DRC: Brammer enters portal after developing into anchor for UNT's offensive line

Brett Vito

45 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

All this boo-hooing over a kid trying to do better for himself seems selfish to me. Obviously I hate losing good talent but I can't blame a guy for trying to take advantage of his talent to experience something new. After college, a lot of these guys will never play again. I don't blame him for wanting to take advantage of his last chance to experience P5 football. He's given the program a few good years and for that let's be thankful. Now it's up to our coaches to take advantage of the transfer portal as well.

I think we all appreciate your turn the other cheek and glass half full attitude.  The issue I and others have are how are you to build a solid program when your best players leave?  And how could you possibly be happy about that?  If your wife leaves you for another man can we chalk that up to her taking advantage to experience a new opportunity?   Sorry to put it so bluntly but that is how I am feeling about this subject.

I get that it is part of the NCAA system we find ourselves in now and that cannot be blamed on Littrell.  Are we certain that leaving UNT is going to be better for him? 

I also worry about tampering in the current climate as well.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, untbowler said:

knowing that he is graduating, is a great thing. Wish him luck in his next endeavor, never understood the hate for a player that chooses to go elsewhere for Graduate School and only has an extra year because of the NCAA COVID garbage year.

Funny how for some you hear "good luck" and others you hear "were falling apart".

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I think we all appreciate your turn the other cheek and glass half full attitude.  The issue I and others have are how are you to build a solid program when your best players leave?  And how could you possibly be happy about that?  If your wife leaves you for another man can we chalk that up to her taking advantage to experience a new opportunity?   Sorry to put it so bluntly but that is how I am feeling about this subject.

What? First, it's part of college football. You only get players for 4 years of playing time barring an exception. It's not like we're in the pros where you wasted a first round draft pick who was supposed to be with your team for 15 years. We know every year, players including starters will leave. Theoretically, you should have around 25 players leave every year if you recruit 25 from HS every year. If there isn't another LT ready to take over, that's the coaching staff's fault - not Brammer.

Second, I can't compare a football player I don't know leaving a year early to my wife and the mother of my kids leaving. If you feel that strongly about this, please, for your sake, understand it's not that serious. You're going to be ok.

My perspective is this. My happiness as a fan is not more important than this guy's life. I want UNT to be the most successful out there but not at the expense of a college kid's personal experiences. If a player wants to leave, that's his life. He owes us as fans nothing. We will survive.

I'm sure the Alabamas of the world don't get mad when a player declares for the draft early. We shouldn't be upset when a player leaves for a P5 for his last year playing the game he's loved his whole life.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I get that it is part of the NCAA system we find ourselves in now and that cannot be blamed on Littrell.  Are we certain that leaving UNT is going to be better for him? 

Not the same thing. You typically have 5 years to play 4. Brammer did that. He now, due to Covid, has a free year to do with as he wishes. Let the man experience what he wishes with the extra year of college football he was granted. He put in the commitment to UNT that he made (the 5 to play 4). Just like Cam Johnson who still regards his time in Denton fondly. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 7:34 AM, p_phelps said:

If you look at offers, he didn't have much as a transfer. But that's the going theme for Seth and Co this yr

Brammer came to UNT not heavily recruited.   The coaches over 5 years help him become a very good RT.  He graded out high over the last 3 years by the coaching staff.  He graduated a year ago and was encouraged over a year ago to stay for a 5th year by UNT coaches.  As an insider to his family you might be surprised by the interest of who has contacted him to talk.  I think it is 4 of the 5 P5.  It was the right time and right move.  Look at his highlight videos.  He needs to play against higher level competition to determine his future in the sport.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Not the same thing. You typically have 5 years to play 4. Brammer did that. He now, due to Covid, has a free year to do with as he wishes. Let the man experience what he wishes with the extra year of college football he was granted. He put in the commitment to UNT that he made (the 5 to play 4). Just like Cam Johnson who still regards his time in Denton fondly. 

Agrer with your assessment.   Try this to get some perspective. You graduate and get employed by a small company.   You give them 5 years of your life and skills.  Another job with a larger company and potentially greater benefits becomes available to you.   Most people go on to fulfill their individual needs and dreams.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Ratings are just that ratings.  Ratings don't necessarily determine how good an athelete is or can be.  Brammer came to UNT weighing 270ish bulked up to 300 and became a starter 3 years ago.  Brammer graded out high during the 30+ starts.  If UNT as a team played for conference championship or won a championship a likely first team usa conference at RT honor was probably.  Also, the OL lined performed great the last year 2 years ranking high among all colleges in rushing. Hard to win games when opponents score 40 points.  UNT still manage to put up impressive offensive stats.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Ratings are just that ratings.  Ratings don't necessarily determine how good an athelete is or can be.  Brammer came to UNT weighing 270ish bulked up to 300 and became a starter 3 years ago.  Brammer graded out high during the 30+ starts.  If UNT as a team played for conference championship or won a championship a likely first team usa conference at RT honor was probably.  Also, the OL lined performed great the last year 2 years ranking high among all colleges in rushing. Hard to win games when opponents score 40 points.  UNT still manage to put up impressive offensive stats.  

I admired the hard work he put in to bulk up from high school tight end to become a college offensive tackle. My dad worked for FBISD so I always rooted for him.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, Tom McKrackin said:

Well, if your wife traded up......

• Haha 1