Southern Mississippi (1/27/22)

Big Z

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

National Basketball Association. 

Also we have 5 guys who play 70% of the possible games time. Proportionally that is more than every player on the Mavericks but 1. Yes NBA and college are different and it’s a much longer season (but college is more condensed). Will have to compare to other college teams.  

I don’t understand so many people having the “easy game” mentality. It’s a conference game on the road. Most times no matter how much better a team you are, you’re simply not going to be able to coast to a win in those situations. Especially with your best offensive player out.

Good win on the road. Still plenty to work on.

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Also we have 5 guys who play 70% of the possible games time. Proportionally that is more than every player on the Mavericks but 1. Yes NBA and college are different and it’s a much longer season (but college is more condensed). Will have to compare to other college teams.  

Mavericks average 99 possessions per game. We average 63.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Mavericks average 99 possessions per game. We average 63.

Part of the break down is actual time (pace of play affects it as well); however when compared to college teams we are only slightly above average it seems. We run a shorter bench than most all, but we use the 2 off the bench more than other teams might. Ex Duke also has 4 guys around/over the 30 min mark, but they play more bench guys. They just play fewer minutes. Fatigue and injuries are always a concern, but minutes per game do not seem to be too out of the norm when looking at it. As I said last week… we are winning so for now none of that matters. Still always kept it in mind though. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I don’t understand so many people having the “easy game” mentality. It’s a conference game on the road. Most times no matter how much better a team you are, you’re simply not going to be able to coast to a win in those situations. Especially with your best offensive player out.

Good win on the road. Still plenty to work on.

I know you can’t. But eliminate the first 4 min of the first half, and the first min of the second half, and we win 54-30 without our best offense player.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Yes; however it’s an overall study of fatigue/injuries. This is preached in high school. Although being dual sport athlete to work different muscle groups is also pushed in high school. 

Dual sports isn't encouraged like it used to be.  Still, the NBA plays an 82 game schedule compared to around 30 for colleges.  Once conference rolls around, colleges are playing two nights a week.  I would like to see Mac run a deeper rotation, but he's earned my trust.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I know you can’t. But eliminate the first 4 min of the first half, and the first min of the second half, and we win 54-30 without our best offense player.  

Never liked this game.  "let's just remove XYZ portion/dynamic/player from game and I can make a point."

Tonight revealed that we aren't invincible.  The first 4 minutes of each half are proof that we could be vulnerable.  It can happen again.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Never liked this game.  "let's just remove XYZ portion/dynamic/player from game and I can make a point."

Tonight revealed that we aren't invincible.  The first 4 minutes of each half are proof that we could be vulnerable.  It can happen again.

Also, we have to recognize that the other team filled with D1 caliber athletes is trying to win too. Sometimes their players make better plays/shots than our guys for stretches of the game. That’s just college basketball. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Can happen to anyone.  I think this was our poorest played game of the year and we still win by 9 on the road.  Careless passing and too many turnovers, but we overcame that and played without our super sub.  All these things can be overcome and corrected in what could have easily have been a trap game looking ahead to Saturday.

Let's go win again in Ruston.  Won't be easy, but we are more than capable.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Also, we have to recognize that the other team filled with D1 caliber athletes is trying to win too. Sometimes their players make better plays/shots than our guys for stretches of the game. That’s just college basketball. 

In the words of the basketball great Ron Washington "That's how basketball go".

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ousmane only played 14 minutes. He should be well rested to take on Lofton this Saturday.

Scott has won CUSA Freshman of the week 3 times this year (3 of the last four weeks), he should win again this week. I think he is on the path to being Conference USA Freshman of the Year.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Twitter… 😬

I have seen the MG basketball team on there but there isn’t a lot of action or talk. I didn’t know it was used as much anymore.

I use that a lot more and it can get pretty active during the game. Fans are starting to realize 

• Upvote 1