AAC News: SMU $100M stadium expansion

DentonStang

17 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Money would be better spent on getting a big time NIL program.  Its a total game changer.  

Get a coach that can have 3 straight above 0.500 seasons first.  Unless you put a retractable dome on Apogee and regional P5 schools come every year attendance won’t change because people don’t come see a losing program.  We haven’t seen a coach here get the best out of the talent we had available since Dickey.  We won’t be able to NIL our way to consistent just above 0.500 ball without good talent development coaching.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

17 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If you recall, Austin Aune was not the starting quarterback to begin either of the last two seasons but stepped up when called upon. He has been a great leader for our program despite not having the arm talent of a Mason Fine. You can whine all you want but I’d rather have him as a fallback than someone like Josh Greer who is terrified to take a snap.

He will probably be the starter and throw sub 55% in completions with have them below 0.500 again.  These facilities don’t mean squat unless recruits believe the team they are going to can compete.  With the current coaching and last 3 years they have very little evidence to show recruits they should believe in them.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Get a coach that can have 3 straight above 0.500 seasons first.  Unless you put a retractable dome on Apogee and regional P5 schools come every year attendance won’t change because people don’t come see a losing program.  We haven’t seen a coach here get the best out of the talent we had available since Dickey.  We won’t be able to NIL our way to consistent just above 0.500 ball without good talent development coaching.

Unless you're talking about wildly incompetent coaching, recruiting matters WAY more than coaching.  A lot of coaches look like X and O geniuses the second they hire a great recruiter on staff

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

They need to get in touch with Rice to find out where to get the best deals on tarps to cover large seat sections.

Baylor at old Floyd Casey was legendary for their tarp too. It even had its own twitter.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

Unless you're talking about wildly incompetent coaching, recruiting matters WAY more than coaching.  A lot of coaches look like X and O geniuses the second they hire a great recruiter on staff

Great recruiters still have to have something to work with.  A great recruiter is not turning Rice into a perennial conference championship contender.  They are very important but think a recruiter can turn conference bottom feeders into powerhouses with bad coaches is just foolish.  

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Great recruiters still have to have something to work with.  A great recruiter is not turning Rice into a perennial conference championship contender.  They are very important but think a recruiter can turn conference bottom feeders into powerhouses with bad coaches is just foolish.  

A great coach is also not turning Rice onto a championship contender without talent upgrade.  At the end of the day the best coaching cannot create generate speed, at inches of height, or create athleticism where it doesn't exist.  

• Upvote 4

On 1/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, greenminer said:

As far as the Wing Zone, I think its days are numbered.  I speculate when that happens, it will be the same time we do the Apogee expansion.

To remove it makes little sense unless we're getting an end zone suites type facility similar to Southern Miss.  It's safe to assume the natural next addition to Apogee is actually the additional rows on the visitor side bleachers for which the over engineered supports under the tiny bleachers look perfect for.  After that I'd assume you have a AD facility upgrade in the south end zone with possible premium seating and suites and then you have a conversation about replacing The Wing® with something better.  Bear in mind we're probably $75m to $100m down the road in improvements at this point if we've gotten that far.

While the seating is less than ideal, it continues to be the perfect cheap GA seats and has a cool architectural element that most stadiums our size don't have.  It would cost too much to remove unless we had something really awesome to replace it with (and we don't).

I'd like to call out that the AD has talked a big game about new premium seating/experiences with the eventual AD building end zone expansion but we aren't exactly filling the Club section up more than maybe 50 percent in the years I've set up there.  I have had the seats next to us filled one game in 5 seasons by a couple I've never seen since then; but the ticket dept swears the multiple times I've bought extras that those seats are filled and I can't buy them. The couple on the other side of us bought 2 seasons and have been gone the last two (maybe covid but I doubt it).  You really think they're going to build an end zone club section that isn't connected to the current Hub Club that the AD has to staff another bar at and have another half ass plastic container buffet at? Doubt it.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 7

On 1/21/2022 at 10:25 AM, mustangfan said:

To my understanding we are positioning to be in the next group for consideration from any future Big 12 expansion along with Memphis.  This could take some time but I do admire their efforts to reach that goal.

First you have to win bowl games, conference championships etc

The Vandals of Idaho have a bowl win, with 9 wins, more recent than smu winning a bowl

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I’m confused as to why anyone would question how buying better players would directly translate to more wins.  Are you not paying attention?  Or keeping your head in the sand and think that cheating, paying players just stopped when the old SWC died?!

The NIL just makes what the best P5 schools have been doing all along LEGAL.  SMU, with its billionaire donors, is going to be a lot better until these rules get reigned in.  Coming on our board and telling us to go get a “cutting edge NIL program” makes me want to puke.  Sure, we’ll just pull a few billionaire donors out of our ass.  Get lost you low life smuers.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, DentonStang said:

A great coach is also not turning Rice onto a championship contender without talent upgrade.  At the end of the day the best coaching cannot create generate speed, at inches of height, or create athleticism where it doesn't exist.  

We don’t lack sufficient talent to be above 0.500 in a G5 conference.  Only the bottom 1/3 of CUSA has that problem.  There is plenty of talent to go around for the upper half of G5 conferences.  The talent gaps in the lower G5 conferences are small.  A recruiter goes after the talent the coaching staff identifies as good and fitting their system.  It is a group effort so separating the recruiter outcomes from the coaches virtually impossible historically mediocre G5 programs.  The brand doesn’t help the recruiter at the G5 level so you need a coach with a good reputation to recruit for.  And that is why our recruiting this year is suffering.  What is a recruiter selling?  Facilities that won’t be finished before these guys graduate or get frustrated losing on the bench and transferring?

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I’m confused as to why anyone would question how buying better players would directly translate to more wins.  Are you not paying attention?  Or keeping your head in the sand and think that cheating, paying players just stopped when the old SWC died?!

The NIL just makes what the best P5 schools have been doing all along LEGAL.  SMU, with its billionaire donors, is going to be a lot better until these rules get reigned in.  Coming on our board and telling us to go get a “cutting edge NIL program” makes me want to puke.  Sure, we’ll just pull a few billionaire donors out of our ass.  Get lost you low life smuers.

Wow calling someone a lowlife for calling NIL for what it is (the future of college football)?  Classy stuff.

IMO, NIL is fantastic for the student athletes that are investing a ton of time and energy into representing their institutions on the field.  Also risking serious, potentially life threatening injuries.  If they can make some money and provide a little bit of financial security for themselves in the process they have more than earned it.  SMU has already stated a goal of $4-5m annually for NIL.  For some of these kids that's going to significantly impact their daily lives.  Money well spent.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Wow calling someone a lowlife for calling NIL for what it is (the future of college football)?  Classy stuff.

IMO, NIL is fantastic for the student athletes that are investing a ton of time and energy into representing their institutions on the field.  Also risking serious, potentially life threatening injuries.  If they can make some money and provide a little bit of financial security for themselves in the process they have more than earned it.  SMU has already stated a goal of $4-5m annually for NIL.  For some of these kids that's going to significantly impact their daily lives.  Money well spent.

Whoever said I was classy?  Now, bye.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1

Somebody please post a picture of that make-shift wood platform/gallows "beer-garden" area in the seats a couple years back, BECAUSE they obviously thought it would offset empty seats, and make it look fuller.    I used to have that photo but cant find it.    Ring a bell anyone?

P.S. I found it.  And this section is gone now...but still...Are you ready to expand your stadium when you had to do this a couple seasons ago?      Listen to all the positivity of the narrator.    When he really should be saying stuff like "Fans are getting excited about this Hail Mary of a desperate idea, to keep out stands from looking so empty. As an added bonus, by extending the platform outward towards the field, it completely cuts off the viewing angle of fans sitting behind it..."

And, if you went to the game earlier this year, I dont think 150 mil could fix their concession wait time and queing.  AWFUL.

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, trud1966 said:

Somebody please post a picture of that make-shift wood platform/gallows "beer-garden" area in the seats a couple years back, BECAUSE they obviously thought it would offset empty seats, and make it look fuller.    I used to have that photo but cant find it.    Ring a bell anyone?

And, if you went to the game earlier this year, I dont think 150 mil could fix their concession wait time and queing.  AWFUL.

yeah but ya know....scoreboard.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 1/23/2022 at 3:32 PM, TIgreen01 said:

Y'all are quite whacky. We aren't talking billionaire money here. If just the posters on this board devote some monthly fun money, say $500-$1000 per month it would make a big difference. You blow twice that on date nights and weekend activities with the kids anyway, just put it to good use. It would make a huge difference to your program.

And look at the good it does.  Take this guy, top 20 WR prospect coming out of HS, did well but got crossways with the new head coach and needs a new start. How's he going to make up for the under the table money he gets at UT?  In the old days he couldn't and would be stuck, or broke. Now he can leverage his name and image and keep his finances stable with a new start at SMU, 100% clean. Win win all around. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2022/01/24/former-texas-receiver-joshua-moore-announces-transfer-to-smu/

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/21/2022 at 10:25 AM, mustangfan said:

To my understanding we are positioning to be in the next group for consideration from any future Big 12 expansion along with Memphis.  This could take some time but I do admire their efforts to reach that goal.

Assuming the Big 12 survives…

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Are you correlating being a UNT fan to being homeless?  Sheeeeit.

Again, thanks for more proof. You are the CougarQueen of SMU posters. Hint--that's not good company to have. Like her, you go to a board of an opponent that you easily out pay, get more coverage from the media, and have more history than our school--damn, how did you ever accomplish that against a school that loves music and arts and has been apathetic or loathed athletics for most of its existence? I mean, seriously, that's you driving your leased BMW down the tollway and stopping at the person on the corner with a cardboard sign and telling them that you live in Uptown in warmth and with hot water while they are freezing cold and hungry.

I'm sure you post on TCU's board all the time, too, since y'all are so rich. I meant they're your rival and y'all beat them last year. I'm sure TCU must be scared to death of y'all now...oh wait, they took your coach.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1