Breaking news (updated with story): Murphy brothers enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

18 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Saw this coming yesterday

The twins are another example why I believe more and more G5 coaches will stop, or at least greatly reduce recruiting HS players. Why spend the time and resources to develop players.

PS - For those who get upset when fans badmouth player - There is no loyalty in most college sports anymore so players should be fair game

I have never found these men to be ‘kids’ like so many on here have said. I find that to be demeaning. Especially now when they are basically semi-pro.   

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I wonder if we are headed to time with the new recruits will be asked to sign a contract to play at schools.  IF you leave you have to repay your scholarship that you have used.   Not sure what the also rans can do to protect themselves.   I wonder if something is going on inside the program to make everyone start jumping.

Don't see this ever happening. For me, I would stop, or greatly reduce recruiting HS players. Use JUCO, D2, FCS to develop players. Pick up FBS players who maybe weren't getting playing time. 

• Upvote 1

Also… this is just another reason we should have fired SL after he was 1-6. There were plenty of good coaches out there that could have done something for 2022. Now next year is going to be a complete waste and I think I am truly taking a year off… as I mentioned when it said Aune was coming back.  

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Travis said:

I have never found these men to be ‘kids’ like so many on here have said. I find that to be demeaning. Especially now when they are basically semi-pro.   

Do not blame these "kids" because  they're kids. And if they aren't kids as you claim,  then these adults know things are going to be bad here before better.  They have a clock on their college football days and potentially money elsewhere.  If Wren would have fired Seth and brought us hope maybe this wouldn't happen.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Also… this is just another reason we should have fired SL after he was 1-6. There were plenty of good coaches out there that could have done something for 2022. Now next year is going to be a complete waste and I think I am truly taking a year off… as I mentioned when it said Aune was coming back.  

It isn’t too late to make a move. Virtually every legitimate option available to us two months ago is still out there. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Breaking news (updated with story): Murphy brothers enter transfer portal
5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Well said and exactly how I feel.  You know, what’s the point.

The current version of the transfer portal (the one-year sit rule should be brought back) and NIL (which I think is the right thing to do for the players, it’s just not good for the sport) destroyed college football. I unfortunately have very little interest in semi-pro college football, especially because in the current format we have absolutely zero chance of being competitive. I’d honestly rather just drop down to whatever level plays under the old rules. 

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I wonder if we are headed to time with the new recruits will be asked to sign a contract to play at schools.  IF you leave you have to repay your scholarship that you have used.   Not sure what the also rans can do to protect themselves.   I wonder if something is going on inside the program to make everyone start jumping.

Lol go ahead and end any chance of ever being competitive again by doing that 

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Do not blame these "kids" because  they're kids. And if they aren't kids as you claim,  then these adults know things are going to be bad here before better.  They have a clock on their college football days and potentially money elsewhere.  If Wren would have fired Seth and brought us hope maybe this wouldn't happen.  

I am not blaming the kids for leaving. I blame SL. And also Wren for not making the necessary move. 

i am saying that these ‘kids’ aren’t kids and it is ok to criticize them throughout their college career. Especially now more than ever with all the rule changes that basically mean they are paid to play.  

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I mean, I buy season tickets, bring my family to the games, donate to the MGSF, read everything I can about the team, etc.. 

I’m not a Lovelace, but I feel like I do my part to give the players something to invest in. 

And I do it because I fall in love with watching guys like Mason Fine, Jeffrey Wilson & Zach Orr grow and compete and represent my school. 

If the guys like that are just going to transfer as soon as they can, it is not really fun anymore and maybe I should reevaluate how I spend my time and resources. 

That sucks, but it really is how I feel right now. 

Gotcha, and I agree.

You definitely answered the question from a different angle than I was thinking…

I was more asking along the lines of the players’ investments.   They’re putting their futures in football in the hands of someone they obviously don’t trust to reward them for all of their efforts/investments.

I can’t blame them for leaving.  I hope they find a place that helps them succeed.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

UTSA and SMU don't seem to have this issue.  These kids see a sinking ship, they don't need to be locked into a bad situation 

We really haven’t had much of an issue with this, honestly. The vast majority of guys we have lost were players who were not starters or even rotational players. Then we have lost guys like Brammer and Cam Johnson who were starters but already played 4 seasons for us and only had an extra season because of COVID. 

This is definitely much more of a leaving a sinking ship situation, like you mentioned, than it is that schools recruit our players or that there’s no point in developing high school players anymore.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Interesting, we have need of depth at this position at SMU. I wonder if they would like to get compensated for their Names, Images, and Likenesses?

Don't know that we will have room honestly with Camar Wheaton also headed to SMU.  They both seem like good kids and yes LB is a position of need (and they're from Dallas).  Maybe?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2