Kelly Delka

Marty

• 3 weeks later...

Is it time to take the flags off of Olympic athletes or is that the only reason we watch?  Seems that over the last several Olympic cycles (summer and winter) there is an increasing trend of athletes representing or competing for a country other than their own.  Some have dual citizenship, others use some sort of ancestry relationship and others are simply recruited.  Not always, but it's often used as a way for an athlete to get into the Olympics when they otherwise would not be able to.  Is the Olympics primarily an athletics competition bringing the best in a particular sport together and testing the limits of human abilities or has it morphed into something else?  

The Eileen Gu situation got me thinking about this.  She is obviously a world-class athlete in her sport that would certainly qualify for Olympic competition.  She was born here, raised here, lives here, is educated here, but because her mother was born in China she's eligible to compete for China?  I get the whole pride in your heritage and ethnicity thing and I've heard her reasoning.  And yes, I'm aware she's been competing for China for several years.  I'm several generations removed from Irish and Scottish ancestors but I still feel an attachment and  fondness for both.  However, if I was ever a world class athlete capable of competing in the Olympics or if I just wanted the Olympic experience I don't think I could ever (I mean ever, ever, ever) put on a flag other than The United States of America.  Maybe this is just me and I'm an old fuddy-duddy.

If we took the flags off the athletes and it was truly a competition of the best of the best, would you still watch?

• Upvote 1

1) I don't think it's a big deal.  This doesn't appear to be opening any floodgates, like NIL or xfer rule changes did in NCAA.  If it is, I'm fine reading about it and reconsidering

2) I'd still watch.

I'm more intrigued by the Sha-Carri Richardson-Kamila Valieva rulings.

Edited by greenminer

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

1) I don't think it's a big deal.  This doesn't appear to be opening any floodgates, like NIL or xfer rule changes did in NCAA.  If it is, I'm fine reading about it and reconsidering

2) I'd still watch.

I'm more intrigued by the Sha-Carri Richardson-Kamila Valieva rulings.

Valieva was cleared to compete.  They will decide later if any medals awarded need to be taken away.  Basically they all punted to a later date.  The Russians are now claiming that there was contamination due to a heart medicine her grandfather is taking.  

Not sure if her being a minor (15) is also a factor, but the two cases are different aren't the?  One is a potential performance enhancing drug.  The Russian Anti-Doping Agency imposed the ban against Valieva competing then lifted the ban.  The IOC, World Anti-doping agency and International Skating union all appealed the lifting of the ban.  Some World sports arbitration body has allowed her to compete and will decide later.

For Richardson (an adult), the US Anti-doping agency issued a 1 month suspension not because cannabis is a performance enhancing drug, but because those were the rules they had in place at the time.  The US could have lifted the suspension if they wanted to, but they didn't.  Consequently, she missed competing in the Olympics.  I'm sure if the US had lifted the suspension, then the IOC and all other agencies would have objected like they did for Valieva.  

I don't think the Richardson case got beyond the decision by the US Anti-doping agency, so it's hard to determine if they would have been handled differently.

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Eileen Gu should stay over in the country she is representing.

I would love to hear from those that disagree.  Your opinion interests me.

My opinion is that this young lady lives in the our country, has been admitted to Stanford and has unrivaled freedom but she chose to represent one of the most oppressive countries in the world, a country that treats their citizens terribly and whose human rights record and treatment of women is appalling at best.  I will never understand her choice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I would love to hear from those that disagree.  Your opinion interests me.

My opinion is that this young lady lives in the our country, has been admitted to Stanford and has unrivaled freedom but she chose to represent one of the most oppressive countries in the world, a country that treats their citizens terribly and whose human rights record and treatment of women is appalling at best.  I will never understand her choice.

All of that is probably not on her radar.

never understand, or never relate?