Biggest UNT fear

southsideguy

My biggest fear is being stuck with a below .500 coach that can't win a bowl game or beat anyone with a winning record that would rather be out on the golf course instead of recruiting while our competition keeps loading up on P5 transfers and highly rated recruits while we are on the hook for a ridiculous buyout due to an unwarranted extension.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

My biggest fear is being stuck with a below .500 coach that can't win a bowl game or beat anyone with a winning record that would rather be out on the golf course instead of recruiting while our competition keeps loading up on P5 transfers and highly rated recruits while we are on the hook for a ridiculous buyout due to an unwarranted extension.

Your biggest fear is winning! GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

13 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Grant leaves us just as we start playing in the AAC and SL is still here when we start playing in the AAC.

I would strongly prepare for this reality. Coach McCasland will be gone as soon as a better job becomes available. He likes coaching games in front of more than about a quarter full arena. As he knows all too well, that ain't here. Hell, he just won a NCAA Tournament game, and we can't get 3000 to go to the Pit.

OTOH, SL has some major advantages. First, he has friends in the Lovelace Family, which are huge donors, as well as having the benefit of being well-liked by WB and NS. After this upcoming year, when he gets 7+ wins against the easiest schedule we have probably played ever as a FBS program, even going back to the Fry, Rust, and Mitchell days, he will get another 3-4 years, as Jimmy Sexton goes and does his thing again. So, when we got to the AAC, in 2023 I'd assume, he will be coaching with at least 3 or 4 years to go on his contract. Our chance to get rid of him just passed when he beat UTEP to get to 4 wins, but clinched it when he beat FIU to get to 5 wins and show "improvement" from the previous two years--at least that was the reason used to not pay almost $3 million to buy him out.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

He likes coaching games in front of more than about a quarter full arena.

You can say that about any coach.  But, without any relevant quote from Mac, bring it up about our coach and very matter-of-factly, as if to paint an anti-UNT picture.

You do that a lot.  Seems like the last year you have been very "woe-is-UNT".    The SL situation, in addition to Denton support in general, is a bed we must lie in.  So, you're not wrong.  But your choice of words is unique.

Just saying, it doesn't go unnoticed.  If I had to guess, this is by design, as if you want some short or long term result from this tone.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Grant leaves us just as we start playing in the AAC and SL is still here when we start playing in the AAC.

See this is realistic, but my ultimate dream is McCasland pulls a Coach K and stays for 2 decades, leads NT to a national championship etc.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

You can say that about any coach.  But, without any relevant quote from Mac, bring it up about our coach and very matter-of-factly, as if to paint an anti-UNT picture.

You do that a lot.  Seems like the last year you have been very "woe-is-UNT".    The SL situation, in addition to Denton support in general, is a bed we must lie in.  So, you're not wrong.  But your choice of words is unique.

Just saying, it doesn't go unnoticed.  If I had to guess, this is by design, as if you want some short or long term result from this tone.

That’s some next level analysis…I wish I was as good (or bad) as you said with my words. I just post as I see it…

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

See this is realistic, but my ultimate dream is McCasland pulls a Coach K and stays for 2 decades, leads NT to a national championship etc.

My realistic dream is Grant pulls a Johnny Jones and stays until Scott Drew retires and he can take over his dream job at Baylor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:03 PM, untjim1995 said:

That’s some next level analysis…I wish I was as good (or bad) as you said with my words. I just post as I see it…

Nothing to do with truth.  More about word choice and implication.

Saying that our crowds are awful is a truth.
Saying that coaches don't like playing in empty arenas is a truth

saying Grant "will be gone as soon as a better job becomes available.  He likes coaching games in front of more than about a quarter full arena. As he knows all too well, that ain't here." has truth to it, but also has false implication.

I can't think of a single instance where a big offer came calling and the coach left because of lack of crowd support.  They leave because they are given more money and resources to win bigger.  But the implication in the above quote is that Grant wants to leave us because UNT support sucks.  And there has been no such Grant quote even remotely suggesting this.  That is not truth.  That is false.

You've been down this road before.  This woe-is-UNT, knock on Denton all the time, grumpy old man vibe.  It sucks.  It's indirect pot shots at our Mean Green family.  Talk about the truth all you want.  But the truth alone sucks right now! You don't have to piss in our cereal and see if people are tasting the difference while you do it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Grant is making $800k a year and living close to his parents home which as he has mentioned is important.UAB is paying $725, UTSA $325..USF and UCF is paying in the $1.1 range. he will get another raise and extension, but I also think there should be dramatic improvement on weight room and trainers facilities. Like Seth's dream is OU, Grants is Baylor. GMG

• Upvote 4