AAC News: SMU $100M stadium expansion

DentonStang

9 minutes ago, Stix said:

My understanding is that there were height restrictions imposed by University Park when SMU built Ford Stadium.  How much of the money is going to go to the UP establishment to get them approve this?

It doesn't look any taller than the existing press box, so there wouldn't be any issue with the city. 

• Upvote 3

Every time I have a major life event I like to announce it to the guy who lives 5 houses down.  

I’m only occasionally relevant in his life…and perhaps the people in my household would be a more appropriate audience…but I just REALLY want that dude to have information that he looks at like this…

image.gif.a7d17d5a493a72f260259e78dec15891.gif

• Haha 5
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 1

This message is being sent to the Big XII--with the real hopes that SMU could somehow get a spot there. But if I look out at the landscape of who will be available, I see Memphis, USF, and Colorado State all ahead of SMU. New markets, good travel partners for some of the outliers, and just don't duplicate a market you have already majorly saturated in DFW, with the presence of TCU, as well as Baylor being 90 minutes south, and plenty of Tech and OSU alumni in DFW.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This message is being sent to the Big XII--with the real hopes that SMU could somehow get a spot there. But if I look out at the landscape of who will be available, I see Memphis, USF, and Colorado State all ahead of SMU. New markets, good travel partners for some of the outliers, and just don't duplicate a market you have already majorly saturated in DFW, with the presence of TCU, as well as Baylor being 90 minutes south, and plenty of Tech and OSU alumni in DFW.

Yeah Big 12 is clamoring to lock down the highly coveted Ft. Collins market.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

Its not so much openly auditioning for the Big 12 so much as ensuring that whatever the future of college football looks like that SMU will be well positioned to be involved.  We're going to have one of the Top 20 NIL programs in a market ripe for transfers and soon with a stadium/facilities that will go unrivaled in the G5 for both football and basketball.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Its not so much openly auditioning for the Big 12 so much as ensuring that whatever the future of college football looks like that SMU will be well positioned to be involved.  We're going to have one of the Top 20 NIL programs in a market ripe for transfers and soon with a stadium/facilities that will go unrivaled in the G5 for both football and basketball.  

The richest kid in the leftovers club...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They probably like the idea of getting that Denver market that would come with games in CO than getting the dozens of Highland Park homes that care about SMU football.

Colorado State moves the needle in Denver about as much as SMU/UNT do in DFW.  Its irrelevant and their program is in the toilet.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The richest kid in the leftovers club...

In an expanded playoff format (and it will happen eventually) there won't be as big of a "leftovers" table as currently constituted.  And if we're willing to pay Top 20 NIL we'll be just fine in attracting top high school and transfer talent.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

All nice, but those don't address small attendance numbers home and away, small enrollment, small alumni base, lack of Dallas support, etc.   All reasons the Big?12 said No Thanks!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

You do see the irony of a school with nearly 40k undergrads that can't draw flies talking attendance smack to a school with 6k undergrads right?

With this logic, why should the B12 even want SMU since they are such a small school that should not be expected to fill the seats? Funny how you guys are "Dallas' Team" except when it comes to attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

All nice, but those don't address small attendance numbers home and away, small enrollment, small alumni base, lack of Dallas support, etc.   All reasons the Big?12 said No Thanks!

This is like an ugly kid laughing at the prom queen runnerup because she didn’t win. So what if they didn’t get in, they are more well positioned than us at the moment so we don’t have much room to point and laugh.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

USF is not. They don't have their own stadium and are still working on an indoor practice facility. I don't know about their basketball arena. They might have a problem with UCF. The president of USF blocked UCF's inclusion into CUSA for years. I think that SMU's biggest problem is that the Big 12 already has 2 small private schools and do they really want another one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

K but that stadium tho…52CBAE08-E4E7-4E74-B60C-4EA8DECCCE92.jpeg

That is what our east side stands should look like, or maybe the east stands at Virginia Tech'

Lane Stadium - Facts, figures, pictures and more of the Virginia Tech  Hokies college football stadium

We've moved up. Apogee was built and very suitable for Sun Belt crowds when our closest rival was in Lafayette. Now we've ascended two conference levels, and we need to start preparing to compete against the SMU/Memphis/Tech/Baylor/OkSt/KSU/Houston level schools. SMU is making the effort and the necessary investment, we should be looking into doing the same.

This horseshit spewed of "don't build the necessary infrastructure to be able to perform like a big program" is exactly what restricted us to being bush league at Fouts Field for so many decades. Build at least comparable to the schools you compete/recruit against, and then promote as necessary to fill those seats.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, ADLER said:

That is what our east side stands should look like, or maybe the east stands at Virginia Tech'

Lane Stadium - Facts, figures, pictures and more of the Virginia Tech  Hokies college football stadium

This horseshit spewed of "don't build the necessary infrastructure to be able to perform like a big program" is exactly what restricted us to being bush league at Fouts Field for so many decades. Build at least comparable to the schools you compete/recruit against, and then promote as necessary to fill those seats.

FWIW, AAC commish has already gone on record stating UNT is the only school among the new invites that has already demonstrated the financial investment the AAC expects.

Obv, this doesn't negate your post, but I don't think Wren and Co are of the same mindset that haunts us from the Belt/Fouts era.  We're in a pretty good place.

As far as the Wing Zone, I think its days are numbered.  I speculate when that happens, it will be the same time we do the Apogee expansion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

This is like an ugly kid laughing at the prom queen runnerup because she didn’t win. So what if they didn’t get in, they are more well positioned than us at the moment so we don’t have much room to point and laugh.

Totally wrong.  Smut has nothing to offer other than death penalty history and upper-crust attitudes.  They are declining and have been since SWC days.  NT is steadily climbing the athletics ladder and is now their peer.  LOL.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

If we are really moving up, then we are almost legally compelled to expand Apogee.

Imagine if we hosted Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, or TCU, which is not totally out of the question.

We have already charged an athletics fee from 42,000 students but are going to lock out all but a few thousand because there simply is not enough room for them at marquee events. That would be unethical. We've come darn close to that scenario while hosting SMU and La Tech which bring out far fewer fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2