Neil Young: "I am not censoring anyone." Spotify: "Except yourself."

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Let me preface by saying...  I think Joe Rogan is an ogre that just spews his stream of consciousness without filter, leading to a lot of really dumb things being said.

But that is being countered by equally-appalling posturing & virtue signaling. It's just these things can be done under a veil of righteousness.    Neil got his card pulled. 

Apparently Spotify accounts for 60% of his streams:
https://www.nme.com/news/music/neil-young-claims-spotify-removal-will-cost-him-60-per-cent-of-streaming-income-in-the-name-of-truth-3147562 
He'll likely re-join Spotify without any attention in a few months & act like nothing ever happened.   Gotta make a living, right?  Apparently Spotify knows this, because in their statement about it, they said: "...hope to welcome him back soon."  Lol.

just because you don't like what Rogan says doesn't make it a stream of consciousness without filter. I don't particularly care for Don Lemon but.....you get my point. 

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

just because you don't like what Rogan says doesn't make it a stream of consciousness without filter. I don't particularly care for Don Lemon but.....you get my point. 

I'm pretty sure whenever there's a talk show that lasts for 2+ hours, it's not all scripted out word-for-word.  That goes for everyone, not just him.   He's just talking.

• Upvote 4

Neil knew all along the move Spotify would make and I'm sure he doesn't care about the loss in streaming revenue. I'm unaffected - I use apple music/I have a few of his vinyls. I'm used to artists not being on certain streaming services...we somewhat recently finally got Aliyah's catalog for streaming.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I hate to see this.   Neil Young is a musical treasure regardless of your stupid politics.  Don't you people see they take stuff like this to use for THEIR purposes which are to try and separate us?

I don't think anyone is arguing your points.  I'm certainly not.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Stick to being a SJW

I love that cons think that's some kind of an insult, but I'm hardly a warrior. Thank you though sweetie. 

EDIT: Hang on, which of my recent football opinions was offensive to you? 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem with America is they take the advice from a moron comedian who hosted fear factor instead of licensed medical professionals. I listen to the JRE but I don't take it seriously. He has said numerous times that he is not anti-vaccine, but the media only reports what they want to report. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

57 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

The problem with America is they take the advice from a moron comedian who hosted fear factor instead of licensed medical professionals. I listen to the JRE but I don't take it seriously. He has said numerous times that he is not anti-vaccine, but the media only reports what they want to report. 

Rogan took advice from many medical experts and the concoctions he used work. 
Who took advice from Rogan? The same idiots that took advice from Fauci?

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

Another article in the Daily Beast about Young's "activism".  I don't know.  He's got his opinions.  Some might argue that they're misguided, or that he's an opportunist.  Or that he doesn't practice what he preaches.  Or that he doesn't know what he's talking about.  Which is status quo for most of us.

"For his stance, Young is basking in praise as a principled musician willing to sacrifice his own streaming revenue in the name of science, technological progress, and public health.

This is the same Neil Young who in 2015 released an entire album, The Monsanto Years, that’s wall-to-wall songs from an anti-biotechnology point of view.

Young’s anti-GMO rhetoric helped fuel a narrative that made it easy to spread fear and distrust about COVID vaccines, most of which used novel biotechnology methods and some of which use genetic engineering.

A collective amnesia has set in amongst progressives regarding the left’s past pandering to the anti-biotechnology movement. Reactionary luddism—especially around biotechnology—was both politically correct and convenient for progressive celebrity activists. But that was in the “before times.”

The anti-GMO movement—which rose to prominence in the mid 1990s and early 2000s—attained a key legislative win in 2014 when Vermont mandated GMO labeling of food.

Activists insisted it was vital information for consumers to make informed choices, despite wide scientific agreement that they’re safe for consumption. In fact, not only were GMOs not a threat to human health, they’ve been a boon to it, much like the insulin that has kept Neil Young alive for most of his life. Vitamin A-enriched golden rice, for example, could have saved millions of lives and help prevent child blindness, were it not stymied by anti-GMO activists."

Well I heard ol' Neil put her down.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, MGNation92 said:

Something about all time great songwriters having awful voices. Bob Dylan is another example

Masterful lyricist, but when he opens his mouth it's like nails on a chalkboard

I guess it boils down to a subjectivity about what you find in someones voice. Folk giants like Dylan and Young have some of the most iconic voices in music history but people like to rib them a bit about how they're not great singers. I think the emotional tone they evoke with their voices is superior to someone who can sing up and down the scales in perfect pitch as impressive as that is by itself.

Plus, these guys have been in the public conscious for decades now as old men, I'm not defending any recent music from them as far as their vocal prowess is concerned lol. But I'd recommend to go back and check out their stuff from the 60s and 70s if you don't believe those 2 were great singers. Some songs are HARD to sing as well as they do it.

Specifically, Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall 1971 is one of my favorite live albums ever. His voice is at peak performance around this time imo

Edited by eeeeagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1