DRC: In this week's UNT newsletter look at the unique makeup of the Mean Green, who have four key players who didn't have a DI scholarship offer out of HS

Brett Vito

Are we okay with the state of the program...forever?

Just thinking forward here:

If we remain in appx the same place in all the rankings (NET, RPI, etc...), win an occasional opening NCAA game, are we good? What if within the next five years we never win an AAC title nor get into the S16, do we just keep on keeping on with Grant and Co as long as he wants to stay?

• Confused 7
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am curious as to the status of Matthew Stone.  I haven't seen him on the bench after he played earlier in the year.  @Brett Vito, any knowledge of what is going on with him?

He's been on the bench for the last 2 but COVID was the reason, apparently, for the first few conference games.

He's a true freshman that I wasn't really expecting to play in the first place, unlike Scott.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He's been on the bench for the last 2 but COVID was the reason, apparently, for the first few conference games.

He's a true freshman that I wasn't really expecting to play in the first place, unlike Scott.

Thanks.  I guess I missed him on the bench.  I was hoping he was more of a pure shooter that could spot up and hit some threes.  Then again, if you aren't playing defense and rebounding, you aren't playing for Mac.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

If we remain in appx the same place in all the rankings (NET, RPI, etc...), win an occasional opening NCAA game, are we good? What if within the next five years we never win an AAC title nor get into the S16, do we just keep on keeping on with Grant and Co as long as he wants to stay?

why not we are doing that with Hedlund, it is UNT the admin just accepts average and is fine with it.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 hours ago, greenminer said:

I mean....ask me in ten years.  But if in that time we've won 3-4 NCAA games, a few league titles, etc. I don't think I would want to let him go to "move to the next level."  There are plenty of quality programs that have sustained droughts between Sweet 16 appearances.  Gonzaga, the program everyone in conferences like ours aims to be, made two Sweet 16s between 2002-2014.  They didn't really start breaking through that ceiling consistently until 2015 (and now haven't gone out early since).

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

On 1/18/2022 at 9:23 AM, untbowler said:

why not we are doing that with Hedlund, it is UNT the admin just accepts average and is fine with it.

Average is finishing .500 or middle of the pack in conference.  All Hedlund has done is win or finish top 2 basically every year for 20+ years.  Are we now Nebraska?

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

what led you to assume that's his skill set? 

Well, I didn't really assume that was his skill set, but from watching his high school videos, there are a number of instances where he hits the open three with confidence.  I am sure there is an adjustment from knowing you are good on the high school level to gaining that same confidence at the college level.  I expect him to get there soon after reading about his work ethic and drive.