Hamir Wright

Caw Caw

Anyone have any insight as to why he isn't getting any minutes? Perry taking a hard spill, or anyone else, getting injured out of the 7 man rotation could be really damaging to the success of this team. Just curious why he isn't seeing the floor much under mcasland. Is it an effort thing? Is it a defense thing?

• Upvote 6
  • RV 1

14 hours ago, Cooley said:

Why was he signed? He will be a trivia question on GMG in another 3-4 years. Shocked if he is in Denton after May. 

Grant took a chance and it didn't work out. He may have been the best available to us so we gambled. End of the season will tell how much it hurt us. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Grant took a chance and it didn't work out. He may have been the best available to us so we gambled. End of the season will tell how much it hurt us. 

They still need to find a role for him, and all the bench guys.  We are only an injury or foul-out away from needing them to play. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

They still need to find a role for him, and all the bench guys.  We are only an injury or foul-out away from needing them to play. 

I think with McCasland, the players have to commit to playing defense and rebounding first.  If they buy in to that, then he starts to trust them.  Purely speculation on my part.

• Upvote 4

On 1/26/2022 at 3:10 AM, UNTLifer said:

I think with McCasland, the players have to commit to playing defense and rebounding first.  If they buy in to that, then he starts to trust them.  Purely speculation on my part.

Just seems like half the team never plays, so can’t figure out why they were recruited. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 1/25/2022 at 2:08 PM, NT80 said:

Well, McCasland, may have went 8 deep once or twice; but it is very rare.

I believe some of you have not been watching McCasland coach. 

Again, I don't think it is a player talent issue.  McCasland is just going to play 7 unless forced into using another because of fouls or injury. 

If you are not in the top seven players then you are not going to play no matter how good you are, unless it is a blow out game.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, I don't think it is a player talent issue.  McCasland is just going to play 7 unless forced into using another because of fouls or injury.  If you are not in the top seven players then you are not going to play no matter how good you are.   

I think the really answer is somewhere in between. he went 9-10 deep on that CBI team in '17-'18...a bit tighter the next two years, but still a solid 8 or 9 man rotation. 

it really wasn't until the conference tournament last year that he got super tight with who he trusted out there. 

I don't think Grant would be sitting anyone he felt could significantly contribute on both ends. I think everyone here would've liked to see more from a post-NCAA win recruiting class, but here we are still with a really good team and a good core to build around still...Wright is gone after this year, imma bet so too Browne and Zephir...so the measure of last class will likely be Scott, Morgan, Stone and senior-year Perry. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Well, McCasland, may have went 8 deep once or twice; but it is very rare.

I believe some of you have not been watching McCasland coach. 

Again, I don't think it is a player talent issue.  McCasland is just going to play 7 unless forced into using another because of fouls or injury.  If you are not in the top seven players then you are not going to play no matter how good you are.   

This is a case of correlation =/= causation.   I think the conclusion you came to is wrong.   
He's going to play the guys he trusts to play in his system with as few mistakes as possible.  If that's 7 guys, or if that's 8-10 guys, so be it.

When he first got here in 2017-18, he had 10 guys average double-digit minutes (not counting Mo, who did for 2 games).  He had some serious talent on that roster he inherited from Benford.
The next 2 years, he had 8 guys average double-digit minutes as Benford's guys started leaving.
Last year & this year, only 7 guys average double-digit minutes.

Honestly, (and there have been rumblings on here for the last couple of years that would agree) I don't think McCasland's recruiting is as good as his X's & O's.  I think some of the dudes he's bringing in either can't play to the level he needs them to, or aren't buying into his very defensive-minded approach.

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think the really answer is somewhere in between. he went 9-10 deep on that CBI team in '17-'18...a bit tighter the next two years, but still a solid 8 or 9 man rotation. 

it really wasn't until the conference tournament last year that he got super tight with who he trusted out there. 

I don't think Grant would be sitting anyone he felt could significantly contribute on both ends. I think everyone here would've liked to see more from a post-NCAA win recruiting class, but here we are still with a really good team and a good core to build around still...Wright is gone after this year, imma bet so too Browne and Zephir...so the measure of last class will likely be Scott, Morgan, Stone and senior-year Perry. 

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is a case of correlation =/= causation.   I think the conclusion you came to is wrong.   
He's going to play the guys he trusts to play in his system with as few mistakes as possible.  If that's 7 guys, or if that's 8-10 guys, so be it.

When he first got here in 2017-18, he had 10 guys average double-digit minutes (not counting Mo, who did for 2 games).  He had some serious talent on that roster he inherited from Benford.
The next 2 years, he had 8 guys average double-digit minutes as Benford's guys started leaving.
Last year & this year, only 7 guys average double-digit minutes.

Honestly, (and there have been rumblings on here for the last couple of years that would agree) I don't think McCasland's recruiting is as good as his X's & O's.  I think some of the dudes he's bringing in either can't play to the level he needs them to, or aren't buying into his very defensive-minded approach.

Good points, but I do think McCasland is evolving as a coach, so it is difficult to determine if his substitution patterns are a function of the talent level or his preferred game management. 

I think the most likely rationale for not playing primarily beyond a 7 man rotation, is that McCasland is just not happy with the defense these players have demonstrated 

Simpson is a good example, definitely an offensive liability, but he did before injured get some minutes in prime game time. 

The issue is that McCasland is just not playing the number 8 player and on at all unless the game has been decided.   It seems if developing depth or satisfying players was a concern, he could work in more minutes for the eight and down players. 

I am not quick to criticize easily the best basketball coach, NT has had in at least 50 years.  I just hope that NT can hold on to him for many years. 

• Upvote 4