Just an observation

emmitt01

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I watched the OU game last night and Umoja Gibson looked pretty damn good. Did he transfer there just because it’s OU or did he not like it here?

I heard it was because he wanted to be on-ball more, but was beat out of that role by Javion, who had a way better handle.   
And, obviously, he's a really good player (that coach Kruger saw first hand when Mo dropped 21 points on him when we played OU in 2019), so he's going to have opportunities when he decides to transfer. 

For some reason, he thought being off-ball behind Reaves and Harkless was better for him than being off-ball only when Javion was on the floor here.   Sucks for us.  He'd likely have the role he wanted this year (over Tylor) if he'd have stayed here.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I watched the OU game last night and Umoja Gibson looked pretty damn good. Did he transfer there just because it’s OU or did he not like it here?

One thing floating around, @MeanGreenTexan touched on this, was the on-ball handling.  I'll add the post above: what I heard was he wanted more on-ball because that was how he saw himself getting to the NBA.

I haven't seen him play this year, but his dribbling scared me to death when he was in Denton.  I didn't like what I saw when he was bringing it up the court.  Maybe it has improved.

Anyways, loved having him here in the role he was put in.  A great player.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I heard it was because he wanted to be on-ball more, but was beat out of that role by Javion, who had a way better handle.   
And, obviously, he's a really good player (that coach Kruger saw first hand when Mo dropped 21 points on him when we played OU in 2019), so he's going to have opportunities when he decides to transfer. 

For some reason, he thought being off-ball behind Reaves and Harkless was better for him than being off-ball only when Javion was on the floor here.   Sucks for us.  He'd likely have the role he wanted this year (over Tylor) if he'd have stayed here.

I would prefer Perry over Gibson anytime.  

Gibson was about unstoppable when he was own, but a liability when he wasn't.

Irony is that Gibson may have left to join an inferior team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I would prefer Perry over Gibson anytime.  

Gibson was about unstoppable when he was own, but a liability when he wasn't.

Irony is that Gibson may have left to join an inferior team.

I also prefer Perry to Gibson. Like you said, when Gibson was on, he was really good. Perry is very smart with the ball and his shot selection while I remember constantly being extremely frustrated with Gibson trying to do everything himself and bricking up 3's shooting 2-15, for example, some games trying to shoot out of a rut and killing any momentum we may have. 

• Downvote 2