Recruiting

GreenGang45

36 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am curious if this is a "one year deal" to balance out the roster post-covid since underclassmen made up roughly 80% of our roster last year?  Just a thought.

Could be but we also got bent over by Miami of Ohio so what reason for optimism do we really have these days in football anyway?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

59 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The latter was one of the best coaches we had last season. I def think he has earned the spot

I mean he probably has more pressure than any coach but Littrell. Think about it, it is one thing to disappoint your boss but it is a whole different dynamic when you disappoint your father-in-law. That can make for some icy times around the dinner table. 

• Upvote 3

I swear, I've seen more back-pats on gmg.com for Passwaters than I have for Novil, Colvin, Jackson & Brown combined.   Pretty sure I've even seen someone back-pat him for his position group "not going backwards".  That's kinda like being handed the keys to a Ferrari, driving it around at the speed limit, and getting kudos for not wrecking it.  You didn't really do anything with it.
Personnel-wise, this group was the 2nd most talented of the entire team behind the RBs.  I think we can all agree there, right?
Plus, I'd be willing to bet he was really leaning on Phil to help him coach these dudes... because he, himself, is woefully underqualified for his job.  His resume says that, not me:
Coaching History
2021-present: North Texas – Defensive Line
2020: Hawai’i – Quality Control, Offense
2017-19: New Mexico State – Graduate Assistant
2016: New Mexico Highlands – Tight Ends
2016: Point Loma High School – Offensive Line
2013-15: Onate High School – Offensive Line
2012: Gadsden High School – Assistant Coach  

He had previously never even coached on the defensive side of the ball prior to his job here.
It's like taking a young System Engineer, and just moving into a Sales VP role.  If he succeeds, he probably has a very good mentor...
If we want to give kudos to DL coaching, they should go to Bennett, IMO.

Now, I'm not saying Passwaters won't develop into a good DL coach.  He probably has the aptitude to do so.   But I think coach Yellock or coach Mathies would have helped this group develop more than Passwaters this past season.

Flame away
dragon-ball-z-dbz.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I swear, I've seen more back-pats on gmg.com for Passwaters than I have for Novil, Colvin, Jackson & Brown combined.   Pretty sure I've even seen someone back-pat him for his position group "not going backwards".  That's kinda like being handed the keys to a Ferrari, driving it around at the speed limit, and getting kudos for not wrecking it.  You didn't really do anything with it.
Personnel-wise, this group was the 2nd most talented of the entire team behind the RBs.  I think we can all agree there, right?
Plus, I'd be willing to bet he was really leaning on Phil to help him coach these dudes... because he, himself, is woefully underqualified for his job.  His resume says that, not me:
Coaching History

He had previously never even coached on the defensive side of the ball prior to his job here.
It's like taking a young System Engineer, and just moving into a Sales VP role.  If he succeeds, he probably has a very good mentor...

Now, I'm not saying Passwaters won't develop into a good DL coach.  He probably has the aptitude to do so.   But I think coach Yellock or coach Mathies would have helped this group develop more than Passwaters this past season.

Flame away
dragon-ball-z-dbz.gif

The kudos for “not wrecking it” was from me because guys like you say how great the DLine already was and that they would’ve been great under anyone anytime I try to give the guy credit for the success of his players. 

Also, one of his grad assistant years was as a defensive coach. The guy has shown that he can do the job, I don’t know why you refuse to cut the guy a break now that he has shown he is capable of doing the job.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Coaching History

Flame away
dragon-ball-z-dbz.gif

So basically what you are practicing here is what we term at work as "ageism", meaning Coach Passwaters is far to young to be so successful early on in his career.  If so I respectfully ask you to reconsider your position.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The Murphy twins are our best pass rushers since Awasom? maybe? and we have two of them. And he also had two 300+ lb interior defensive lineman with a lot of starts under their belt to form one of the best starting 4 in CUSA. Lets see how much of jump Jackson, Brown, and the Murphy twins make and if anyone develops behind them before we say Passwaters is incredible.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

So basically what you are practicing here is what we term at work as "ageism", meaning Coach Passwaters is far to young to be so successful early on in his career.  If so I respectfully ask you to reconsider your position.

*too

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

@Cr1028
I bet you could coach a DL full of DUDES if you had one of the best defensive minds in college football take you under his wing.
ka8r_xZZ9qIg_t0xHxSKBHBvtIT9Lxp5t7zG5LoX

Perhaps, but if that is the case, why have a DL coach at all and why are you still so mad that Passwaters is the guy and not Yellock or someone else? Because they aren’t related by marriage to “one of the best defensive minds in college football”? What difference does it make at this point? Bennett is here, the defense is much improved and our Dline is one of our best position groups. Get over it already man.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The Murphy twins are our best pass rushers since Awasom? maybe? and we have two of them. And he also had two 300+ lb interior defensive lineman with a lot of starts under their belt to form one of the best starting 4 in CUSA. Lets see how much of jump Jackson, Brown, and the Murphy twins make and if anyone develops behind them before we say Passwaters is incredible.

Equally, we shouldn’t call him trash before he has proven to be. It works both way. On the surface it looks more like he is doing a good job than a bad job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

The kudos for “not wrecking it” was from me because guys like you say how great the DLine already was and that they would’ve been great under anyone anytime I try to give the guy credit for the success of his players. 

Also, one of his grad assistant years was as a defensive coach. The guy has shown that he can do the job, I don’t know why you refuse to cut the guy a break now that he has shown he is capable of doing the job.

Also, sorry to harp on it, but this is untrue*(EDIT:  Oops, no it's not actually!) *  According to his NMSU bio:
https://nmstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matt-passwaters/973  

Matthew Passwaters returns to his alma mater and begins his third year as an offensive graduate assistant for the Aggies in 2019.

...the only time he ever coached defense was when he was coaching both lines for a high school team in 2012.

EDIT:  Coach Passwaters has 1 year of defensive grad assistant work before moving back to offense the following 3 years.   He's super-qualified!!

He seems to be getting after it on the recruiting trail, and that is useful I suppose.   Hopefully he can get players to identify with him and trust his coaching abilities.
Smart guy.
Nice guy.
Just not qualified.
And, again, if Littrell refusing to hire him was a dealbreaker for Bennett coming here, then I'm really glad he's here.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
Boy was I ever wrong!
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also, sorry to harp on it, but this is untrue.   According to his NMSU bio:
https://nmstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matt-passwaters/973

...the only time he ever coached defense was when he was coaching both lines for a high school team in 2012.

He seems to be getting after it on the recruiting trail, and that is useful I suppose.   Hopefully he can get players to identify with him and trust his coaching abilities.
Smart guy.
Nice guy.
Just not qualified.
And, again, if Littrell refusing to hire him was a dealbreaker for Bennett coming here, then I'm really glad he's here.

Direct from Meangreensports.com

“Passwaters also has experience as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, New Mexico State, on offense (2018-19) and defense (2017).”

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matt-passwaters/556

Also found here.

https://amp.lcsun-news.com/amp/99188584

Former Aggies offensive lineman Matthew Passwaters will be a defensive graduate assistant for the 2017 season.”

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Perhaps, but if that is the case, why have a DL coach at all and why are you still so mad that Passwaters is the guy and not Yellock or someone else? Because they aren’t related by marriage to “one of the best defensive minds in college football”? What difference does it make at this point? Bennett is here, the defense is much improved and our Dline is one of our best position groups. Get over it already man.

For real?

Seth Littrell is "one of the best offensive minds in college football", yet wouldn't you agree we need to identify and hire the best QBs coach we possibly can, and not a buddy/in-law of his?   

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Classy post."

MeanGreenTexan was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 15 points.

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Direct from Meangreensports.com

“Passwaters also has experience as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, New Mexico State, on offense (2018-19) and defense (2017).”

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matt-passwaters/556

Also found here.

https://amp.lcsun-news.com/amp/99188584

Former Aggies offensive lineman Matthew Passwaters will be a defensive graduate assistant for the 2017 season.”

Well Hell, I'm wrong.   I'll amend my original post.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Before the Murphy twins, there was Scott Blank and Corbin Epps-Montgomery. Both played the 97-98 season.