1 ranked classes in the conference in the two recruiting cycles immediately after their class, so his statement (if that's what he said) is bogus or maybe he's a better evaluator of talent then the recruiting services and other coaches that were after the same players.  We'll need to wait and see I guess.

What did daddy Murphy say? Don't use Twitter. 

I know, I didn’t like it either, Keith.  I also didn’t like the UNT running back’s parting shots at the very school who first took a chance on him with a full ride scholarship & then he defected to SMU.  (His parting words almost sounded scripted).  Still, we can wish the Twins a happy landing.  After all, they (& Coach Phil Bennett) play a part in turning our “D” around from the previous disastrous season.

Still, the Portal has been abused to the max from it’s original purpose. So we now know how a jilted spouse feels after she puts her husband thru Medical school only to have him come back & say:  “God bless ya’ honey—it’s been a fun ride, but I’ve now moved up the social ladder, but thanks for everything.

I know negative on GMG is the route even when good stuff is happening in Denton yet we still have to go thru a 100 year litany of why we don’t even deserve good;  but I guess my beef 🥩 with all this is will this thread be at the top of the page “1” year from now as we allow this subject to occupy free rent in our memory bank?  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I was curious about this as well.  When you enter the portal, I am assuming that you are now attending school on your own dime, correct?

Up to the school. Some let them stay but not use facilities and other have let them continue to use workout facilities. I believe in most cases they let them at least finish the current semester unless they are asses

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for those sacks. We will miss their production. Good luck in LA. At least our personal fouls on defense will drop now.

We do not have the best track record recruiting kids from private schools.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

The rules are now made for the more successful programs to raid lower tier teams for talent.

I don't blame the twins for anything, but taken advantage of the system as it now situated. 

This one time free transfer and bidding for players under the NIL current rules will ruin any semblance to competitive fairness. 

I hope the NCAA grows some courage and fights for their existence, and challenges the recent court rulings. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

The rules are now made for the more successful programs to raid lower tier teams for talent.

I don't blame the twins for anything, but taken advantage of the system as it now situated. 

This one time free transfer and bidding for players under the NIL current rules will ruin any semblance to competitive fairness. 

I hope the NCAA grows some courage and fights for their existence, and challenges the recent court rulings. 

Do not blame them for taking advantage, but there is also no obligation for UNT fans to wish them well or hope they secede. As players show less loyalty to schools then they should also expect fans to be less loyal to them.

These situation, not only for us but other G5's will lead to more schools going the transfer portal route. You have to way the potential exodus against the time and effort spent. Is it worth it? Each program will have to decide.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1