DRC: Sources -- Austin Aune back with Mean Green as preparations for 2022 begin

Brett Vito

On 1/20/2022 at 4:35 PM, BillySee58 said:

Still think Earle wins the job. Accuracy is the name of the game and Earle’s accuracy numbers and ball placement on film is just a noticeable step above Aune.

I don’t think Littrell is as married to Aune as people make it seem. Everyone was so insistent with stick with one QB and that’s what he did. While we were winning.

I love Aune to death because he's a local kid but his Accuracy killed us last year. 51% isn't going to win games. I wouldn't of thought he would of regressed from 2020 (55%). At least get to 60% right?

We would of won at least 2 maybe 3 more games last year (La Tech and Liberty...Maybe Miami OH) with a more accurate QB. That and better play calling. 

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

I love Aune to death because he's a local kid but his Accuracy killed us last year. 51% isn't going to win games. I wouldn't of thought he would of regressed from 2020 (55%). At least get to 60% right?

We would of won at least 2 maybe 3 more games last year (La Tech and Liberty...Maybe Miami OH) with a more accurate QB. That and better play calling. 

Losing your top target to the NFL draft and then your new top 3 receivers to injury/suspension hurts those completion numbers.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Losing your top target to the NFL draft and then your new top 3 receivers to injury/suspension hurts those completion numbers.

At least 1-2 times a game, there was a miscommunication incompletion yes but if you were watching the same game I was his throws were off. Like not even close. He would of over thrown Manute Bol. 

At the end of the day it just comes down throwing the football and he just didnt seem to have the accuracy. 

It might be calling the right route for him to make that completion rate increase. Most of Littrells routes are Go routs and those cant be complete every single time. We never utilized the short middle of the field which also would increase his %....I hope. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

At least 1-2 times a game, there was a miscommunication incompletion yes but if you were watching the same game I was his throws were off. Like not even close. He would of over thrown Manute Bol. 

At the end of the day it just comes down throwing the football and he just didnt seem to have the accuracy. 

It might be calling the right route for him to make that completion rate increase. Most of Littrells routes are Go routs and those cant be complete every single time. We never utilized the short middle of the field which also would increase his %....I hope. 

This.

Last year I don't know how many times he threw the ball and I was going "what the hell was that? Who the hell was he throwing to?" And to make matters worse, I don't know how many times he hit a receiver right in his hands/chest and the receiver dropped it. 

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

This.

Last year I don't know how many times he threw the ball and I was going "what the hell was that? Who the hell was he throwing to?" And to make matters worse, I don't know how many times he hit a receiver right in his hands/chest and the receiver dropped it. 

Right. Anything over the middle seemed to be a throw and a prayer. His outs and comebacks felt pretty consistently accurate. 

I wish him nothing but the best.  If he is the starter next year, I hope he’s successful and accurate. If he’s not, that’s okay too. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Right. Anything over the middle seemed to be a throw and a prayer. His outs and comebacks felt pretty consistently accurate. 

I wish him nothing but the best.  If he is the starter next year, I hope he’s successful and accurate. If he’s not, that’s okay too. 

I mean you make some good points and you have to admire his love for the game at an advanced age.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Just spit balling here……

What about ex NT Assistant coach Kevin Barbay?  He was at Florida or Florida State and now up at Central Michigan. Might want to come back to Texas.

Seems to have a fairly solid coaching resume but also doesn’t seem to be a QB guru. He has coached the QBs at a few stops but also a receivers coach. Also not sure we are offering up an OC position with this hire. Anyone seen anything on that or Bloesch’s status? If we are only hiring a QB coach then I doubt someone who is already an OC at the FBS level would be interested.