CUSA Race as of 1/16/22

CMJ

Currently the top of the West looks better than the East,  LA Tech still undefeated (they play today).  We obviously know how good UAB is and we're right there too.  Even though we obliterated Rice, they keep winning big games.  And UTEP had a nice road win....they'll be a dangerous floater for everyone I think.

Charlotte is leading the East as of now, but with all their Covid postponements, we don't yet know how good they really are.  We should see in the net week.  After that it's a total jumble.  You just know WKU will find a way to be there at the end and ODU probably will as well.  MTSU seems to be coming back to life after a couple of dreadful seasons, but I'm not ready to say they're gonna compete for their division yet.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

The big 3 of CUSA West (UNT, UAB, and La Tech) have 14 CUSA wins while the entire east division has 9. 

Looking at things down the road, ironically the path to the CUSA Tournament final might be easier for the 2 seed in the West than it will be for the 1 seed.

For example, if the standings ended as they currently are with La Tech at 1W, UAB at 2W, and us at 3W, UAB would get to play the 1E team in the Semis while La Tech would have to play us (assuming we beat the 2E team).

Not necessarily something it will do us any good to worry about, but just sort of shows the lopsided nature of the conferences. Of course, as CMJ said, we don’t really know if teams like ODU or Charlotte might actually push the perceived top teams but we it’s also possible they fizzle out when they start playing more games. Hope we can be a part of that fizzle this week.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

The big 3 of CUSA West (UNT, UAB, and La Tech) have 14 CUSA wins while the entire east division has 9. 

Looking at things down the road, ironically the path to the CUSA Tournament final might be easier for the 2 seed in the West than it will be for the 1 seed.

For example, if the standings ended as they currently are with La Tech at 1W, UAB at 2W, and us at 3W, UAB would get to play the 1E team in the Semis while La Tech would have to play us (assuming we beat the 2E team).

Not necessarily something it will do us any good to worry about, but just sort of shows the lopsided nature of the conferences. Of course, as CMJ said, we don’t really know if teams like ODU or Charlotte might actually push the perceived top teams but we it’s also possible they fizzle out when they start playing more games. Hope we can be a part of that fizzle this week.

I also noticed that. Of course I want to win the division, but a 3 seed in the west is so much easier path to a championship. Basically the same as last year, unless we draw UAB which is something I don’t want until the championship or not at all.

• Upvote 1