AAC News: SMU $100M stadium expansion

DentonStang

Just now, SMU2006 said:

Really happy that Garry stepped up with $50m but also grateful for David Miller, Carl Sewell, and Clark Hunt for their $5-10m gifts.  To have a project that will exceed $100m plus fully funded by donors is really incredible.

When does SMU plan to have the traditional dirt-turning ceremony?

For anyone who knows, but the Super Pit received some funding from the state because they included class space for general students so……I wonder what state funding (if any) because of the class space part of the UNT End Zone facility might we get?  

🦅

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mo Green said:

Hay, maybe their idea is to fill those seats in the new stadium with the basketball cutouts they have used in the past?

You do see the irony of a school with nearly 40k undergrads that can't draw flies talking attendance smack to a school with 6k undergrads right?

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

Just now, PlummMeanGreen said:

When does SMU plan to have the traditional dirt-turning ceremony?

For anyone who knows, but the Super Pit received some funding from the state because they included class space for general students so……I wonder what state funding (if any) because of the class space part of the UNT End Zone facility might we get?  

🦅

Shovels will be in the dirt after the '22 season.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Really happy that Garry stepped up with $50m but also grateful for David Miller, Carl Sewell, and Clark Hunt for their $5-10m gifts.  To have a project that will exceed $100m plus fully funded by donors is really incredible.

That's great.  Go celebrate where someone gives a shit.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You do see the irony of a school that doesn't claim we are rivals although their fans are over here all the time, right?

It would be a bit more of a genuine rivalry if it wasn't such a lopsided W-L.  I think with what UNT is doing and being in the AAC there could be some renewed interest and certainly some closer matchups on the field but you can't really fault SMU fans for not considering UNT a rivalry when its not competitive here at Ford.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, SMU2006 said:

It would be a bit more of a genuine rivalry if it wasn't such a lopsided W-L.  I think with what UNT is doing and being in the AAC there could be some renewed interest and certainly some closer matchups on the field but you can't really fault SMU fans for not considering UNT a rivalry when its not competitive here at Ford.

Yet here  you are.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

As much as I hate, he makes a fair point.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Agree but there are others similar. 

Out of 98 matchups with Oklahoma, Kansas State has won only 21 times. (There have been 4 ties). 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Just now, SMU2006 said:

Not sure where the saltiness is coming from.

Easy.  My hatred of all things SMU.  Their arrogance, their cheating, the embarrassment of how they act while representing the church I grew up in, etc...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Money would be better spent on getting a big time NIL program.  Its a total game changer.  

This is really sound advice. He may be from the wrong side of the fence but this is genuinely good advice and moves the needle way more than upgrading some already nice facilities. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This is really sound advice. He may be from the wrong side of the fence but this is genuinely good advice and moves the needle way more than upgrading some already nice facilities. 

Yes indeed and remember our stadium is much newer than their is.  I do think our athletic center could use some expansion and upgrades though.

• Upvote 2

I still see SMU’s big announcement as something to be admired.  Gutsy to build for the future when what you have is large enough (for now).
It does put the onus on UNT to not stand still in the NCAA facility arms race (& I don’t think we will)

Some on this board when we were still at Fouts Field didn’t think we needed a new stadium until we filled Fouts (X number of times).  That kind of thinking would have ultimately made us small time for a very long time with no future for growth.  

🦅

• Upvote 4

My understanding is that there were height restrictions imposed by University Park when SMU built Ford Stadium.  How much of the money is going to go to the UP establishment to get them approve this?

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

This is something that North Texas is not prepared to do. The tiny east side stands are horribly insufficient for major college football.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

And that tiny part of Apogee always gets 95% of the TV camera shots while few viewers ever see the more impressive press box side.

I've always thought that the next step would be to add suites on the east side, mirroring the west side.  Some additional seating could be added, but if more suites could be sold, that would pay for it.

• Upvote 1

I love it, like it or not UNT and SMU are rivals.  Conference mates for the first, this is only going to stoke that rivalry, I love it. The AAC Power Six Conference affiliation will raise the level of our athletic programs, fund raising and our academics. (If it does not we are in trouble)

From 2023 on the football games will count toward conference championships, the basketball games just the same and we both play good Basketball. I hate to repeat myself, I love it!

Apogee is a Great stadium and I believe it will only get better, especially after the victories start becoming more prevalent. SMU can dream about the Big 12, when we start kicking their a**es, they can come back to Earth.

Let me tell you that Mean Green kool-aide is good, I think I’ll have another pitcher!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

I love it, like it or not UNT and SMU are rivals.  Conference mates for the first, this is only going to stoke that rivalry, I love it. The AAC Power Six Conference affiliation will raise the level of our athletic programs, fund raising and our academics. (If it does not we are in trouble)

From 2023 on the football games will count toward conference championships, the basketball games just the same and we both play good Basketball. I hate to repeat myself, I love it!

Apogee is a Great stadium and I believe it will only get better, especially after the victories start becoming more prevalent. SMU can dream about the Big 12, when we start kicking their a**es, they can come back to Earth.

Let me tell you that Mean Green kool-aide is good, I think I’ll have another pitcher!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

Making the game competitive in the 4th quarter would be a welcome change.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1