Breaking news (updated with story): Murphy brothers enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

10 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Maddening. Don’t see how we replace their on field production - frustrating as they may be at times with the lack of discipline causing penalties.

We likely can’t replace them this year given we are offering FCs and no offer kids.

• Thanks 5
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

If there was any tampering from other schools coaches to recruit our players, is there any legal action that can be taken against the coaches?

From what I have seen the answer is no. There seems to be no rules in place to enforce penalties for tampering

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, p_phelps said:

UTSA and SMU don't seem to have this issue.  These kids see a sinking ship, they don't need to be locked into a bad situation 

The sinking ship was obvious to anyone being objective.  That is what infuriated me about SL defenders.  The weather saved Seth’s job.  Foundational decisions about a football program should not be changed by a weather event.

15 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

It isn’t too late to make a move. Virtually every legitimate option available to us two months ago is still out there. 

Baker has to start righting this ship immediately.  Especially if he has aspirations for bigger things.  As an AD mishandling a FBS football program that actually has resources trumps your other achievements.  This HC position becomes less desirable as the  cupboard empties and the fan base becomes more  Apathetic and or upset

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well crap. The sky is officially falling. All I can say is I was wrong and I’m sorry guys.

It would be refreshing if we hear Wren Baker say this in the next 48 hours.  Those guys get paid to be smarter than us.   I overlooked the second extension Seth received.  It was an indication to me that they didn’t understand what is possible at UNT.  Good G5 programs have their head coaches hired away frequently.  And that is always more desirable than firing a coach you kept too long.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Decided to sleep on this, because I was pissed when I read this.  My comments below are purely hypothetical, or my observations.

Were the twins like by their teammates?   Were they team players or in this for themselves? They sure seemed in a hurry to get together and perform their sack routines after plays.  They didn't seem kosher to PB getting on them for bad plays?  Just spit-balling, but what if they were bad for chemistry?  Their Dad is on Twitter making excuses for their penalties and their "departing" letter was the standard b.s., but the coaches they mentioned by name are gone.  Is this really the start of an exodus or just two players that crave the bright lights and decided those in Denton weren't bright enough?

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

• Momma always said, pastures aren't always greener on the other side of the fence and grass is green where you water it. 
  • Why did they leave?
  • Was it for selfish reasons or they didnt like the coaching staff they have been with for 3 years?
  • Was there a bigger team whispering sweet nothings in their ears?
  • Will they be going to a team that offers both or will they themselves split up like an 80's rock band?
  • Did Professor Plum commit the murder in the conservatory with the candlestick? 
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:
  • Momma always said, pastures aren't always greener on the other side of the fence and grass is green where you water it. 
  • Why did they leave?
  • Was it for selfish reasons or they didnt like the coaching staff they have been with for 3 years?
  • Was there a bigger team whispering sweet nothings in their ears?
  • Will they be going to a team that offers both or will they themselves split up like an 80's rock band?
  • Did Professor Plum commit the murder in the conservatory with the candlestick? 

I'm sure their dad's tweet prior to them entering the portal sheds some light on their decision

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I'm sure their dad's tweet prior to them entering the portal sheds some light on their decision

Yes, he mentioned good players leaving and it didn't appear they were being replaced.  Is he that connected to who we are recruiting?  Have his boys been on campus?  I've been around teams long enough to realize that parents don't always have an objective view of what is going on.  Just sayin'

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

If there was any tampering from other schools coaches to recruit our players, is there any legal action that can be taken against the coaches?

I doubt you will find any direct trail of improper recruiting back to a coach.  I read it's usually done thru an intermediary or former high school coach or friend of the player a school has interest in.  There was rumors of this happening with some SEC schools poaching players from the ACC.  They were accused of using former high school trainers or unconnected friends to make contact saying a school had an interest in them.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Decided to sleep on this, because I was pissed when I read this.  My comments below are purely hypothetical, or my observations.

Were the twins like by their teammates?   Were they team players or in this for themselves? They sure seemed in a hurry to get together and perform their sack routines after plays.  They didn't seem kosher to PB getting on them for bad plays?  Just spit-balling, but what if they were bad for chemistry?  Their Dad is on Twitter making excuses for their penalties and their "departing" letter was the standard b.s., but the coaches they mentioned by name are gone.  Is this really the start of an exodus or just two players that crave the bright lights and decided those in Denton weren't bright enough?

Yes I think this is a fair take.  There were some very selfish penalties at times.  I'm not going full sour grapes though.  They were fun to watch and totally an asset to that defense.  I hate to see them go, but next men up. 

• Upvote 7

Just now, TIgreen01 said:

This new system really, really sucks.  Having to constantly recruit your own roster to fend off other schools just feels like a completely broken system.

Or, allow poor leadership to fester and watch what happens to dudes who have ability but don't want to be bogged down him.

If the football program was in a good place, I'm not so sure these guys leave.

But they have incredible talent that was on display last year, and now have an opportunity not only to get out of their poor situation, but go to a P5 school and prove themselves there.

Taking off my Green-tinted glasses, it's exactly what I would do if I were them.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, edcollopy said:

As a coach told me while reffing a basketball game, the kids don’t want to be coached anymore…they want to be praised. When I saw Bennet lay into one of them after a personal foul, I instantly thought portal. Sad. 

I watched the same at an early home game where one took a bad personal foul on the far sideline and when PB got mad at him the other twin starting talking back to PB.  That's when I knew. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Green Crazy said:

I watched the same at an early home game where one took a bad personal foul on the far sideline and when PB got mad at him the other twin starting talking back to PB.  That's when I knew. 

I noticed this as well. The defense needed this type of coaching this year. We were one of the worst in the country in 2020. Thanks for the sacks, and effort on the field. Good luck at your next spot.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

rewatch the Bowl Game, where one jumped off sides and then the other yelled and bumped a ref, SL just ignored them and PB lit into him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Nobody sets out to be on a losing team for the majority of their college career.  Yes, high character guys who like a challenge want to be a part of a big positive change.  The biggest reasons these guys are leaving are the same ones that keep UNT Students and Alumni outside Apogee on game days.  You can no longer sell the excuses to get younger fans invested in UNT Football, when we routinely see teams we barely heard of that started playing football after 2000 kick our ass routinely.  You don’t get that low by chance.  When the standard is 0.500 and you miss you are terrible.  When the standard is championship and you miss you might still be a winner.  Your decision process has to align with that championship standard.  The decision processes here don’t align with that.  Seth never met nor exceeded the standard but got two 2 raises/extensions?   There is no standard here Seth on the sidelines this coming season is proof of that.  The question is what can and should we do about it.  We don’t have a lot of power. Otherwise things would already be different here.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

This new system really, really sucks.  Having to constantly recruit your own roster to fend off other schools just feels like a completely broken system.

You probably wouldn’t be saying that if we didn’t have a losing coach or department leadership made decisions in line with their stated Championship standard.  Oregon State is no great program.  If we had a winning coach who recruited well that would be G5 level depth behind them and it would probably those backups transferring and not the starters.   It isn’t like these guys transferred to UT Austin, Oklahoma LSU or Texas A&M.  If you have guys transferring to those programs but have depth behind them you’re a G5 program in good shape.  We are whining about big CFB wide issues that we and UNT staff have no control over while retaining a losing coach? 🙄   Let’s get to where UTSA is now then complain about those things.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

Yeah, I was really hoping they’d be able to pull a Hambone maturity over the course of their career here at North Texas. Despite Hambones talent, he would make silly penalties early in his time here. I thought the twins would be able to make similar progress. Oh well. Hope they are still able to make the progress. The D line, PB, and MP have some work to do. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Nobody sets out to be on a losing team for the majority of their college career.  Yes, high character guys who like a challenge want to be a part of a big positive change.  The biggest reasons these guys are leaving are the same ones that keep UNT Students and Alumni outside Apogee on game days.  You can no longer sell the excuses to get younger fans invested in UNT Football, when we routinely see teams we barely heard of that started playing football after 2000 kick our ass routinely.  You don’t get that low by chance.  When the standard is 0.500 and you miss you are terrible.  When the standard is championship and you miss you might still be a winner.  Your decision process has to align with that championship standard.  The decision processes here don’t align with that.  Seth never met nor exceeded the standard but got two 2 raises/extensions?   There is no standard here Seth on the sidelines this coming season is proof of that.  The question is what can and should we do about it.  We don’t have a lot of power. Otherwise things would already be different here.

We are aiming for championships because Wren Baker said so. Remember, they're "building CHAMPIONS and preparing leaders". So, there's that. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1