Breaking news (updated with story): Murphy brothers enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

It would be foolish to stop emphasizing high school players. The caliber of players we are talking about (UNT starters) have struggled to get any real NIL money thus far. At schools like UNT or at bigger name programs. 

You talking about the past when the format has changed dramatically. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Wren is only one to blame if he let's it get that far. Seth never should have made it past the bowl game. But after recruiting was a complete bust should have been enough. Now exodus of our future. We have a big problem.  Also notice our recent offers are not D1 talent worthy by majority. 

The football program is quickly becoming a dumpster fire.  Wren is too late....

Dumpster Fire GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m talking about the present and the past. Neither shows widespread P5 pilfering of G5 developed high school players who became starters.

Marshall qb to VT , Gabriel from UCF to OU there are many players going from G5 to P5. It is not just about pilfering, but do you spend time on a 3 year transfer that has been through an existing program. that basically can’t transfer again, or a HS player with 4 plus 1? 

• Upvote 2

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to Breaking news (updated with story): Murphy brothers enter transfer portal
  • Coach Andy Mac featured this topic

Football sees Murphy twins enter the transfer portal

The pair joined North Texas in 2019 from Bishop Lynch High School in Dallas, Texas, redshirting their first year before playing in a majority of games in the 2020 season.

Their transfer comes after a series of North Texas players entered the portal in the last two days. Starting offensive tackle Jacob Brammer entered the portal on Wednesday night and sophomore quarterback Kason Martin entered earlier on Thursday.

read more: https://www.ntdaily.com/football-sees-murphy-twins-enter-the-transfer-portal/

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No story here until you do some digging and find out why they entered the portal.  I noticed in their insincere tweet that most of the coaches they thanked aren't even here anymore and they were silent about Bennett.

Better get used to this circus as this is just a reflection of the times.

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Or Petrilli or Passwaters.

Now days who knows why they hell some will leave. Get upset or don't feel respected enough. Not saying this is the case with the twins, but overall it is so easy to move on and the tampering and recruiting of other schools players makes these things much easier. But as we move forward players should not be surprised, or upset when fans don't give them the traditional support backing. As I said, IMO, almost all coaches and more and more players have absolutely little to no loyalty to the schools they happen to be working or playing at - so why should the fans be expected to care as much about them as we did in the past.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No story here until you do some digging and find out why they entered the portal.  I noticed in their insincere tweet that most of the coaches they thanked aren't even here anymore and they were silent about Bennett.

Better get used to this circus as this is just a reflection of the times.

If you don’t believe coaches deserve some credit for helping get to this level than you are full of $h!t! 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

As a coach told me while reffing a basketball game, the kids don’t want to be coached anymore…they want to be praised. When I saw Bennet lay into one of them after a personal foul, I instantly thought portal. Sad. 

Yep.  A sign of the times.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Some say the portal is like free agency for college football but it isn’t. It is worse than that because in the NFL you have to play out your current contract before hitting the free-agency market. The separation between the haves and the have nots will only grow with this new system.

• Upvote 5

57 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Some say the portal is like free agency for college football but it isn’t. It is worse than that because in the NFL you have to play out your current contract before hitting the free-agency market. The separation between the haves and the have nots will only grow with this new system.

As I understand it players can only enter the portal once as an undergrad.  Thus, we should be buyers, not sellers, ie  Recruit the portal.  Then they cannot leave on a whim, plus you get older, more mature players having already acclimated to the college level. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, NT80 said:

As I understand it players can only enter the portal once as an undergrad.  Thus, we should be buyers, not sellers, ie  Recruit the portal.  Then they cannot leave on a whim, plus you get older, more mature players having already acclimated to the college level. 

You raise a valid point.  And can Wren or someone in charge please explain why we have basically avoided the portal for years while coaches like Sonny Dykes have used to great effect and against us?  We are a perfect school for the portal.  We sit in one if not the best locations in the country for bounce back P5 transfers.  Houston and SMU have been doing this nonstop to great success.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

They accounted for 40% of our sacks last year. They were the two best players on this team in my opinion.  Absolutely one of the best G5 pass rushing duos, they will have no shortage of offers. I can't blame them, the current signees leave a lot to be desired and our plan of sitting on our ass and seeing who's left after 125 other schools have filled up is garbage.

I promise you that none of Johnathan Pickett, Trent Ward, Fatafehi Vailea, Kevin Greene, Tayshon Johnson, Leblanc, Hutchings, Rausaw, Cam Roberston or Tom Trieb will come even remotely close to filling the void left by the two best pass rushers we've had in 18 years. 

I have watched a lot of embarrassing games and shitty football over the years, when does our time come? Because I've seen about 4 good seasons since 2004. It's not too late to fire Seth. All we are doing is adding another year for the next coach. We all see the difference between a program led by a winner (basketball) and a loser. Littrell has three L's in his last name alone get this fraud out of here.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I tended to think it would be smarter to fire SL than keep him after the bowl (and even moreso did so when NT was 1-6) but when getting to 6-6 thought that keeping him rather than tear it all down and build from the ground up was at least worth some sort of argument. With all the transfers that argument has disappeared, as it is all torn to the ground anyway. This actually should always have been seen as a real possibility given the new rules.

SL might have really turned a corner in the old world because of the 3 years of good HS recruiting prior to this. But he failed completely to adapt to the new transfer portal and rules a. And that appears to be true for both recruiting outside players and rerecruiting his own, which has now become a very important skill. That failure has made any work he did evaporate.

I also think this again shows that for G5s in the future, it is more important to funnel donor/outside money into NIL than into coaching salaries. Imagine if the folks writing the checks for SL had forced him into taking 500 k less and had put that money in a smart way towards the teams NIL. I promise you the portal score would be much better.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4